classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Quality Cab Mounts/suspension

delco1946
Hi All,

Do folks have recommendations for a source for cab mounts? I didn't see a previous thread too focused on the subject, so hopefully this isn't re-inventing the wheel....er cab mount. My whole front end is getting painted and torn apart for body repair so I thought this is a good time to address the smaller things like general rubber and suspension.

To back up a bit, I wanted to do this as it feels like the cab will have a bit of "flex" if that makes sense. Its like I can feel the drivers side cab floor detent or pop a bit if longitudinal torsion starts to occur when a front wheel lifts higher/lower (such as if one wheel is on the road and the other is on the curb). I don't think I have to much structural rust so i'm guessing this is due to worn suspension and cab mounts. This noise also doesn't generally happen when i'm going at a crawl/slow.

The body shop guy seemed pretty adamant that I should only do this if I can find OEM (or NOS) rubber mounts, as anything less would actually deteriorate faster than my existing 40 year old rubber mounts. He also said mine appear to be original.

It seems like after looking around that I want to avoid urethane mounts, as these will transmit a harsh ride. Thus, I think I want rubber. I haven't found any from Rubber the Right Way or Steele which (I think) are more reputable/higher quality. Has anyone found a product they recommend for this?

Also, feel free to identify anything else that I should do while the cab is completely gutted. I already ordered new rubber seals/weather-stripping from RTRW.

Thanks! Christopher
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Quality Cab Mounts/suspension

Rembrant
delco1946 wrote
Hi All,

Do folks have recommendations for a source for cab mounts? I didn't see a previous thread too focused on the subject, so hopefully this isn't re-inventing the wheel....er cab mount. My whole front end is getting painted and torn apart for body repair so I thought this is a good time to address the smaller things like general rubber and suspension.
I have purchased two complete sets of cab and core support mounts, plus hardware, from LMC, and they seem pretty good to me. I can't comment on how well they will stand up for four decades, but my oldest set is now 3 years old, I guess. The 2nd set I've only installed recently. I don't think there are a lot of options for them to be honest.

One issue though is that there is a mistake in the LMC parts listing, so you have to be careful what you order. It was incorrect 3 years ago, and it was still incorrect a few months ago when ordered another complete set. I can dig out the correct part numbers though if you plan to go with LMC.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Subscribed. I went with the urethane and I like the ride in the supercab but the downside is that when twisting there is some popping/creaking that sounds like it is coming from the fender-cab contact points. For that reason, I've debated changing some or all to back to rubber.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Figured I'd note the mistake in the LMC listing in case anybody goes searching for cab mount information. Might save you some of the trouble I went through getting this sorted out.

The issue is the rear lower cushion, item #23. See black arrow below:

For some reason LMC has part number 40-2008 listed for 1980-1986, which is incorrect. The correct rear lower cushion is part number 40-2009, which should be listed as fitting 1980-1996.

There's actually two mistakes, but the first one is sort of irrelevant. For the rear upper cushion, they list a year break, 1980-1994, and the 1995-1996, but list the same part number for both. In any case, they only sell one rear upper cushion, and there's only one rear lower cushion that fits it, and that is 40-2009.

Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
This post was updated on .
Relatively new to the market but these S&B composite mounts were engineered to give the cushion of rubber and durability of urethane.

The price is a bit of a hard one to accept but it comes with galvanized hardware, lifetime warranty, and isn’t that far off if I were to build my own kit from LMC and ship to Canada.  I’ll be getting these soon, and was going to throw up a post going over them when I do.

S&B Filters Body Mounts Ford 80-96
Bryan
1985 F-150 2wd frame off restomod underway, 460ci/TKO600 swapped
Instagram: @fryntrz
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, they are expensive.  But, they should last essentially forever.  And they have 185 5-star ratings and 7 4-star ratings out of a total of 192  So they must be good.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by fryntrz
Those do sound great. Will keep an eye on them (and your review). At that price they are something you'd want to move to a new truck when your old one wears out around them
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Woof. Those are expensive but they seem to be high quality and worth every penny. I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on these!

What’s money for if not to spend

Thanks Bryan!
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well, if Darth ever needs any I will probably go with them, his are still in good shape.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Pulled the trigger. I won’t have my truck back for a while, but I’ll report back (eventually) on these. The reviews seem to be excellent with ongoing product improvement so the only significant complaint related to the included bolts being too short for some may no longer be an issue (I hope).

It feels a bit comforting when spending this kind of money knowing that these trucks are starting to pull 15 - 25k for excellent condition specimens.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, at the values we are starting to see, setting up our trucks to be here for the long haul seems more reasonable.

Please tell us what you think of them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I sure could use a set of those on my Bronco!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Wasn't money I was wanting to spend but pulled the trigger just now as well. Been driving the truck a lot this week especially around town and the creaking/groaning/popping is just too much. Now I am really hoping it's the poly mounts. Will throw them under the 80 1 ton sometime - figure the ride in that one can't get any rougher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic9-gi4plns
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
I sure hope your guys' satisfaction matches the price point on these, and that I didn't make the recommendation at the expense of your pockets!  I'll be looking forward to the reviews, pretty sure I'm going to hire out paint and body this summer but I still won't see the benefit of these for a while.
Bryan
1985 F-150 2wd frame off restomod underway, 460ci/TKO600 swapped
Instagram: @fryntrz
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Scuffed pucks are free at the local rink.  

Somehow $455/6  seems a bit unreasonable for a cab mount under an almost 40 year old truck.

But I guess this goes back to the what's it worth debate, or Gary's idea of insurance coverage for Big Blue.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Scuffed pucks are free at the local rink.  
I used to see hockey puck body lifts all the time years ago...lol. They were noticeable on the old Jeep CJ-7's.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Of course you did.  It's your national pastime.... playing hockey.
(Notice I was careful to avoid 'Lacrosse'   )

Just pointing out that ~$75 each is as absurd as paying $0 and expecting compliance.

Both will do the job.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Bryan - you and me both
I called and spoke to them yesterday asking some general questions since it's not a small purchase. Very friendly and helpful.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
Been driving the truck a lot this week especially around town and the creaking/groaning/popping is just too much. Now I am really hoping it's the poly mounts. Will throw them under the 80 1 ton sometime - figure the ride in that one can't get any rougher.
Did you grease the polyurethane surfaces contacting metal?
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
The sway bar bushings, yes but no on the body mounts.
It's a good question and I've seen some say yes, some say no. Most I've seen saying yes refer to squeaking. Mine is definitely more of a popping/groaning noise.
Instructions don't mention it and here is Gary's experience.

My thought process on it is that I wouldn't want the bushings to move against the fame or body but rather the bushings should flex. Which with polyurethane it pushes more of that responsibility to the suspension and when that doesn't do it, the body.

What are you thinking? Should they get grease?

It's very possible that even with these new mounts I will still have the issue (hope not though ) and will have to start removing things. The mounts just seem like the most likely culprit.
Scott