23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Recommendations On Tire Steps?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
We had a short conversation about tire steps back in August in WHYDTYTT where SCBill recommended this tire step from AutoZone.  But Christmas is approaching and I'm thinking of placing one of them on my Santa's list and thought I'd ask what ones y'all have and how you like them?

A simple search on Amazon turned up dozens of them from $45 to $242, so it is apparently not as easy of a question to answer as I thought and your input is requested.  

(NB: I'll move this to the Garage/Shop & Tools section when we get several answers, but wanted it here to get some quick attention.)

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Recommendations On Tire Steps?

rcarlisle
That's not a bad idea for a gift.  I know I have to go get the little step stool out of kitchen almost everytime I work in the engine bay.  I didn't see a weight rating on it.  I need something that won't fold under 300 lbs.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't see a weight rating on that one either.  But most of them are rated for 300 lbs.

As for the stool, as mentioned in the WHYDTYTT discussion I have one of the aluminum steps that does a good job getting me to the right height.  However, if I lean too far it'll scoot out from under me and I do a belly flop on the fender.  I've resorted to using a ratchet strap to hold the stool to the tire when I'm reaching way out, but thought the tire step would be better.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I saw something years ago someone had built, not as portable or fast as a tire step. He had built a platform in three sections that went front and both sides at about the height of the tire step. The sections hooked together so you had to drive the truck in partially, hook them together and drive the rest of the way in.

Advantage, a walk around work platform.

Disadvantages, need to assemble, disassemble and store between uses.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  But I'm going to hope for one of these steps.  Several reasons, including that I can take it with me on trips.  I was able to work on the carb by standing on the bumper, but one of the steps would have been very helpful.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That was my thought also, it can be carried with you. However, if you would finish the injection system.....
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I like these steps.

How will it fit with the 4WD front axle? Looks to me like it would hit the hub.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - The EFI installation is one of the reasons I want the step.  

Dane - That's an excellent question.  This KAYCENTOP Tire Step from Amazon isn't big enough.  The 17" measurement between the uprights, which is also the dimension at the step, would allow the step to hit the hub.

So I need to find one that measures at least 20" there, and preferably more.  The 20" measurement would allow it to just clear the hub.  So more searching is needed...  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Here are some. E trailer in Missouri.

https://www.etrailer.com/Nerf-Bars---Running-Boards/Powerbuilt/ALL647596.html

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Truck+Tire+Step

Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bruce.  

Didn't realize that Etrailer is in MO.  Cool.  And I think either one of those would work.  They aren't quite 20" wide, but close enough given the set back/out of the step from the vertical arm.  I think they'd clear the hub.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Anytime
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Hi Gary.  My wife picked one up for me a few years ago.  I use it all the time.  I'm sure it was from Amazon.  I'll check it for brand tomorrow and post back here.  
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Heininger Hitchmate 4040 Black TireStep, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z9KE0

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mark - Thanks!  That one looks really good as well.  And it works well for you?  That's what I was looking for.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Yes.  It stows neatly behind the seat and makes an easy reach to the more central parts of the engine bay.

I'm 6' 1" when my wife is critiquing my posture and 185#, it's rated for 400.  I wear a 13. 5 boot and the step is wide and deep.  I did put a few strips of traction tape in the middle and front edge for wet & muddy sole days, but not sure it really needed it with the louvered surface.

'Much better than the 5 gallon bucket I'd never admit to using in mixed company.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I understand about the height.  I used to be 6', but aren't quite any more.  However, I'm closer to it after Janey reminds me to "stand up straight".  

And I used to be 13 stone.  But I think I may have picked up another rock or two in the last year.  

Anyway, a 5 gallon bucket is worse than my step stand.  They are looking for any possible way to get out from under you.  Glad you got the tire step.  And glad you mentioned it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I think I got mine from harbor freight but I cant find it on the site?
I also dont know if its marked who makes it.
I am onthe high side of 260# and I feel it is safe for me.

The other day it took me 10 min to find it, it folds up and it was tucked away and hard to see.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I can't find it on HF's site either.  I get '"tire step" returned 0 results' when I search.  

But thanks anyway.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
This post was updated on .
I would also consider a topside creeper. Mechanics in Texas use them often because so many pickups are lifted, or at least leveled.  
https://engine.presearch.org/search?q=topside+creeper

Personally, my boys and I have height privilege, which helps a lot. And a sturdy front bumper with a ledge, on which to stand.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  That Topside Creeper looks good.  Wish I'd have had that installing the many bits on the engine, particularly the oil pressure switch on the back of the engine and the fuel pressure regulators.

However, I do have a flat front bumper - the Warn winch one - and I can stand on it.  But the chrome there is getting very thin so I use towels on it when I do.  And the winch itself is right in the middle so is in the way.  However, when doing the EFI system I could easily pull the winch and have a decent place to stand.

I'll consider the Topside Creeper.  But for taking with me on trips the wheel step fits the bill.