classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Shoes

Machspeed
Administrator
New shoes and new look..... BFG KOII's 31x10.5x15 on 15x7 Ford Wagon wheels. No rub at full turn.  

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Shoes

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Looks good!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Very, very nice and easy on the eyes!!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Really nice looking truck.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Very nice. I love 31's on a 4x4 Bullnose.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks for the kudos fellas, I rather like the new look myself. When I saw the tires prior to mounting, I thought they might be way too big and I was a little nervous about how they would fit and look. All turned out well and I really like the Ford Wagon Wheels! I kept the old wheels and tires and will likely use them for long hauls.    

Before

After
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Poletto
That looks so good!!!

How is the ride quality with a 10.5" tire on a 7" rim? I'm on the fence about buying the exact same set of tires for my truck which has the same set of wheels.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 2WD
South Florida
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Good question, and thank you! Ride quality is good, perhaps a little more cushy. Handling may be a little sloppier as well and they may be a smidge noisier than the previous tires. All these are subtle as compared to the previous tires, though. I am pleased!    

Not sure this set up will work on your 2wd so you may want to have one test fitted prior to commitment. Discount Tire was good to me in this, as I had concerns about it and they ordered them and said if they did not please me, they'd order me something else or go with a different size.    
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - You might want to play with tire pressures to get the ride and handling where you want them to be. Tire width and wheel width combinations require different pressures to get the tire "flat" across the tread.

I use the driveway to the shop as a guide.  It doesn't get much traffic and the concrete has a chalky top layer such that driving over it leaves a bit of white on the tires.  I shoot for the white to go all the way across.  Too much pressure and it is only in the center.  Too little pressure can sometimes not show in the center.  But if I increase pressure at some point it'll only show white in the center and I know I've gone too far.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks Gary, I've read about that and had thought to play with it. When time permits, I will look into it.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the wider tires and wheels will take a bit more pressure to get your ride and control back to where it was.  It won't hurt to just go up a few pounds and try that.  Don't know what you are running, but maybe go to 35 if you are below that?

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
That is very noticeable improvement, Chief!  Nice touch using the correct trim rings with red stripes.  Those wagon wheels look great and belong on a Bullnose.  The later wheels you had looked too modern and "too aftermarket" to me.  

When I took possession of Lucille, she had aftermarket slot wheels that I replaced with the same stock wagon wheels you have.  Except mine are the 15x8 version that came on the 1987 - 1991 4wd Bronco with the optional 31" tires:

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
LARIAT 85 wrote
That is very noticeable improvement, Chief!  Nice touch using the correct trim rings with red stripes.  Those wagon wheels look great and belong on a Bullnose.  The later wheels you had looked too modern and "too aftermarket" to me.  

Whoa, coming from someone whom owns one of the nicest Bullnose Trucks on this forum, that's a big compliment.  Thank you!

And, I agree that the Ford wagon wheels are more fitting for our trucks.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Machspeed wrote
LARIAT 85 wrote

Whoa, coming from someone whom owns one of the nicest Bullnose Trucks on this forum, that's a big compliment.  Thank you!
I think you just paid me an even bigger compliment, so thank YOU.  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.