New Member Introduction

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member Introduction

ore13
Hello, my name is Noah and I hail from Grass Valley, California.

My wife and I started gathering animals (goats, pigs, chickens, dogs) about a year ago for our a small homestead. In that time, we have and continue to build fence, shelters, schlep feed, along with the multitude of other things needed to maintain the animals as well as our house. I have been looking for a good farm truck since January to haul stuff around so I don't have to use my 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser. I was looking for something that I didn't care if it got scratched or dinged, was somewhat reliable since it's not going to be a daily driver, and not a crazy amount of money (which seems to be the norm this year). Bonus options is a manual transmission, call me old school...but, I like to row my own gears, a lumber rack, tool box, a and pre 1997 diesel so I don't have to deal with smog-ing an old truck.

After the long search, I finally found a good candidate but it was located 4 hours (one way) from my house. Numerous texts and phone calls with the owner about the history, reliability, etc. later, my step-son (who is 18) and I made the trek last Sunday. After a good 2 hours of going over the vehicle and test driving it and going over the things that needed addressing. I decided that it was just what I was looking for (details are provided below), so I made the owner an fair offer of $4,800. He was asking $5,000 and said he was pretty firm on the price. To my surprise, he counter offered at $4,500 because he felt bad that I had to deal with the fixit items, the long trip I took to get there, and he was tired of answering questions from prospective buyers.  I couldn't refuse. I paid him the money, then proceeded to spend the next hour adjusting the alternator belt tension, loose battery clamp, and a loose exhaust clamp and doing a once over before hitting road.

I always find it a little nerve racking to drive an new used vehicle for the first time, and was more than a little nervous about the 4 hour drive back home in a 36 year old rig. Well, I had nothing to worry about. She made it home with no drama whatsoever, once I got used to the clutch action (see description of issue below).

In researching the truck, I had read alot on the Ford Enthusiast Forum but, didn't find this forum until after I bought the truck and was looking to decipher the VIN and the door sticker. Finding this site has been great and I have spent the past few days pouring over posts about these rigs. So, happy to have the resource. Thanks everyone.

Now, what you have all probably been waiting anxiously for...the nitty gritty on the truck.

-1985 Ford F250
-4x4
-Originally had the 6.9 idi but was replaced with a 7.3 idi with about 80,000 miles from a 1989 with a shot tranny. The story from the owner and his mechanic is that an aftermarket turbo was installed on the 6.9 idi and the intake was bolted up near the firewall at the cowl. The owner had parked it facing downhill during a large rainstorm and water got into the intake and hydrolocked the motor. Hence the necessity for the swap. This was about 5 years ago and he drives it 3-5,000 miles a year. So, less than 100,000k on the motor.
-From what I can gather from the VIN and very faded door sticker is the following.
-Built in Canada
-GVWR 8,600 lbs
-Sterling Rear Axle 3.55
-4 speed Borg Warner T-19 tranny
-133" wheel base
-Tan vinyl and carpet interior

So far, i am loving it and have already used it to haul a new granite bar top (we are remodeling), hay, and feed. For a 36 year old truck, it's in pretty good shape and I don't mind wrenching on the small stuff. The most significant problem issue is that the clutch doesn't always like to release at slow speeds or when starting out. It seems to work better sometimes if I double clutch. Once going, shifting up or down is no problem. Sometimes too, the clutch pedal sticks when it's fully depressed and I have to pull it back with my toe. I have read about the firewall reinforcement and I am about to order the bracket from Bronco Graveyard (thanks to a mention from a post in this forum) to see if that helps.

The other niggle is that the odometer doesn't work and is stuck at 85,861. So, I am unsure of the chassis mileage.

I only have one picture so far of her not so good side. She has a little ding on the bed behind the door. I could probably pull it out with suction puller.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member Introduction

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Noah!  Good intro.  Welcome, glad you joined.  

Would you like to be on our map?  (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.)

You sound like the perfect candidate for that truck.  You want something that works, and something you can work on.  Looks like you found it.  

Other than the diesel instead of the 460, your truck is quite similar to Big Blue - before I "upgraded" him.

On the clutch, we should probably diagnose/discuss that in a thread in the main section as it'll get more attention there than here.  But you have checked the clutch master to see that it is full?  And make sure you take the rubber boot out to check.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ore13
I'll definitely be posting more as I dig deeper into the clutch issue. Especially, if I can't figure it out. Good question about the reservoir, I did indeed check it when I was inspecting the vehicle for purchase.

What is interesting, is that I needed a good farm truck but, now that I have it and have been driving it around; I am thinking of doing some refurbishment/modifications so I can keep her around for a long time.

Sure thing, add me to the map.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ore13
Welcome to the group, glad to have you!

Sounds like a decent buy. The 7.3 IDI is a pretty reliable engine, no computer and a Stanadyne (Roosamaster) injection pump.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ore13
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I am certainly hoping this 7.3 is a good one. So, far it starts easily and burns clean. I spoke with the previous owners mechanic and he said he re-cored the radiator when he put in the 7.3 and added the supplemental additive and has checked on it during regular service intervals.

It's still alot dough for a old truck. I bet a couple years ago it'd be $2500.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the price of used vehicles, and particularly trucks, has gone up dramatically.  Take a look at the document in this post.  I think you got a good deal.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ore13
Thanks for sharing the post. Interesting to see the valuations over the years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it certainly IS!  Man, things have really taken a JUMP!  More than doubled in a year from May 2020 to May 2021.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by ore13
Welcome, NOAH! Glad you found the website.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner