New LED Tail Lights

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New LED Tail Lights

Danny G
Those are the right ones as well. Diving a but deeper white LEDs are blue led with a yellow phosphor coating, so when you use these in a red lens the lens is litterally filtering out the light your LEDs make. LEDs only output red, green and blue light. Everything else is simulated. This is why it's important to use the color led for your application.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
LED's can also emit in the ultraviolet or infrared.

White light is the entire visible spectrum.

The point is, that they have a very specific band*width.
That's why the better ones are batched.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi guys,
Any update on what our friend Jose is up to? I'm not up on the FB thing so all I see is a cool picture but no news.

I was going to go ahead and put in an electronic flasher to replace the dented and dubious one that's in there now. I noticed that my fuse box has two flashers, one in the front and on in the rear of the fuse box. Do I need to replace both of those for LED turn signals to blink "normally"?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Not for the normal turn signals usage you don't.
The one on the back is the hazard flasher so it will only matter when the hazard switch is pulled.

The electronic flasher I used was too tall for the backside so I remote mounted mine.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Its been a couple of months since I saw anything on Facebook. But he had been deployed away on a job or something like that. When he returned I saw a post that he was moving and getting a building set up to start working on them again.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
And, by the way, I should also say that in my experience just swapping out the incandescent bulbs in our tail lights with LED doesn't really work.  At present I have a new incandescent in one side of Big Blue and an LED in the other.  And at night the incandescent is brighter.

I think the reflector was designed for a point source rather than the LED's that are scattered all over.  Basically what we discussed re headlights.  But Jose's approach should resolve that problem by placing LED's firing directly back, although I wonder how easily they are seen from an angle.

Also, don't miss that he says "I also add a very powerful white led as a back up light to shine up the night."
Do you have white or red LED lights when you had this issue?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had white LEDs.  But I've read that there are better LEDs for the tail/stop light function that would be brighter than incandescent.  Maybe I just had the wrong ones.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
yea I realized this was an older post that I commented on before. You need to match the LED to the lens color because "white" LEDs are already filtered via yellow phosphorus to simulate white. It isn't true white light that contains all wavelengths like a halogen, its a eye trick, smoke and mirrors.

Basically "white" LEDs are actually blue when they pass through the yellow phosphorus it creates that affect. BUT with that said Red, yellow and orange lenses will filter out blue light. This is why blue blocker glasses are these colors. SO you are trying to pass a natively blue light, through a blue light blocking lens.

Red LED lights put out red light and will work well like the ones I posted previously.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Do you guys have recommendations for good quality brands (including from where you bought them - local parts store or online) or are they all pretty much the same?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I bought a couple specialty bulbs from SuperBrightLeds and am very happy with them.

In general though - if JDM Astar offers what I need, I will buy those (eBay).
Early on I bought some of the "12 for $1" type bulbs and while some worked, the percentage was low. They would either flicker, burn out, dim randomly, or twist apart when installing them. Have had zero issues with JDM's.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
superbrightleds.com makes it super easy to get the right one, and they let you pick the exact color. Prices are great and shipping is lightning fast. Can't say much about the brands. Have heard that Phillips makes the best LED products.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior