Project Domino...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Project Domino...

Bigfridge417
Got brave and decided to document the rebuilding process of the truck.  A little back story, this was bought as a happy accident.  On a parts run on another project, my friend and I strike up a conversation with the counter parts guy who asks what we were working on.  On telling him that it was a early 70's Bronco, he says that he has an 84 F-150 with a "coyote" motor in it for a low amount.  Curious we said sure we'll take a look at it.  Well it didn't have a coyote in it, but what I will call a Wyle E Coyote in it, regular old two barrel 302.  It starts and he offers us to take it for a spin, nah we will pass for now but my friend swaps contact information with him and says we will think about it.  Fast forward two days my buddy texts and says that he is going to contact the kid about the truck, I said cool would make a good flip project if nothing else.  Buddy texts back a story that the kid gave him, his grandpa was driving the truck and they think that the motor let loose and is sitting on the shoulder of a country highway.  Asks what do I think we should do, I said offer the kid $400 and see if he bites.  He did, and we now have a truck that ticked all of my boxes at least: 4x4, manual, V8 (I'm not too hard to please).  Friend went out, loaded the truck up, did the business deal, and drug the truck to his house.  Threw a battery in it, fires up, backs off of the trailer, and around the pasture.  I get excited, buy said truck and that is where the dominos started to fall.

So after all the excitement wears off, we start digging into the 302, stock with some new parts, newish 2 barrel, alternator, and starter.  Notice that the clutch is slipping pretty bad, look and there is a sizeable oil leak from the rear of the intake.  Huh strange, no biggie will pull the carb and intake to see what is going on there, boom first issue.

Can't believe the amount of deposits in the valley.  So we clean the valley out and look at each other, should we pull the valve covers, I guess let's start with the captain's side of the engine, surely it can't be that bad?  

Well we then clean that out and say well we are this far might as well do the co-pilot's side, can't be that bad?  

Lesson learned that day, quit saying "It can't be that bad, right?"
Bigfridge417
1984 F-150
302, 4x4, 4 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Project Domino...

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How many miles are on Domino?
Granpappy doesn't believe in changing the oil, huh?
I've seen worse sludged up engines, but I'd want to clean the pickup.
I'd also say RMS and a timing set at the very least.
Hopefully the coolant looks better than the oil.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, there are worse.  But that's pretty bad!  However, for $400 you can't go wrong.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The cab floor looks solid!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bigfridge417
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
The odometer reads 33,400 or there abouts.  So that could mean 33K, 133K, or 233K.  With the amount of build up I am placing my bets on the 233K number.  As for oil changes, there is a Jiffy Lube sticker under the hood with the years 93, 94, and 95 on it so I am going to hope it has had a few since then.  As for the coolant, yeah no, not any better.  Hoping as I get more time I can go through it better and flush the radiator and replace hoses.
Bigfridge417
1984 F-150
302, 4x4, 4 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

Bigfridge417
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Looks can be deceiving.  There is a 12"x24" hole just inside the door on the driver's side and another in the cab corner behind the passenger side.  So after I can get it running consistently that is the next is to start plugging holes.
Bigfridge417
1984 F-150
302, 4x4, 4 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

Bigfridge417
In reply to this post by Bigfridge417
Ok so where did I leave off, oh yes uncovering coal deposits in the engine.  When pulling off the intake, didn't pay too much attention to it until we flipped it over and viola...

After we finished shaking our heads, my buddy pulls down an intake, 4 barrel Holley, and a set of painted valve covers to mock up what we were thinking of doing...

Looks like I am caught up with where we have it all put back together and somewhat running.  Now we are working on getting the carb set up correctly, timed correctly, vacuum leaks taken care of, heater core replaced, and then moving to the inside.  I do have a larger air cleaner for it. just need to get spacers to raise it up over the distributor.

Bigfridge417
1984 F-150
302, 4x4, 4 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
On my phone the blue of the floor mat looks like the steel floor of the cab.
I should have zoomed...

So, your 302 has a mechanical fuel pump?
I think I'd want to use a steel line up past the exhaust manifold, and perhaps put that filter closer to the carb.
Bad things happen when those glass filters let go.

What are you using for a breather with that fill tube, if you don't have clearance over the HEI for a stock air cleaner?

But it certainly looks much better in the engine bay!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Bigfridge417
Quaker State?  Well, some good and some bad on yours.  IT's always a crap shoot.  At least you are making progress.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2