New Truck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Truck

Damon Hart
Hopefully you guys can save me a lot of time attempting to track the information down on  the internet.  My signature has the basic relevant information on the truck.  I need to put a kill swoitch on this thing before it gets peeled but I can't find an under the hood fuse box.  Does one even exist? i finally found the EEC and I am tempted to tap into the red wiring to shut the fuel system down.  I also wondered if I could trigger the impact switch but I can't seem to locate one... Suggestions, please.
1986 F-250; 302 Boss, EFI.  Damon
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Truck

FuzzFace2
I believe the impact switch is on the firewall behind the glove box.

If you have in tank fuel pump stopping the pumps from running I think would be good.
If they get in to the truck and pop the hood they can then hot wire it and jump the solenoid to get it to crank and off they go.

I remember reading a post where someone used the lighter to make / break a connection.
If you ran the impact switch thru it and then the switch out to the pumps or how ever it runs would be good way to stop someone.
With the lighter pulled out no power, push it in and you got power.
Being it is in the ash tray close it and it is out of sight.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
An 86 will have gauges, and that means it is wired for a tach. And if you ground the tach wire you can crank the engine all day but it will not run. Hook the tach wire to the hot side of the cigar lighter instead of having power there and when you push the lighter in the engine will not run.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Damon Hart
Interesting.  I didn't think the 302 was even an option with 250/350 trucks.

There is no fuse panel in the engine compartment, just the one above your left knee.

Gary is sneaky  (and correct) If you ground the tach wire the coil won't fire.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm impressed that it has a boss engine. all dressed up in workin man's clothes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Damon Hart
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'm not sure about the fuel pump yet; I suspect it might be on the rail up by the filter; looks like a miniature bilge pump. Could one pump work for two tanks? Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Damon Hart
In reply to this post by mat in tn
It does seem small.  Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Damon Hart
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Tap in at the harness plug for the cluster, and then to the hot at the back of the lighter?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
5.0 efi in these trucks use a low pressure pump in each tank feeding an accumulator/reservoir and high pressure pump on the frame rail.

The ECU triggers the pumps for a few seconds and then waits for a signal from the distributor pickup to tell it that the engine is spinning.
This is a fire safety system.

You can find the fuel pump wiring under Documentation/Electrical/EVTM's/1986 EVTM
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Damon Hart
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thank you.. I believe I will roll with that. Sneaky is good. I wouldn't mind a fuel cut-off option for later, though, something that stands a decent of getting the would-be thieves stranded in the middle of a busy freeway.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, you could do that at the back of the cluster, or you could do it lower where it is more accessible (between the firewall grommet and cluster)

Should be dark green with a yellow dash.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Damon Hart wrote
Tap in at the harness plug for the cluster, and then to the hot at the back of the lighter?
Just to be clear, in place of the hot on the cigar lighter.  Push in the lighter, which grounds the center terminal, and the engine won't run.  Test it by starting the engine and then pushing in the lighter.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI