New door weather stripping

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New door weather stripping

BeagleRock
Hi all I just installed a new cab weather strip on drivers side this evening. Seems as though even after adjusting the striker to close relatively easy,the door sticks out way too far. So I adjusted it back and it's hard to shut and still sticks out about 1/4"   however the hinge area and the top of the door seem flush.
 Am I going to have to adjust the door hinges? If so I'm in trouble.
 Regards Randy
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New door weather stripping

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Randy - Give it a few days.  It takes a while for the material to soften up, and heat helps.  It is supposed to be up to 95 most of next week, so that should help.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Hi Gary, I was thinking that it might settle in but wasn't sure. I'll give it a week or two.
 Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
I've been waiting for my new door seals to settle, and it's been over 2 months already.  It's pretty frustrating.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
This post was updated on .
Getting ready to do the same on Brutus.  Just a note.  When Brutus was new, the doors were very hard to close when the windows were up, if you put just a little crack in the window, the doors would close fine.  Not sure if that is the problem, but is worth a try.   With all new rubber, your cab has become air tight again.  give it time and crack the window.  We had to do this for years with Brutus until the weatherstrip began to fail.  As time went on, they did get a bit easier to close, but you had to really slam it.  crack the window just a bit
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by BeagleRock
I installed new door seals a few months ago and the doors were extremely difficult to close afterwards. I didn't adjust anything, I just slammed the doors. If you open one of the windows a little bit the doors will close easier. Now, my driver's door has gotten much better. I wouldn't say that it closes easily, but it did improve greatly since the install of the new seal. My passenger door is still really difficult to close and needs to be slammed, windows open or not. I think the new seals need to have some "miles" put on them...I dunno. Some people say that putting baby powder or something similar on the new seals helps.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Ok thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
In reply to this post by Rembrant
 Baby powder?  Is that the new vinegar   thanks for responding sir.
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
In reply to this post by 66gtk
 Oh wow I hope my Chinese Cheapies don't take that long, having said that the cheapo strips will probably collapse in 6mo.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by BeagleRock
BeagleRock wrote
Baby powder?  Is that the new vinegar   thanks for responding sir.
Well, I read some comments from guys that restore cars, and they claimed that the issue is that the rubber is sticky...or "grabby" and doesn't want to "flow"? into the compressed position easily until it breaks in. I guess the powder is supposed to help it flatten out better. I haven't tried it personally, but it was on my to-do list.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by 66gtk
66gtk wrote
I've been waiting for my new door seals to settle, and it's been over 2 months already.  It's pretty frustrating.
My passenger door is the harder door to close and also sticks out a little and my weather seals have been installed since Nov. 2019!
Being my truck is a driver and not a show truck so what if it sticks out just a little.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I meant to follow up on this thread a few weeks ago.

I talked to a body guy that has done a lot of work on old Ford trucks, and he said what he does with frustrating door seals is take a block of wood...piece of 2x4 or whatever, and with a hammer, beats (or taps, if you prefer lol) on the steel lip on the cab to push it inwards a little bit. He said it is usually one or two stubborn spots that cause the issue, not the entire perimeter of the door.

I know in my case, with the driver's side at least, the tight area is along the cab below the A-pillar along where the door hinges are. All along the top of my door, the seal is barely touching, so that's not an issue.

I might try bending that lip inwards a bit, see if it helps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was taught to use a dollar bill to find the tight spots.  It'll slide through most places but when you find "that spot" you'll know it and then you can adjust the lip.

It is tedious as the bill doesn't like to slide sideways so you are constantly opening the door to re-position it, but it does work.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
On the original '84 I owned this summer it still had original seals.  Along the door hinge side there were little holes molded in the seal every foot or so.  I had suspected this was to "relieve" pressure as it closed to facilitate closing easily.  My replacements did not have any of these holes.  I've been tempted to drill some, but I don't want to destroy my new seals.  I'm still working to break them in properly.  Going really slow!!!  It's frustrating.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
When Brutus was new, the doors were hard to close, you had to put a crack in the window.  with all new weatherstripping and seals that cab is pretty much air tight.   I changed out the weatherstrip about a month or so ago and is just like it was when it was new, but is getting better and better.  I never really did pay attention to any holes, i'm going ot have to look and see, but i dont recall seeing any on them
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new