Question about my truck's paint color

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question about my truck's paint color

Steve's Lariat
Hey Everyone, I'm hoping you can help me solve a mystery as I go about restoring my bullnose. My '85 F150 Lariat is equipped with Deluxe TuTone Paint. Right now the scheme is Midnight Blue Metallic and Silver (not sure the exact name). When I bought it, I was told the truck had been resprayed at some point in its original colors. But the Marti report and the door tag list Midnight Blue Metallic and Wimbledon White.

My guess is the Marti report and the door tag are right, and that the original accent color is Wimbledon White. I've only seen one other bullnose with my truck's blue and silver scheme as well.

But is it possible the accent color could have been silver? Perhaps a dealer special order or change?
'85 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Maine and Central PA (where the Bullnose lives)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Question about my truck's paint color

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've put a page from the 1986 F-Series brochure from the library (Documentation/Library) below, and it agrees with my 1986 Color & Trim Selections book - there wasn't a Midnight Blue Metallic.  The dark blue was Dark Shadow Blue Metallic, which was code 7B.

And there was also a Medium Silver Metallic (1G).  But no Wimbledon White.  Instead the white was Colonial White (9M).

If your truck has Deluxe Two-Tone paint & blue interior, which limits the colors, then the options that include 7B were:

1G7B, which is Silver on top & bottom and Blue in the middle

9M7B, which is White on top and bottom & Blue in the middle.

What #'s does your certification label have?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Disregard the above.  Yours in an '85.  Back soon...

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In '85 there was a Midnight Blue Metallic (3L), a Wimbledon White (9A), & a Silver Metallic (1E).  I've included a page from the 1985 Truck Facts Book that shows the color combinations and what tape stripes they'd have and the interior colors they'd come with.

Maybe you should show us some pictures to help us understand where each color is and what tape stripes you have - if any.  And what about a pic of the certification label?  And the interior color?

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
Sorry about the image. Having trouble right-sizing it. But you can see the colors there. My door tag says 3L and 9A.
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
One more image.

'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The order is supposed to be that the first color is the top and bottom of a two-color scheme and the second color the middle.  So you should be looking for "3L9A" in the info above, and I don't see that as an option.

So is the order on your certification label 3L and then 9A?

The only 3L first has 1E/Wimbledon White as second.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve's Lariat
The Marti report relies on factory documentation.
If the dealer (or some PO) resprayed the accent colour to Argent, it's not "factory"...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes, 3L is on the order.

'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That says it should be the Midnight Blue Metallic on top and bottom and Wimbledon White in the middle.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve's Lariat
Thanks, guys. Then I will assume the truck was repainted in silver (argent) at some point in its life but left the factory in Wimbledon White. Like I said, I've only seen one other Bullnose in my color scheme, so wasn't sure if it was even a factory option.  
'94 Jeep Cherokee
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, that was a factory option.  And a sharp one at that.