Question about parts compatibility

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question about parts compatibility

Turnburn720
A guy near me is trying to get rid of a 19 gallon gas tank with straps and everything, and also a rear crossmember. The trouble is, the truck is (I think) a 76 f100, whereas mine is an 83 f150. Does anyone know if the parts are compatible, or would I need to fab something up to make it work?

TIA
1983 f150 RCLB, carb 4.9, np435 4 speed, 4x4

Connecticut native, bullnose novice
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Question about parts compatibility

86 1/2 Brutus
I just changed mine, bought a new one for 100 bucks at autozone.  The tank in the 76 is completely different from what i can see.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Turnburn720
All of our tanks have E0, meaning 1980, or later prefixes on their part numbers.  But a 1976 will have a 1970's prefix.  In other words, they have different part numbers.  And that means there's something different about them.  What that is I don't know.  But I doubt they are compatible.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
You could probably compare dimensions on a manufacturers website (like Spectra)
But the frame changed quite a bit from the dent side trucks.

Edit: F1B and F1C appear to have similar dimensions.
I do not know if the filler neck or sender bungs are the same.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Bare this in mind as well.  If this is a tank from a 76 truck, you need to take into consideration the fuel sending unit.  Weather it works or not, would really need to be changed.  There is a man that lives down the street from me that has a 88 and a 76 monster truck.  i put my old gas tank in the back of Brutus and brought it and looked at the 2 tanks.  i walked under the 76 and i really dont think it will work, there are to many visable differences between the 2.  
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new