New carb AOD transmission TV connection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New carb AOD transmission TV connection

Mark
Guys if this has already been addressed I apologize for posting it. And if it has would one of you mind sharing a link.

I am eliminating the feedback style carburetor from my truck. Also let me upfront say I'm not in any shape or form a Ford mechanic, this is really the first one I've worked on so please excuse my ignorance. Nonetheless, I ordered a Chinese knock off carb from Amazon it will mount and looks like the throttle cable will mount, but there is no pin for the TV cable to mount to. I can't be the only person that's ran into this??? Or am I? Surely not. In my reading I see that Lokar makes geometry correction adapters is this the route to go? Anyone have any experience?

I really don't want to toast my transmission so short of doing a rebuild on the feedback carb that was on the truck I'm trying to see what options I might have.
1984, f150 short bed straight six AOD.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New carb AOD transmission TV connection

85lebaront2
Administrator
Lokar makes an excellent product. However, I was under the impression that carbureted engines had a throttle rod to the AOD transmissions.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the end of the TV cable goes to a ball then you could drill the linkage and add one.  But I don't know how it attaches.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks, I just shot them an email.

There is a rod on the side of the transmission, has a little dust boot on it, that inturn has a cable that runs up to the linkage on the carb.

Again I'm a full blown noob and it's entirely possible I'm calling it a cable when in reality it's refered to as a rod. But yes there is a rod.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Can you post a pic of how it attaches to the carb?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
Yes sir,
Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well I thought I could, apparently my internet connection isn't wanting to cooperate today.

On the carburetor side there are two slide connectors, looks factory one goes to the accelerator pedal, the other runs down to the driver's side of the transmission and connects to a bar or rod that in my terms I would call an actuator 🤷

I can likely send pics when I goto work this evening. I'll have better service.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

Carb end

Transmission end.

Here's my thinking since I posted this. In speaking with Lokar, they don't make an adapter or geometry corrector bracket as it were. So I started looking at doing some fab work to make it work, but then do I really want to put in the time with a cheap knock off carb... If there was a simple fix I'd likely go that way, but thus far I'm not seeing anything. If you guys have any of ideas I'm definitely open to hearing them. I'm probably going to go ahead and rebuild the factory carb and this will be a learning experience for me. It just looks like it would be such a simple thing, but not having that one ball connection at the precise location turns out to be a very important thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Get a good picture of the carburetor throttle lever if you can, preferably with a scale against it. With all the strange things I have done with carburetor linkages I may be able to give you some help in finding a solution.

I would also be extremely leery of those Chinese knock off 2100s, read this thread: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Choke-adjustments-and-Cheap-Chinese-carburetor-WARNING-tp112181.html

I just noticed you have a rare beast, 300 with an AOD. I would definitely be very careful as the AOD/300 combination is a bit fragile due to the torque of the 300. Ford only used the AOD in the trucks for a short time replacing it with the E4OD after EFI and the E4OD became available, same reason the C4 was short lived and switched to the C6. In cars the AOD was used behind the 351W for a few years.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
Leave it to me to get an oddball combo 😂. I picked this rig up because I wanted a new project and I've always liked the bullnose body style. So far I like the body style and the engine block 😂 and that's it haha.

Yes I'm pretty well resolved to doing a rebuild on the carb I've got. Me not knowing anything about Ford's, I now see that this feedback carb will work, even though I'm not using the feedback ignition. That way I don't risk messing up the trans.

So excuse my ignorance again here, but before I just order a rebuild kit, does anyone know if the feedback carb is the "YFA" carb?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think it is fair to say that a feedback carb is a YFA, but not all YFA's are feedback carbs.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
Got ya. I sure appreciate you guys help, hopefully I can return the favor at some point. I'm trying to search out for answers thoroughly before asking.
Thank y'all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
So this morning I tore the factory carburetor down, and the whole time the cheap knock off was sitting on my bench and I swear I was hearing it saying nah nah nah boo boo. All high and mighty like. The more of the soon to be abandoned feedback parts I removed the more I noticed the two basically looked the same with the exception of the baseplate that included the pesky ball connector for the pesky AOD transmission (why ford? Why did you build this combination) and that's when I abandoned all good sense. I decided to just eat the low budget carb and see just how it was different. In comparison, side by side, the only difference I could see was A. The aforementioned ball connector on the linkage of the Carter factory unit and where one one of the electronic items mounted there appears to be additional channels. I'll include Pictures to better explain. So with both units completely taken apart my first thought was to see about marrying the two units essentially Frankensteining them to create what I needed.

Will it work? I honestly don't see why not. In my years of turning wrenches I've done things equally as wild. And if not I've not really lost anything except the cost of the knock off carb, but the lesson is worth that cost for me.

I'll be the first to admit I am not a fan of using the cheap knock off parts, but if it works in the end 🤷

Here's some pictures.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I would simply try the throttle body from your original carburetor on the upper 2/3 of the Chineseum one. Or if you feel you can get the throttle plate screws out, swapping only the actual throttle shaft only into the Chineseum one.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Mark
I thought about just swapping the plate onto the clone, aaaaaand this is still just mocked up for fit, so I still may. I'm going to disassemble it tomorrow and clean and start towards the finish project. My thinking with using the original float bowl side was I trusted the mechanics of it more than the clone. All I intend to use off the clone will be the top end housing. That said I'm not completely done just yet, but I think I'm heading in the right direction.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
I just noticed you have a rare beast, 300 with an AOD. I would definitely be very careful as the AOD/300 combination is a bit fragile due to the torque of the 300. Ford only used the AOD in the trucks for a short time replacing it with the E4OD after EFI and the E4OD became available, same reason the C4 was short lived and switched to the C6. In cars the AOD was used behind the 351W for a few years.
That is a myth that just won't die.  The 5.0/302 V8 actually produces more torque than the 4.9/300 six.

The AOD was used in the F-Series trucks from 1980 all the way up to 1993.  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
More torque at what rpm? the 300 is a low end torque engine and yes, at higher rpm the 302 probably does make more torque. If you look at several items on the transmissions you will see that on a C4, the 2nd gear servo for the 300 is the largest one that fit in the case, band is wider and there are more clutch discs in the forward and reverse/high clutch than any V8 application.

I don't have the parts breakdown on the AOD, but used the 300 stuff to build a killer C4 back in 1967 for my 1964 Falcon with a 260 V8, 10.5:1 compression, Lunati Hydraulic cam equivalent to the HyPo 289 cam. 1 - 2 shift at part throttle was essentially instantaneous and would chirp the tires. WOT was very solid as was 2 - 3.

Also, if torque wasn't the issue, why did Ford change to using the C6 and E4OD in place of the C4 and AOD, it sure wasn't for fuel economy as the internal drag of both are more than the C4 or AOD.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Maybe I can help.  Here are spec's from Ford's 1982 dealer facts book.  You can find this info on the pages in the Documentation/Engine section.

First, the 4.9L specs:

And the 5.0L specs:

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
I don't think the AOD was available behind the 300 in 1982.

The 5.0/302 made 285 lb-ft torque starting in 1985, compared to the 250 lb-ft of the 4.9/300.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.