No turn signal = fail State inspection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No turn signal = fail State inspection

Vic Roma
I can't figure out why the front and side RH marker/parking lamp lights do not work, yet rear taillight does when on hazards or turn signal. All LH lights work as they should, turn and hazard. I have the EVTM and checked the wires including the ground. Other than a heck of a lot of creamy yellow/white grease in every socket (presumably dielectric), there is no power coming to the sockets (checked with circuit tester). I swapped the bulbs from the LH side, and even changed all the bulbs but that's not the issue. I bought a new OEM flasher unit in the fuse panel, but still no dice.

Any ideas on how to narrow in on the problem?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: No turn signal = fail State inspection

Frank Wyatt
Check the turn signal switch and go from there.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the turn signal can do weird things like that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Yep, I had one on another truck I once owned that had no brake lights until the turn signal switch was replaced.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
I will check the turn signal, but today I stumbled across this loose wire, which may have something to do with it. It was tucked under a few vacuum hoses, an traced back to the fender wall, appears to connect to the lights.

You may be able to see that this one loose wire connects to two wires, which connect to the lights.

Is this the same wire from the EVTM?

If yes, to where does it connect?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you see in the EVTM Diagram all the lights run through Connector 305.

The one black white with the angled bullet socket likely goes to the choke.
Stator power, abt 7V on the D.C. meter with the engine running.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
That convolute loom didn't come from the factory.
Maybe somebody that doesn't know any better has been messing around in there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
Hard to tell from the pic, but it does look like the white/black wires from the EVTM.  But I'm not sure I understand.  Was it disconnected?  If so, did you re-connect it and did the lights then work?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Agreed, Jim. Someone definitely was “messing around in there.”

Gary, I believe it was disconnected, not by me. The problem is, I don't know where to reconnect it. I looked around the engine, tracing wires back to the firewall where they pass to the interior fuse block, nada.

Any ideas where is this wire's terminal?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
C305 is on the left hand side of the steering column, so that's not it.  Can you follow the wires back from the lights to see if there's a connector disconnected?

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
You know far more than I do, but are you sure about the C305 being inside the cabin, and not the wire I found disconnected in the engine bay, or at least connected to it somehow? The wire is just short enough to not reach the fender so there's no connection there, the only alternative is somewhere towards the firewall or towards the distributor (or alternator?). As for finding it, I did just that, tracing back the wires from the lights, which lead me to this disconnected wire. The circled EVTM diagram (as I read it) shows this wire. Then again, I may be publicly announcing that I can't read the EVTM...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As shown below, C305 is an 11-pin connector, and it is curved.  So that's not 305 you've found.  

I still think you have a turn signal switch problem.  And I suggest taking a DVM our a test light and get to C305 and test those wires there.  Are you getting voltage on the white/light blue wire there?  If not, you have a turn signal switch problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Right, so I can't read the EVTM.
Got it, thanks.

I will check your suggestion tomorrow, and try (harder) to identify the correct connector.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't feel badly, I have a LOT of experience with the EVTMs, plural and still misplace things I know are in there.

Having said that, I've realized that a pdf version of the EVTMs would be handy at times.  The other day I was looking for a connector and that can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.  But, if I had the whole EVTM in a single doc as a pdf, it would be duck soup to search.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Thanks, Gary. It was written tongue-in-cheek. I don’t mind admitting when I don’t know something even if it earns the wrath of some forum members (e.g. NumberDummy doesn’t mess about!), but it’s all in good humor. Messing around under the hood of a Bronco is new to me, but I’m keen to learn so I‘ll keep plugging away at it.

At I think I misunderstood the light bulbs on the page I uploaded to be the turn signal indicators in the dash, not the engine bay. Clearly I’m lost even with two hands and a flashlight, but thanks to you and everyone on here, you’ll set me straight.

I bought the 84 shop manuals CD which includes the EVTM. Helpful to a point, but I haven’t solved the mystery yet. If this was a feature of an Escape Room, I’d be there until closing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Numberdummy has an opinion and expresses it?  

Yes, Bill does.  And he'd be the first to admit it.  He's a friend of mine, and has even been in my home.  But I have been told I'm wrong - more than once.  (Between you and me, I wasn't.)  

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
FWIW - That 90 degree terminal is for a sender, oil pressure is a white wire, usually with a red stripe. I've never seen Ford use that style connector in the lighting circuit, so I don't think that has anything to do with your lights.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Remember that because this is EFI there are both a water temp sender *and* a sensor, on opposite sides at the front of the intake.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
I just saw your reply.
Thanks myrl883, and Jim.

The more I looked at the mess of wires resembling a dropped plate of spaghetti, the more I figured the wire is for the removed carb and/or some other missing parts.