New Member - Jon (and Jolene)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member - Jon (and Jolene)

Jon M
Presenting 'Jolene', the 1984 I6 1.9 single cab base-model F-150!

Just picked her up for the right price but, man, she needs a bit of work. I needed something that could transport lumber and masonry for the house. I couldn't really rationalize spending too much money so I ended up with this old thing which needs a lot of love. She's not going to be registered for a while, I have to completely redo the brake system (rotten rubber lines), re-seal the oil pan, and address some rotting suspension mounts. Thus the name Jolene; she's going to take my wife's man from her a-la the old Dolly Parton song.

Other projects that will need addressing at some point are a rotting floor pan, a complete lack of A/C compressor system (was it optional in this generation??), and the air pump was deleted which I *really* hope doesn't impact her inspection. Also you might notice some door Bondo work, and if you look really close you'll notice the pain job is amateur work at best. We're just going to put all that off till... probably forever. There's a limit to my skills and time. I guess the goal is to make Jolene able to cross the country safely. Bit of a high bar, I know, and I may not get therebut first I want to get her registered and safe so I can start making lumber runs.

Anyway, I'm super thrilled this forum exists and really looking forward to all the help this y'all seem to give out!

Jolene

I neglected to post, Jolene and I (and my wife and kiddo) are located somewhere along the eastern seaboard, not to put too fine a point on it. we'll say the state of Maryland for sake of generalities
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member - Jon (and Jolene)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As said, welcome!  Glad you joined.  And thanks for posting an intro.

Concerning the map, I just said "Maryland" and Google Maps dropped a pin in the middle of nowhere.  We don't put actual addresses, but we can move it if you want me to.

And A/C was an option.  In fact, there was an option called Hi/Low Vent that had the dash vents and all of the ductwork but didn't have the compressor, evaporator, or condenser.  But those were few and far between, and usually when you have the dash vents you have the full A/C system.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Nice looking truck, looks better than what mine did when I bought it.

As for AC Gary is right but also know you cant find a AC truck and swap the HVAC parts over as a bolt in.
The firewalls are different, non-AC has 2 large holes and AC 3 large holes and some small hole not in the right places.
Some say you can cut the 3rd large hole and block some of the smaller holes but I dont know how true that is?

Me I replaced half the firewall from a AC truck and all AC parts in to my non-AC truck.
Some said at the time I was not all there and may still not be  
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon M
Well that explains everything. I guess installing A/C isn't happening any time soon! But if it's possible I'll probably keep it on the ol' "To Do" list. And I suppose I can always install a fan, summers get hot!
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Jon M
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jon M
There were dealer-installed systems.  And outfits like Vintage Air make systems that can be added on, but they are pricey.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI