classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Not A Ford, But.....

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know this isn't a Ford.  But I thought y'all would want to read this article and watch the video about the new Hummer electric truck.  Yes, there's a whole lot to go wrong, but when it is working it makes Big Blue look like a Model A.

It is just mind boggling!  

https://expeditionportal.com/2022-hummer-ev-electric-super-truck-first-off-road-drive/
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Not A Ford, But.....

Machspeed
Administrator
I wouldn't purchase it even if I had the disposable type of income it requires to do so. As we have talked about, this technology is still in it's infancy. Five years from now, that Hummer may seem like a model T when compared to the "new" technology be it battery or whatever. Frankly, I'm surprised we've not done anything with hydrogen yet. I remember in Chemistry class when we were making hydrogen from water. I was fascinated in it and envisioned filling my car up with H2O someday...LOL! But, a lot of energy has to go into this process.  

BTW, did drive a friend's Tesla a few weeks back. Very impressed with it's power. Kinda weird accelerating like that without the engine roaring! Don't care much for the aesthetics and hate the dash. Basically, you just have a steering wheel in front of you. An oversized I-Pad sits to your right, center dash, for information. Very high tech though.

Off topic slightly in relation to vehicles but battery tech is definitely improving. I'm a bit anal about my yard and I work hard to make it look nice....mow, edge, hedge, trim, blow off, etc. I enjoy it. I have reliable gas powered equipment for mowing, trimming and blowing off. My hedger and edger were plug in that required 200 plus feet of extension cord to use. Hated dragging out those extension cords! Went and bought me a battery powered hedger and edger and just love it. With one battery charge, I can very quickly get through my work without the hassles of the extension cords. And, that charge will last me through at least three mowings! I bought this equipment after reading reviews on battery powered lawn mowers. Impressive! There was a time when I wouldn't even look at such equipment for my needs. That day has past.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not ready to buy a Hummer either, but was blown away with what it can already do.

As for battery tech, I had a Stihl trimmer and a Stihl blower.  And I've had to have them worked on several times.  The trimmer finally would NOT start, and after conversing with my brother I bought a Ryobi 40V trimmer.  LOVE IT!  No oil, no gas, plenty of power, and lots less noise.  Starts every time I pull the trigger, and one charge does the whole yard.  The day the blower won't start is the day I get a 2nd battery - along with a Ryobi blower.

Yes, battery tech has really evolved, and will continue to do so.  But no, I'm not ready to replace Big Blue with an electric vehicle.  I still like that V8 rumble.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm not ready to buy a Hummer either, but was blown away with what it can already do.

As for battery tech, I had a Stihl trimmer and a Stihl blower.  And I've had to have them worked on several times.  The trimmer finally would NOT start, and after conversing with my brother I bought a Ryobi 40V trimmer.  LOVE IT!  No oil, no gas, plenty of power, and lots less noise.  Starts every time I pull the trigger, and one charge does the whole yard.  The day the blower won't start is the day I get a 2nd battery - along with a Ryobi blower.

Yes, battery tech has really evolved, and will continue to do so.  But no, I'm not ready to replace Big Blue with an electric vehicle.  I still like that V8 rumble.  
No, I know what you're saying on the Hummer and agree!

I could have told you on that Stihl. Their commercial products are great but their residential stuff is garbage. I purchased a Stihl Combi package sometime back and hated it from day one. Following that experience, I purchased an Echo trimmer and after a couple years of use and liking it so much, I purchased their blower and then finally their chainsaw. Two pull, assisted start every time, even after winter storage. Great stuff! I went EGO on my battery stuff and so far I like it. I bought it off reviews. Time will tell but it works great and looks to be very high quality.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hadn’t heard of EGO. But I see they make a lot of power tools. They look good, but I’m into Ryobi now. Pulling the trigger and not having to fuss with starting, mixing, etc is a huge improvement.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
To be Clear, EGO is battery powered. Echo is gas powered.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, got that.  I looked EGO up.  But I thought echos are sound-powered.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
They are.....new technology
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Echo also makes battery powered stuff... and on project farm, they did very well in the chainsaw department (as did Ego, other than having an undersized battery):

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Sorry to hear that about new Stihls.  I have a Stihl chainsaw that says "made in West Germany", so you get an idea of its age.  I've never had to work on it and it always starts.  Used the heck out of it summer of 2020 starting to clean up the 50+ big trees that blew down at my folks cabin.  It's ready to go finish the job (I just wasn't this summer).  I was figuring I'd get another Stihl if this one ever gives up.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I gave my Stihl trimmer to my brother as he has its mate.  Said he's had to rebuild the carb almost yearly and this will give him spare parts so he can have a carb "on the shelf".

On the other hand, our father loved Stihls and he was introduced to them by our uncle, who was an avid outdoorsman and used a chain saw frequently.  So their saws were probably from West Germany as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I'm an industrial electrical worker, I spend a lot of time with motors and VFDs.

The insane possibilities that EVs bring to the table will probably never be fulfilled because of consumer pushback and corporate scheming which will culminate in poor EV infrastructure and unreliable vehicles that cost more than they should. Theoretically they should be much cheaper, more reliable, and easier to work on than a modern fuel-burning car, but manufacturers will find a way to make people buy a new one every 5 years.

I'm not a businessman, but if I had a company that made drop-in EV "simulated engine" packages for classic cars and trucks, I reckon I could make a lot of money. A motor and drive tuned just like your favorite internal combustion engine's hp/torque curve and it'll bolt up to any transmission. Lots of people wary about future emissions laws are already making the switch to electric with single-speed.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, a bolt-in electric motor/drive unit would be nice.  But, just bolting one up to a transmission then has you shifting gears when that's not needed.

The beauty/simplicity of the true EV's is with the motors out at the wheels so you don't have the clutch, tranny, transfer case, differentials, and driveshafts.  That allows the control system to play like there's a locking diff in the front or back, and other neat features - all w/o having the hardware that would normally be required to do that with an internal combustion engine.

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Every time I get a bunch of used oil dumped on my arms, I look forward to owning an EV, many many years from now
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I am a petrol head to the core. Growing up my dad had a landscape business, Honda lawn mower, Stihl hedge trimmer, husqvarna weed eater and chainsaw.

When I moved to the US I bought that exact set up and loved it.

This year I bought the 40V Ryobi chainsaw and was blown away, then I got a blower, then the weed eater, then the hedge trimmer.

The snow blower and lawn mower are on my list. But I have a bit of land and lawn..

So back on track, the whole EV thing fascinating. I have a deposit on a lightning but prob won’t go through with it. Maybe the gen 2 or 3.

An EV drive train for my F150 would be awesome! It is my “farm truck” rarely has to run 100 miles in a week.

The EV Hummer looks great, I need a friend to buy one!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, so the 40V Ryobi chain saw is good?  And the blower?  Noted.

I don't have a chain saw and should with as many trees as we have.  And the Stihl blower now only runs with "some" choke, and it is getting really finicky on how much.  Last time there was a VERY delicate balance and I was barely able to get the job.  I'm not going to spend money again to have it fixed as I've done that too many times.

As for the Lightning, I'd go with the 3.5L Powerboost and the 7.2KW inverter instead.  I really haven't read up on it, but at first blush I like the hybrid idea.  And the ability to power part of your home when the utility power is off is intriguing.  (Reminds me - with it cool in the attic now I need to rewire the furnaces so I can plug them into an extension cord and run them off Big Blue should I need to do so.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
I went to the canned gas mix several years ago. I have not had any trouble with any of my weedeaters, chainsaw at all. I also use only Non-ethanol premium gas in my mowers, mixed with a little Sta-Bil.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6