Port

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Port

Sheener
Finally determined that the wet on my plugs was oil. Pulled the intake and found a leak between the intake manifold and the lifter valley. I will get that sealed up. On the back of the engine block is another port that I had not noticed until I pulled the intake. It has a control on it and the line is vented to atmosphere right now. What is it for and how should it be vented?
86 f 250, 4wd, 460, manual transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Port

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm glad you found the oil problem.  That could certainly cause both fouled plugs but also a very lean air/fuel mix.

But I don't know what "port" you are asking about.  You don't have what engine you have in a signature, so I can't tell.  But the 460's and M-blocks have an oil pressure port back there, and there is usually an oil pressure sender on it.  But there wouldn't be a "line vented to the atmosphere" or you'd have a huge mess.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sheener
Here is what I am talking about. A 460 engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sheener
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Here is what I am talking about. A 460 engine.

This is what I am talking about. Is that the sending unit?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is the thermactor plumbing.  The air pump pushes air through that valve in the center and into the heads via the tubing on either side that bolts to the back of the heads.  Looks like someone disconnected the air pump but left the plumbing.

The plumbing can be removed and very short 5/8-11 bolts threaded into the back of the heads to plug the ports.  But you may have to clean carbon out of the threads to get the bolts started.  And I like to use copper gasket washers under the heads of the bolts.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sheener
That valve in the center is not connected to the thermactor plumbing. To the left is where the valve connects to the thermactor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Then you either have a 460 or an M-block and that's the oil pressure sender/switch.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sheener
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That valve in the center is not connected to the thermactor plumbing. To the left is where the valve connects to the thermactor.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It would really help if you could put some details as to what your truck is, engine etc. Then we could give you better informed answers.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it is the oil pressure sending unit and it is unplugged