(Normal)
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Power Steering Pressures

Nickelplate
Hey all!
I have done the Saginaw swap in my 1986 Bronco (serpentine front accessories from a 94) and I didn't really notice any difference in how sensitive the steering is. I recently got all new ball joints and tie rod ends, because the old ones had visible slop in them, and now I am experiencing memory steer and extremely sensitive steering.

The ball joints from Mevotech had a TSB about memory steer, and after following their procedure, most of the memory steer went away. But I think the tie rod ends are still causing a little bit of memory steer. Now that all the components are super tight, I am noticing that the steering is pretty dang sensitive.

So my question is, does anyone know what the difference is between the pressure of a stock ford pump and the saginaw? Should I get a flow restrictor that brings it back down to the stock pump levels?
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Power Steering Pressures

C.Jett
Nickel plate, my 85 4.9 is stock and I have the same problem. Someone said to loosen adjustment on steering gear box, just a small amount at a time. Since it’s on jackstands, haven’t had a chance to try. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Somehow I missed this.  But if someone has adjusted the steering box then you may well have problems tracking.

As for pressures, this thread has some data on that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
Interesting! No one has done anything with the steering box, so at least that is safe.

I looked at the pressure posted in that other thread, and it seems like the pressures and flow rates are different between the two pumps, but the ratings we have are the pressures at which a bypass valve opens?
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know that we know where those ratings are taken.  But since the flow ratings are taken at different pressures we really cannot compare them.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI