No spark - where to start?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No spark - where to start?

Gsmblue
Been a week for the fleet. Today I got home from running errands in Eunice (1985 F150 EFI). I got on to my driveway and she just died…

I pulled a plug and there is no spark, but I can smell fuel coming into the cylinder.

What is the correct procedure to diagnose no spark? Where should I start?

I have done a search but I could not see the woods for the trees…

Thanks!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: No spark - where to start?

BigBrother-84
Hey Jeremy, you know much more than me about mechanic.
So following is a complete Dummy suggestion...

But it happened to Big Bro, couple of years ago.  Since then, I carry a replacement Ignition Module in the gloves compartment.

Do you have one on hands?  Easy to swap and see if it works.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it is likely to be the ignition module.  But when it cools down it may run again.  If so it is highly likely to be that module, and if not then the pickup module in the distributor.  Either will give the same results, no spark, when they fail and they frequently fail when hot.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Looks like Oreily's has a module in stock, it is the Standard brand one, I will pick it up and give it a go.

I recall changing it before, something about the little screws was a pain to get to.

Thanks Gents, I will report back this afternoon.

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Periwinkle
I want to pick up a spare as well. I know some people have preference on brand noting some are better than others. Is standard one of the better ones? Does anyone on this forum have a go-to or ones to avoid? I've got a Canadian '84, not sure if there are differences in the modules depending on year or emissions standards.

Napa sells them between $90 CAD and $200 CAD with 1-yr 20k km and 5yr 80k km warranties respectively.

Rockauto sells the Standard Motor Products LX203 (2-wire?), LX214 (3-wire?) for $80-$95 CAD as well as an LX203T (what is the T-series?) for $36 CAD. They also have WAI Global, United Motor Products, and WVE brands, not sure if these are junk or not.

Lastly, there is the Carquest (Advance Auto) version for $50USD so likely $80-$100 CAD.

Mine still works fine but I keep hearing how important having a spare is.
1984 Ford F-150
2-wheel drive, 4-speed manual with NP435 Transmission, 3.08 Rear Axle
Inline-6, 300 with over 250,000km
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I think Motorcraft is the way to go if you can. I was just looking at what I can pick up locally. Outside of that I don't if there is a preference.

fyi: I just tried starting her after sitting all night, the engine spins but does not "catch". I will pop out later and pick the part up..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There is a spark-retard feature that is supposed to be in the ignition modules to help in starting.  But not all modules have it.  In fact, I have one marked Motorcraft that doesn't have it, although it might be a Chinese knock-off.

So normally a Motorcraft is the best bet, but Napa's Gold line is also said to have that circuit.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Pulled the distributor, changed out ignition module.

We are up and running again.

Thanks everyone.

The last time this happened I swore I was going to order a rotorcraft unit, I should check my box of parts, maybe I did get one?  If not, I will be ordering one!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it fixed.  

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
This thread reminds me I need to pickup a module as a spare!  And it looks like the extra pickup coil is recommended too?

1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Another suggestion is remote mounting the TFI module using an extension cable and an appropriate heatsink. Heat is what kills TFI modules. Direct mounting it to the distributor wasn't one of Ford's wiser ideas (which is why many late model TFI setups were remote mounted from the factory)
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
So, make your own cable or is something available?

If I recall, even the fender mount version has a significant heat sink.

"Eylza Dual-little"