Rear spring swap for softer ride

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rear spring swap for softer ride

351FUN
So I'm looking to soften the ride on my truck, it's setup from the factory to haul but it hasn't pulled a horse trailer in over a decade. I do not and will not be towing or hauling anything with it, load capacity can be completely dismissed here. I know most of the ride harshness is from the rear springs and I'd like to know if there are any light duty springs that would fit and soften the ride, possibly F150 springs? I found these but they're suspiciously cheap. Truck is a 1983 F250 4×4 with the 5 leaf packs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rear spring swap for softer ride

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had a 7-leaf pack and pulled out 2 of them.  It dramatically improved the ride, but also lowered the truck by 2", so I put a 4" F350 pair of blocks in to replace the 2" F250 blocks.

Give it a try as it won't cost anything.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
Problem is I don't have the space to do something like that, the truck is too big to hide in my garage and I know I won't get away with something that big in my apartment parking lot.  The less trial and error the better, since I'll have to pay someone to do it.  

I really just need to find a place to work on things.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh.  Ok.

Yes, it was a lot of work.  The u-bolts have to come off, the truck has to be held up, and the springs are heavy.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It's not too bad with the bed off .

Part of it is the 133" wheelbase does make it more noticeable. As built Gary's Big Blue and my Darth Vader had identical rear springs. BB rode like a buckboard according to Gary's description, Darth, rough road, the rear does get rough, but Darth's front, being a 2WD uses coil springs, so is much softer even though it is a 3900 lb rated axle (twin I-beams), rear is 7400 lbs, and the duals will hop on bumps.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
There's a really bad section of road just as you turn into my apartment, I paid attention to it last night and the front going over it wasn't bad but when the back hit?  Different story.  I have hit my head on the ceiling more than once at my old house going down the driveway if I forgot to put my seatbelt on.

It's good to hear that worked though Gary, makes me know it can get better.  I do remember when I had it apart for the traction bar thinking I hope I never mess with these springs ever again.  This may have to go on the back burner until I have more space again, I don't think I even have a jack out here that I could use for this.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Not a long term solution, but in the short term, throw some sand bags back there? I do that in my 350 and it makes a big difference.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by 351FUN
I got my springs from here. They slap a label on the springs and ship them without a box. Otherwise they appear to be acceptable quality. There are 1650 lb springs for the F-150 as well if you want middle ground.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
Good to know it's a legit site, thanks.  I may try the sandbag trick for now until I decide on something.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
he stole my thunder. I was about to say put some thing in it. 350-500 lbs tames these trucks down well. that use to be a few tool boxes for me a few years ago.