classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Poncho Loco Thread Takeover

poncho.loco
This post was updated on .
Brand new Poncho Loco thread for a brand new issue...

Poncho runs and all, but he runs rich & rough, and we spotted fuel coming out the vent tube into the throat of the carb.  We determined that the fuel pressure was too high, so we gave the Holley 12-803, Shiny Fuel Pressure Regulator 4.5-9 Psi a try, despite seeing comments on Amazon that it did not work at all for some buyers.  

Well, it didn't work at all for us either. We turned the adjustment screw all the way to either extreme while the truck was running, and the fuel pressure remains unchanged. It our case it stayed at exactly 6psi, which is just enough to overpower the Holley carb's new float valve. We need 5psi.

So I can't recommend this regulator as of now. Amazon is sending us a new one and we'll try it. Meanwhile, it's back here to the forum to search for others who have solved this issue with another device.

Has anyone BTDT with too much fuel pressure on a Holley 2300 carb?  The needle and seat are new, its bore is clean, and the assembly has no visible defects.
Brand new owner of "Poncho Loco", 82 F150 4x4 351w, restoration in progress...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Poncho Loco Thread Takeover

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've used two of those regulators with no problems.  One was on Dad's truck when I had Rusty's engine in it, and it was feeding an Edelbrock 1406.  And I'm currently running one on Big Blue, but it is in series with with a return-style regulator in front of it as I'm running EFI pumps and need to drop the pressure down a bunch for an Eddy carb.

No experience with the Holley 2500.  But, too much fuel pressure doesn't usually give a high idle.  In fact, just the opposite.  Usually a high idle is due to a vacuum leak.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

poncho.loco
Note: I edited the first post (it's a Holley 2300 carb, not 2500, and there is no high idle issue). Sorry about that!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok.  Still no experience with that carb.  However, it is a Holley and rich conditions are normal with a blown power valve.  That will do about the same as too much fuel pressure.  And Holley's are supposed to handle more than 6 psi.  It is Edelbrocks or Carters that don't like that much pressure.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by poncho.loco
is the fuel over running into the carb venturis?
most holley two bbl are center hung float design and are easily adjusted too high. keep in mind that high is relative to the incoming fuel pressure and often its necessary to set them a little lower. most holleys can manage 6 to 7 lbs of pressure well.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
mat in tn wrote
is the fuel over running into the carb venturis?
most holley two bbl are center hung float design and are easily adjusted too high. keep in mind that high is relative to the incoming fuel pressure and often its necessary to set them a little lower. most holleys can manage 6 to 7 lbs of pressure well.
I have never had any issues with any Holley carb of to much psi as they handle it pretty good.
I would check the float level as I bet it is set to high.

I have run a few of the 2300 carbs with no issues.
I have also used the Holley regulators with the blue pumps with no issues.
Dave  ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Considering that the fuel pressure spec on the 460 hot fuel handling package is 9 psi. a Holley should handle that with no problems.

I had a Carter high performance vane pump feeding a Holley Racing mechanical pump on my 1966 Shelby. The Holley would draw through the Carter pump under normal driving, the Carter pump was in the rear next to the tank and was used to push extra volume through the 5/16" fuel line. All this was to feed two Holley four barrels and I never had a flooding issue.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

poncho.loco
Thanks to everyone for the replies. The replacement regulator didn't work either, but we did spot an overlooked vacuum leak (thanks for that info Gary) and adjusted the float. And just like that, the idle went from 3 thousand to 15 hundred rpm, and fuel stopped spurting out of the float vent. Pressure was last measured at 5 psi, which seems to be just fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Alternator Mount Bolt Question

poncho.loco
Now to a minor issue we've run into today... We noticed a loose bolt on the alternator bolting that seems too thin as we can just push it in the hole. Diameter of the shank measured was .348 in. I should have measured the major diameter of the threads but we believed it's a 3/8" bolt. Does anyone know what diameter bolt should be in its place, and if so where to find one?
Alternatively, the threads may be entirely stripped out and we do have the right bolt.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alternator Mount Bolt Question

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got that first problem solved.  

As for the alternator, that bolt goes into the head.  There shouldn't be threads in the bracket.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me say it another way - it takes a loooooong bolt.

Reply | Threaded
|

poncho.loco
Okay. The bolt goes right through the bracket but then it spins in the cylinder head, too. How do I figure out if the bolt is too short, not the right diameter, or stripped?
I was hoping someone else had dealt with this, since bolts are hard to find (none at the local hardware store) so there's no chance to experiment around.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
simply put we just go back to basics. remove the long pivot bolt and take a straw from a fountain drink and use it to slip all the way until it bottoms out in the head. mark the straw flush with the front edge and compare that with the bolt. you need a bolt roughly 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than the straw would measure.
 and it is a 7/16' diameter bolt in most cases.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
mat in tn wrote
simply put we just go back to basics. remove the long pivot bolt and take a straw from a fountain drink and use it to slip all the way until it bottoms out in the head. mark the straw flush with the front edge and compare that with the bolt. you need a bolt roughly 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than the straw would measure.
 and it is a 7/16' diameter bolt in most cases.
Weren't some of the heads tapped for 7/16 threads but the bolt he has 3/8 thread?
I w ant to say Ford used a insert to change thread sizes?
Dave  ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
I have a vague memory of seeing that bolt frozen by rust and crud on a Ford in the past where it goes the the alternator bracket on its long journey into the cylinder head. This one is not tight in that spot at all. I suspect that some PO lost the original 7/16" bolt and slipped a 3/8" bolt in there. Her truck looks like somebody spent a lot of time on it.  BTW, with the vacuum leak and carb fixed, the 351W sounds excellent.

I'm going to use the straw trick (thank you) and take that 3/8" bolt to NAPA today, hope they have a 7/16".  We need that alternator firmly mounted so my daughter can go get an dual side dump exhaust built tomorrow.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
i cannot speak for every case or every year but on Windsor heads my experience has always been 7/16 in that position yet the other two are 3/8.  on engines which had the thermactor air injection entering the rear of the heads, the heads are drilled and tapped to 9/16 bolt thread and each head has a screw in threaded plug which also accepts the 7/16 bolt. each head can be installed on either side of the engine as it is cast to be a universal fit (one stock number and one manufacturing process). at assembly the threaded plugs get installed in the front of the engine and so on.one end of the head has the other two bolt holes 3/8 and the other end has 7/16.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Update.  I took a closer look at that long bolt and it's indeed broken off.  So it's off to NAPA anyway.

I have some easy outs and threaded rod, if push comes to shove as it were...
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Make sure that you use something like anti-seize where the bolt goes through the alternator and the bracket.  Frequently they seize inside since water can get in there and cause all sorts of corrosion.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by poncho.loco
I drove Poncho Loco to the muffler shop this morning.  3000 rpm at 55 mph - dang!  Daughter is thinking of flipping him now that he's running. MPG will be a major decision factor. Choke is clearly inop, tough to keep him running until it's warmed up.

Drives pretty well, but little or no power assist when turning right, so I suspect it's time for another Blue Top in the family. Steering wheel needs centering, but #1 son has now taken over alignment duties at his shop ... woot!

We'll update after his 2.5" dual side dump exhaust is done.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
3000 at 55???     shift to 3rd!