No codes from EEC-IV

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No codes from EEC-IV

trouter_space
Hey there everybody, Happy New Year. Hope you've been well.

I'm back in New Mex and going a round 2 on trying to figure out what's up with my truck. I'm quite sure the computer is in limp home mode and I feel like the most straight-forward way out of it is to get the emissions codes and fix whatever problem there is. However, I've now tried several times to get codes and gotten... no codes.

I'm following the method outlined in a few forum posts as well as my Chilton's manual. Off for at least 10 seconds, used a jumper wire that I got blade ends for to short the indicated pins, and tried both a test light and multimeter. It's all quiet. I've investigated the harness externally from the connectors by the battery back to the fire wall, I pulled out the computer and looked for any obvious signs of corroding capacitors, and I reseated the connector from the computer to the harness. It did seem like it was a little loose before I started but it seems well connected now. Either way, same result. No codes.

Anyone have any tips here? I'm thinking about either trying to plug in the computer out of its casing so I can try to jumper the appropriate wires manually to verify that it is in fact not the harness, or perhaps just replace the computer. The computer is definitely not the original on this 1986, it's a remanufactured unit.

Thanks for any tips !

TS
─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀
▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─
▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄─▀▄

1986 F150 2WD 4SPD 300CU I6 BASE-AF
Jemez Mountains, New Mexico
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: No codes from EEC-IV

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't have any tips.  But have you compared your procedure with the one set out on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Electronic Engine Control (EEC) and then the EEC-IV and Code Checking tabs?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
what is the drivetrain you are having problems with and what are the symptoms
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
I would want to check if the computer is getting power, i.e. is the ignition switch in fact activating the EEC power relay, and is that device actually sending power to the computer.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Pardon a slight momentary sidetrack... Happy New Year, Mr. TuButis!
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Thank you, David! Happy Birthday to you & Gary and all you guys out here!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are only ~6 months off - either late or early.  But I'll take it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Chris is closer to being correct with me!