classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New bullnose owner

taeking
Hi all,

I have just taken over ownership from my dad of an '86 F250 XLT Lariat crewcab 6.9idi 4x4. It needs some tlc but runs pretty well since it has been sitting for the better part of the last 10 years.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions as I  work on getting it fixed up. Paint needs rubbing out and a paint job eventually. Lots of cosmetic stuff inside.

First question: I will need to get it smogged before I can register it in Nevada. Any hints to help it pass? I have some Hotshots Secret Extreme fuel additive to help cleanup the fuel injection and will drive it about 1000 miles home. So hope that helps.

20210424_103216.jpg
taeking
1986 F250 XLT Lariat crewcab 6.9idi 4x4, Borg Warner T19
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New bullnose owner

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

What part of Nevada?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a city or zip.

As for the truck, it looks straight and without rust.  Those are big pluses.

I added your pic, but you may want to look at the how-to on Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's.

I don't know anything about getting a diesel to pass muster, so will leave that to others.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by taeking
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

taeking
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary!

I'm in Sparks, NV.

I would also like to know suggestions for reapplying the vinyl inlays to the chrome trim. I have all the pieces. Would the double sided moulding tape work?

I will check out the FAQ more thoroughly.
taeking
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  But you don't happen to know the guy over in Reno that calls himself OleRed do you?  I'm going to tag him with this post.  Maybe you two can meet.

As for the trim, I'd think something like 3M™ General Trim Adhesive would be the stuff.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't know much about smogging a diesel either, but I expect if the injectors aren't sticking you're good to go.
You can't really 'chip' these trucks and there were no particulate filters or DEF back then.

Your father may have tweaked the injection pump.
I guess you'll find out when you have it tested.

Welcome!
It's a good looking truck you've been handed down.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

OleRed
In reply to this post by taeking
Welcome to the forum, beautiful rig you got there!

As Gary said, I'm in Reno. Great to see a fellow northern Nevadan on here! I got my IDI to pass smog without issue even though the injection pump was going out (though I wasn't aware at the time...), so I bet you'll probably be fine.
1985 F-250 4x4 6.9 IDI
Reply | Threaded
|

taeking
Thanks! We started rubbing it out yesterday so it's starting to look better.

That is good to know about the smog! Did you go to Pro 1? Or do you prefer somewhere else?

If you can recommend or suggest a mechanic in town that will work on an IDI I would appreciate it.

taeking
Reply | Threaded
|

OleRed
I went to Pro 1, yes. Service was great and I definitely recommend going there for smog.

I haven't had any work done on the truck by a mechanic in Reno yet, but the previous owner took it to McDiesel in Sparks and had nothing but good things to say about the shop, so I'd say they're a good bet.
1985 F-250 4x4 6.9 IDI
Reply | Threaded
|

taeking
Thanks for the recommendations.

My truck passed smog. Pro 1 was great.
taeking
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  So have you already driven it the 1000 miles home?

Reply | Threaded
|

taeking
I have. It did great. Not the fastest trip. Kept it around 60 mph and probably averaged around 15 or 16 mpg.

New weatherstripping for doors and windows will be the first priority in addition to replacing the upper drivers side door hinge.
taeking
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good plan on keeping the speed down.  These trucks make a barn door look aerodynamic.

And if the weatherstripping is the worst of what you found then the truck really is solid.  

Reply | Threaded
|

taeking
Just about what I said, aerodynamic as a brick.😁

I think it is a good truck. My dad put some money into it making it safe to drive before I got there - seals, brake cylinders and shoes, etc. It needs lots of small stuff. The steering has too much play in it, dash lights don't all work, and I imagine all foam, rubber, and other things that breakdown with heat and cold over time will need replacing. It sat most of the past 10 to 15 years.

I'm considering if I will just fix up or restore.
Here is a photo after we did a rough first rub out with heavy duty compound.

taeking