Quad shocks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Quad shocks

El Chapo
My bronco has the quad shocks setup and I’m planning on installing new shocks all the way around soon. Any recommendations on what shocks I should install… I have the budget but don’t want to go overboard just looking for the best ride. No heavy towing planned. I heard I could do without the front shock? Again I just want the smoothest possible ride, so by eliminating it will this help or hurt.
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Quad shocks

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When I put shocks on Dad's truck, which has quad shocks, I called Monroe and they said that you do NOT want to use four of the same shocks.  They have a setup with different shocks for the front of the two vs the rear of the front shocks.

I bought their setup and the ride was noticeably better than whatever Dad had on it.  Call Monroe.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by El Chapo
I also used the Monroe set upon my 92 Bronco.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I put kyb gas-a-just on my 82 all around. Not sure if they are good or bad, but I don’t like the ride.

It doesn’t bounce like is is undamped, but it certainly feels like it crashes around. Maybe they are too stiff?

Anyway, I will change them next year for something then I will have a comparison.

Hmm, this is not helping much… sorry.

1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Called Monroe they recommended (based on my criteria) the OESpectrum #37095 for the front-rear and #37036 for the forward-front, and for the rear #37037. I decided on a new steering-damper #SC2912. I’m planning on installing these myself so wish me luck ..suggestions on doing so is appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you'll be pleased with those shocks.  

As for installing them, soak the bolts and especially the nuts on the top of the front shocks with something like PB Blaster.  That nut can sometimes be a pain as there's usually not much to get hold of if the nut doesn't break loose.

Also, the shocks are what limits the travel of the suspension, so if you decide to jack it up to do the swap then don't go all the way up.  And please be safe!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
When I changed out my shocks, I was surprised how easy it was. Good wrenches and some pb blaster is all it took. I didn’t jack my Bronco up.

Post pics of your before and after!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I wouldn’t expect a good ride in a Bronco. My opinion of course, but I don’t think they were built for comfort.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
The Monroe’s were delivered by Amazon yesterday and I installed the front quads and steering stabilizer this morning. I found the whole process to be pretty straight forward and thankfully no glitches. I was a little worried when I removed the Ranchos as they seemed to be in ok condition for being at least 15 years old, also they seemed to be so much more substantial then the OESpetrums. But the proof was in the ride, I’m definitely happy!! I noticed a big difference I went down the same roads as before on the test drive and was surprised by the improvement but it’s still a bronco so there’s always going to be that. No Cadillac for sure! But it was worth the time and money. Planning a little trip with the wife across town tomorrow she hasn’t rode the Bronco yet and glad she won’t be scared off .. I hope anyway🤷🏽‍♂️. PS: I didn’t lift it just turned the wheel for easy access.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I’m glad it worked out so well!