classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pulling Bed - Input Please?

Machspeed
Administrator
Hey friends, going to be pulling the bed on my truck soon in order to fix the non working fuel gauge and clean up the frame a bit. While the bed is off, any recommendations on parts replacement or improvement to existing areas? Everything under that bed is original and I don't want to pull it again. Thanks!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pulling Bed - Input Please?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If yours has the Nylon fuel lines, like I think it should, they'll be fine.  But the rollover valve and the hose to it would be good to replace.  The valve can leak and the hose get brittle and leak as well.

If you have a skid plate I'd see if it needs to be cleaned to get trapped dirt off it that will eventually rust it out.  And put anti-seize on the threads thereof.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks Gary, that's the kinda stuff I was looking for!  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
While the bed is off, take a look at the rear cab mounts and make sure there isn't any corrosion building there on top of the crossmember.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
If you front tank has the plastic heat shield on the front, check under it for dirt build up, the tank seam is angled and that is the high side causing dirt to sit there.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks fellas, appreciate the input. Wondering if I should expect to replace the rubber fill tank hoses as well. I guess inspection will tell.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
hoses are reasonable and yes if you can get them replace them. save the old ones for spares if you are frugal