classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New User - 83 Bronco - 300 straight 6, 4 speed manual

Brock
Howdy!
I’m new here and am looking for advice on a good quality carburetor to purchase for my 83 Bronco 300 straight six. I’ve looked in several places online but I’m unsure what features I might want to make sure to include (like 1 barrel or 2, electronic choke or not, etc), also wondering which manufacturer would be best to go with. Thanks for providing a place to help new guys like me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New User - 83 Bronco - 300 straight 6, 4 speed manual

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Brock!  Glad you joined.  

Where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city/state or zip.

On the carb, you don't really have a choice of a 2bbl on the 300 if you are running the stock intake manifold.  Or unless you bolt on a 1-to-2bbl adapter.  So I suggest just going with the 1bbl.

This subject has been discussed a lot on here, and you might enjoy reading this thread: Advice on Carb + Intake Swap for 300 Straight Six.  In that Cory said he'd just put a $69 replacement from Amazon on his truck.  I don't have a link to that carb, but the model is YF and you can probably find it.

There are other threads on here about the cheap Chinese carb and most have been positive.  However, they aren't perfect.  On the other hand, they are cheap.

However, we need to make sure that you have the non-feedback carb before getting much farther.  If you have a feedback carb then must replace it with a feedback carb.  So show us a pic of your distributor?  We can tell from that if you have the feedback system or not.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Brock
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Brock
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Admin - I live in Laurel, MT. I can send a pic of the carb when I get back home on Sunday. Thanks fir the thread. I reached out to Jamesg to see how his project went.

Any advice on a good repair manual?  I need to do some work on the brakes and suspension also.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I like the factory service manuals, but they are getting expensive.

Dave Graham has CD’s of the factory manuals which I have for both my Ford’s and I like them. Sometimes I just like paper manuals in front of me.

And Gary has a ton of service info on this site!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.

As for a manual, I really like the Ford factory shop manuals.  They are very accurate.

However, we have many of the sections from the FSMs on the site.  So you may not need to buy a set.  Your call.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
Sometimes I just like paper manuals in front of me.
I have a lot of the 1995 EVTM on the site, but I have the paper version on the work table in front of me as I sort out the wiring on the EFI for Big Blue.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
In that Cory said he'd just put a $69 replacement from Amazon on his truck.  I don't have a link to that carb, but the model is YF and you can probably find it.

There are other threads on here about the cheap Chinese carb and most have been positive.  However, they aren't perfect.  On the other hand, they are cheap.
Jonathan and I each bought different cheap 1bbl carbs. Here's a link to mine that shows the Amazon link...looks like it's unavailable now though:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Repro-YF-carburetor-for-the-300-six-tp70663p85580.html

That carb worked really well, but I did end up having to swap the metal float from the old carb, which was an Autoline reman of an original YF.

I have never used them myself, but I know that Mike's Carburetors gets universal good reviews, and they should have good quality carbs.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Brock
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I do think you have the non-feedback system as I don't see the wiring to the carb for the feedback module.  But what I was really looking for was a pic of the distributor as it is easier to tell whether you have the TFI ignition system that goes with the feedback carb.  However, even though there isn't much light on the dizzy it is in the top pic and it doesn't look to have the TFI module hanging off of it.

As said, TFI and feedback carb go hand in hand.  W/o TFI you should have a DS-II ignition module that looks something like this on the driver's fenderliner.  If so, then you have the non-feedback carb, and the cheap Chinese carb might work well for you.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brock
Thanks Gary. That would definitely safe money.  Here is a pic of the distributor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't see a TFI module hanging off the dizzy and I see what I think is one of the DS-II connectors on the far right side of the pic, so I'm pretty sure you have the non-feedback carb.  However, if you were to take a pic of a bit farther to the right I could confirm that the DS-II module is there.

But let's see what others have to say.

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Nice Looking 300! There are a few of us here. I know its not what you asked but since nobody else has brought it up, have you considered rebuilding your factory carb? I think the rebuild kit I bought at autozone was $20. it looks like Gary has the shop manual instructions for that carb right here on the site.
https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carter-yfa-1bbl.html

as others have pointed out, having the non feedback carb and ignition system will make your life much easier if you decide to do any performance upgrades down the road. There are basically no good options for upgrading from the factory carb without the use of an aftermarket intake manifold. There is every chance in the world that running a new 2.5" exhaust and finding some of the EFI style exhaust manifolds would make a bigger felt difference that an intake/carb swap anyhow.

Youre in the right place!
1984 Bronco, mild built 300-6, Np435, 3.55 gears, 8.8 rear with Eaton TrueTrac, D44 TTB front, 31" tires, Duraspark II, Offy C, EFI manifolds, Holley 390, No AC, 3G alternator, front receiver
Reply | Threaded
|

EpcStrm
I have the same set up, on my 300 sits a holley 4 barrell on an offenhauser intake. No complaints with that set up.
Roy. 1986 Bronco Custom. 300 inline 6. 4 speed manual, 9 inch rear end, 4 inch suspension lift
Reply | Threaded
|

Brock
In reply to this post by StraightSix
StraightSix - This rig used to belong to my dad.  The mechanic he used told me that that the existing carb was somewhat faulty and had issues with the choke.  He recommended going with a new carb. He put in a manual choke but cold starts have always been difficult and are getting worse, especially in these cold Montana winters. I’d like to start on a more simple carb project, since I am not an experienced mechanic.  Though I really like the idea of performance or mileage upgrades, I’d settle for a fix that would just make it more dependable.  Do you have pictures of your rig?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brock
In reply to this post by EpcStrm
Glad to get in touch with some 300 guys.  What do you mainly use your Bronco for, rock climbing.  Any pictures?  So you have the 2.5 in exhaust with an EFI manifold?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
I don't see a TFI module hanging off the dizzy and I see what I think is one of the DS-II connectors on the far right side of the pic, so I'm pretty sure you have the non-feedback carb.  However, if you were to take a pic of a bit farther to the right I could confirm that the DS-II module is there.

But let's see what others have to say.
I am with Gary as it looks like you have a vacuum advance dist. and if that is factory then you should NOT have a feed back carb.

The carter YF carb had to be one of the easiest carbs to rebuild.
As long as the throttle shaft bore is not warn it should take a rebuild and work great again.

I have a 300 in my 81 F100 flare side and have rebuilt the carb and doing so had to un-do a PO mess!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Guys im quite sure im looking at the feedback solenoid in both of the first two pics
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - If you are right that changes everything. We’d better make sure before going farther.

Maybe we need better pics?

Reply | Threaded
|

Brock
Sorry for the delay here are more pictures