New light switch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New light switch

IowaTom
I'm sure this is a dumb question, especially if you've replaced yours, but why do new headlight switches come without the shaft?  Does the old one unscrew and get reused?  
And is it a bear to change out?  This is on my '85 F150.  Thanks!

'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New light switch

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The old shaft has to come out just to get the switch off the dash.  And you do that by reaching up under the dash, finding the push button on top of the switch, and pushing it down while pushing in slightly and then pulling the knob and shaft out.

(Yes, you can take the knob off the shaft, but with the shaft still in the switch it isn't easy to get the switch out.)

And you have to remove the instrument bezel to be able to get to the nut that holds the switch in.

But it isn't all that hard.  However, if you have big hands it won't be easy to operate that push button.  And if you have thin skin you'll likely be bleeding before it is over.  So maybe get someone with small hands to help you?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by IowaTom
its easy they say. anyone can do it . right?  well i say its only easy if you know how, plain and simple. the answer really is simple. if you turn it up side down you will notice what looks like a loose rivet but it is spring loaded. hold that in and slide the shaft out. then notice the locking groove at the pointed end. there ya go. i only hate having to pull cluster trim panel to get to the mounting nipple. past that it will feel very simple once you are done
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thanks Fellas!  I'm picking a new one up tomorrow.  You know what they say; if you don't bleed on it, you don't fix it.  :-)  My DNA is all over every car/truck project.  Just another peel of the onion, right?
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD