classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question about seat belts

Gsmblue
85lebaront2 wrote
Now for an interesting fact I discovered on Darth, if you have a crew cab, the rear of the cab (back wall and corners) are the same pieces as a standard cab. The corner trim is also the same. There is a blank filler inserted where the seat belt would come through and there is a threaded hole under the rear trim with a rubber plug in it. At the top corner, behind the trim is a mount for a seat belt retractor, it has the hole stamped in it, but it was never tapped. An extra set of front shoulder belts can be installed there by tapping the hole with a 7/16-20 tap. This brings the rear seat outboard belts up to modern standards for securing a child seat.

You have to use 1980-1986 belts, as the retractor was moved to near the bottom of the pillar/corner in 1987. The retractor has to be mounted in the correct orientation in order for it to function properly.
I noticed this on Elyza when I was sorting the trim out. I am sorely tempted to do this "mod" as it is a clear safety upgrade. Thanks for the info on having to stick with the 80-86 belt retractors.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by CRittaler
YES, the seat belts are different from a bench seat to Captain's chairs.  The plastic sleeve is shorter for the bench seats and has a curve in it.  The plastic seat belt sleeves for the Captain's chairs are much longer and straighter, as they would be seen from outside the seats.

I think the seat belt extender is intended to be used with a bench seat to make the seat belt longer to go around a child seat.  Or if a person is exceptionally large.  It would look silly to use those to make the seat belts longer for use with Captain's chairs.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
I may still have a pair of shoulder belts left over from Darth.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Well, I need to know the answer to this as I'm planning to bolt captain's chairs in Big Blue, which has a bench.  

Unfortunately I can't answer the question of length, but I can say the part numbers are different, and I'd bet the length is different.  Here's what I'm seeing on our page at Documentation/Interior/Seat Belts.  So something is different with bench vs captain's chairs vs buckets.  And I'll bet it is length.

I am planning on checking out some pick and pulls in my area here soon (though they're usually pretty skimpy on bullnose) so I decided to have a look at the part numbers.

My truck is an 85 supercab and from what I can tell the only difference in part numbers in my case is the first 4 characters and only because I have red belts.  This seems strange to me.  were red interiors with captains chairs not a thing in the pickups? or does the E6TZ superceed the E4TZ?

When I do get to the junkyard I'm going to try and grab a set of belts from a truck and a set from a Bronco.  That way I can compare the length and maybe unwind them if say the bronco is longer.  I'm still mulling all this around.  Maybe the belts in an Econoline are longer, I'll have to check them out too.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, the part number prefix of E4TZ decodes this way:

E = the decade of the 1980's

4 adds to the decade, so 1984

T = Truck

Z = Replacement part

So no, the difference is not due to the belts being red.  If you look in the table there's a letter, and that represents the color.  So E6TZ 18611A72-D is a black belt for a Supercab with captain's chairs.  And a star means they are no longer available - in Ford stock, although there may still be floating around out there.

As for length, the belts for a Bronco with captain's chairs should be the same length since the floor pan and B-pillars are the same.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
Thank you for the clarification.  This to me then says the belts should be the same for supercabs between bench and captains, at least in terms of the retractable portion. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know if the lengths on the retractable portions are the same, but I think they might be.  But the inboard portion will be different, so the whole set gets a different part number.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
I had a closer look at the diagrams on the seatbelts documentation page.

It looks like Bronco belts will be longer.  The diagram appears to show that the retractable portion mounts much lower than the trucks, but I'll have to look at one to be certain.  I'm likely going to look for both a set from a truck and a set from a Bronco and worst case maybe I can disassembly the retraction mechanism and swap the belts.

I've also emailed a local dealership to see if they happen to have any extenders (longshot, I know).
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By golly, you are right!  I'll really be interested in what you find.

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
The hard part will be finding exampled of each truck to nab parts from.  They are few and far between in my neck of the woods.

There's one bullnose bronco at a local scrap yard, assuming it hasn't been crushed.  I haven't looked for actual trucks lately.  I'll be checking today and might try to get out there this weekend.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
annoyingly there is ONE bullnose in a wrecking yard within 500 miles of me (Row52.com), but it's a regular cab.

If I go up to bricknose there are multiple, so I might pull one of those belts too just to see how they compare.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The belts on the bricknose trucks mount differently.  There's a spot on the floor where the retractor mounts, as shown below:

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
IF I end up with the bricknose, I would likely end up disassembling the retraction mechanism and swapping belts.  but I'll have to see.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting idea.  

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by CRittaler
well the dealership called me back and said that there were 2 bendix extenders showing at a dealership in California.  I called that one, but they were special ordered for someone and already spoken for.

Interesting note, the parts guy said they are not discontinued by Ford, but they are on backorder as Vendor order.  Parts guy seemed skeptical that they'd be able to get them.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Post the part number and someone might find them for you.

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
Gary Lewis wrote
Post the part number and someone might find them for you.
Part number from earlier in the thread:
E3FZ-61611C22-A

I called a dealership in Oregon and they were able to locate a couple dealerships that show stock.  I plan on calling them on Monday as they're closed now.

I'm trying to avoid ebay as I don't have a US ebay or paypal account so I would have to go through the hassle of getting verified before I could order from there.

I will be venturing out to the wrecking yards as well to see what I can find.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
Well, I got lucky.  I called one of the dealships listed knowing they were closed for the day and expected a response on Monday.

Someone from the dealership called me back and we discussed the belt extensions.  Turns out he had 2 in stock.  He's going to let me know the cost to ship them on Monday.  MSRP is still a penny.

I mentioned that I thought it was a worthwhile longshot to call around to different dealerships since the truck is sol old and he said he has all kinds of old parts around his place.  Didn't give any specifics though.

I'm going to hold off on the wrecking yard until I can see how these extensions work for me.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, you got lucky!  That was a needle in a haystack.  Well done!