classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Picture orientation

BigBrother-84
This is an experiment about the smartphone correction I detailed here:
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/81-flareside-4x4-project-tp122751p124113.html

I am using an iPhone 12 Mini.  I don't think that matters.

This is a badly oriented picture:
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Picture orientation

BigBrother-84
Now, here is the same picture, badly oriented, then corrected using my iPhone.  I just let it that way, we'll see if the Forum software will replace it the good way.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
And here is the corrected picture, I did nothing else than just pasted it here:
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - Tell me more about what you did?  Did you change the name of the picture?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Well, seems that if we do not replace the badly oriented picture with the good one, the Forum software detects that the corrected picture is different and do not load the modifications.
Even if the name isn't modified, there is something enough significant in the Metadata or in the iPhone file path that makes the Forum software consider the two pictures to be different ones.

I conclude that we have to replace the badly oriented picture by the corrected one before posting.
At least for iOS phones...

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Jeff - Tell me more about what you did?  Did you change the name of the picture?
Gary, I did nothing more than simply rotate it and save the modifications.
No more editing.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me say it differently to see if we are saying the same thing:

Same Post: As you type up a post if you upload a pic and then realize it isn't oriented properly then you have to change the name of the properly-oriented file when you upload it again or it won't change.  And if you post the pic and then edit the post the same thing happens - you have to change the file name or it will revert to the original file.

New Post: In a new post you can upload the edited file even if it has the same name as the old file as the forum software must be assigning a new name to it since it is a new post.

Does that fit with your understanding?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Just a last test.
Badly oriented:

And corrected:

For Gary: This is how the Forum "tag" each of them (in my iPhone, this is the same file):
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the names are different.  But if you were to edit either of the files, save it under the same name, and then edit your post and upload the edited pic in place of the original I think you'll still have the original.

Does that make sense?

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Let me say it differently to see if we are saying the same thing:
[...]
Does that fit with your understanding?
Gary-  No, not what I do.

When typing, before posting, I do a preview.
Ooops!  I realize one picture is badly oriented.
Then I go to the pictures library on my iPhone and open the faulty one.  In fact, I see it correctly oriented on my iPhone screen.
So I modify it, forcing it to another orientation and save it that way (now, I see it badly oriented on my screen).
I re-open it and rotate it in order to view it in well oriented, and save it.

At that point, I usually feel losing my time, playing with the orientation of my picture that nevertheless appeared to me correctly oriented at the beginning

But the Forum detects that something changed.

I delete the picture in my post and do a new preview.  It appears  ok.

Then I post.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  Ok, thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, not sure about my theory, but I have the feeling that the Forum rename the picture each time it loads it.
If after it loaded it, I play with my original picture, it doesn't automatically detect it, I have to "reload" it (choose it again, choose the size and load).

At that point, the Forum gives a new name, for it, it is a different picture.

In my "last test" higher in this thread, the forum shows two different pictures, that in fact are a same one in my phone.  Once loaded on the post, we have no control on that "clone", which have now its own life.  We just can delete it.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - How are you "inserting the image"?  In the screengrab below I've circled two ways to do that.  The red one where you use the system to go find the file on your computer/phone/cloud drive or the green one where you paste the url to the pic in.  I use the red one most of the time.

And when I did that for the screengrab it created this code, obviously w/o the "<" and ">" before and after: nabble_img src="Insert_Image_Dialog_with_Callouts.jpg" border="0"/.  The name of the file on my One Drive is "Insert Image Dialog with Callouts" so you can see that's essentially the name the forum used.

And now that I've uploaded that file once I've used Paint to rotate it and added the rotated pic to this post as the 2nd instance.  And when I previewed both instances were rotated.  Then I rotated it back with Paint and saved it again and uploaded it the third time, and this time when I previewed it all three are properly rotated.

So what I thought I knew I didn't know.  Or what I knew was wrong?  

But apparently just because you "Upload" a file doesn't mean the system uploads it right then.  Instead it seems that it just generates the HTML code that will do the uploading when you hit Post.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, it's interesting!

I use the "Choose File" button method (red circle).  Same when I am on my computer.

When back home, I'll try from my desktop Mac.  We'll see if it works same way than from your PC, while rotating with an app (Photoshop on my side).

Maybe it's a kind of «iOS-super protected-and-unreachable-from-outside» System structure?

Stay tuned!
Restored 2019-2022.