classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member - I appreciate all the information found

Bigfridge417
Hello to everyone,
Purchased a 1984 F-150, 302, 4x4, long bed, regular cab here recently as an "accident".  Found a deal that was too good to pass up.  Helping to work on a friend's 1973 Bronco and made a parts run, found a kid selling the truck.  Passed initially, but my friend followed up with the kid and made an offer.  Needless to say he passed it along to be and I have a new toy to play with.  Working on deleting the smog items, changing the intake, and going to a Holley 600 cfm 4 barrel carb.  Found this forum via a Google search, and haven't been disappointed.  So much good information to be found here.  Thanks and I am looking forward to learning from everyone.

Bigfridge417
Bigfridge417
1984 F-150
302, 4x4, 4 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member - I appreciate all the information found

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bigfridge417
Welcome too the forum!   "

What are your intentions for the pickup?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Bigfridge417 wrote
Working on deleting the smog items, changing the intake, and going to a Holley 600 cfm 4 barrel carb.  
Hi Bigfridge,

I have a 1984, also with the 302 and I too installed a 4bbl intake and Holley 600 cfm carb. I thought Holleys were much more popular than they are with the truck crowd, but it seems a lot of people lean more towards the Edelbrock carbs. I don't know much about them but I wanted a Holley and that is what I went with. It works great so far!

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined and that the info is helping.  

But we have a saying here - pics or it didn't happen.  So, how 'bout some pics of your truck to prove you have one?  

Seriously though, you may want to start a thread in the main section, or in Project (your choice) on the truck.

As for the carb, I'm one of the Edelbrock fans.  Bought a new Super Bee in 1969 and it came with a Holley.  That was my first Holley and it was junk.  (Our resident carb expert, Bill/85lebaront2, agrees that those specific carbs had serious problems.)  Since then I've not been a fan.  Having said that, I know they work for a whole lot of people so it is just my opinion/experience.

Anyway, where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you if we had a city/state or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bigfridge417
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hello ArdWrknTrk, looking to make it a reliable driver.  Something that I use to work with and something to have fun with.  Will see where it takes me from there.  Thanks for asking.
Bigfridge417
1984 F-150
302, 4x4, 4 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

Bigfridge417
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I will take the advice and start a post on the projects page, I'll get some pics of it up there soon.  I will say inside and outside is a little rough but nothing that I can't work with.  This is the first Holley carb that I have used, I have an Edelbrock on my 1959 Ford T-Bird that was my dad's car and that one runs pretty well.  I think once we get the carb set up properly it'll be a runner.  I am putting this truck together with bits and pieces that my friend has laying around his shop, so we are experimenting as we go.

As for location I am located in southwest Missouri, 65804.  But am originally from St. Louis.
Bigfridge417
1984 F-150
302, 4x4, 4 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  It is interesting to see where Google put you - really close to where my wife and I frequently hang out at Quilt Sampler and Grizzly.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Jack and Jill toy stores there in Branson?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Jack and Jill toy stores there in Branson?
Yep, only in Springfield, just up the road from Branson.

That Quilt Sampler was the mother store for a few others that opened, including in Tulsa.  Janey spent a lot of time in that one, but it closed a year or so ago.  However, the Springfield one was always better.

And I got hooked on Grizzly when I had the 3N1 lathe/mill/drill that does everything but nothing very well.  Mine was from HF but they are all of the same heritage as they all had the same error in the parts illustration.  When I needed a part that didn't exist due to the error HF couldn't help me.  But the gentleman at Grizzly was appalled that they'd never caught that error before and took a machine apart to see what the part was.  Sold me three of them for $2 each.  Now that is customer support!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've bought Grizzly parts for Jet and Powermatic tools before.
They all seem to be cast from the same patterns in Taiwan.

Some are machined slightly different. Some use different handles, knobs and scales.
But if you stripped the various colour paint off them you couldn't tell the difference with a micrometer.

Grizzly's parts fulfillment can't be best!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  The 3N1's were sold by HF, Grizzly, Busy Bee, and at least two other outfits.  And they were different colors, had different collet sizes, and different badges, but all four of the owner's manuals I pulled down had exactly the same error.  And it was just a glaring error that the guy at Grizzly said "You can't even make that thing!"  I laughed cause I'd said the same thing to Janey.