24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Power Steering Gear Box

JimJam300
This post was updated on .
Had to re-edit my whole post lol

I recently had a steering repair adventure with my Dodge. It was dangerously sloppy, like it hurt to drive because my hands were clamped to the steering wheel. The first fix I came across was a new bushing for the steering shaft, which was basically a thick plastic ring that replaced a circular metal piece that sits in the firewall. It helped get rid of the lack of feedback when the gear was MOVING, but it didn't get rid of the "dead zone".

So a counter point on Red Head. I did my research and found remans were just gonna blow up again, especially considering the gear in the truck was a reman. I went with the Red Head because Blue Top was out of stock, them being the cheaper option. I installed the steering gear in June of last year doing everything 100% correct, except being a 3/4 ton gear inside a 1/2 ton pickup (which shouldn't matter). I was very satisfied that it solved all my steering issues, until it didn't. It leaks now. If they can't warranty it I'll never buy another, so we'll find out.

In summary, the bushing gave the wheel tighter feedback and the new steering gear gave tighter control. The joint in between never gave me any grief.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  I hope they'll replace it under warranty.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by Machspeed
This thread is FABULOUS.

I noted my water pump/C2 issue in my thread....but today, I noticed a bunch of fluid coming from the gear box that was more than the drip off the pump.  I think there is a seal leaking.  So, all that to say, I will be talking to BLUE TOP tomorrow!

Thanks everyone.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I put in a Blue Top last year. Sent them my unit for rebuild. Had a HO Saginaw with Hydroboost since the day I put it in. Absolutely no problems with it. Highly recommend.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior