Negative Battery Cable Pigtail

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Negative Battery Cable Pigtail

sgauvry
Not fast, necessarily, but plenty powerful! My little 302 clearly won't scream either, but it will get the job done to suit my needs.

Talk to me about the headers.  I know they're suppose to enable exhaust to flow better.  I also know they are 20x's more difficult to maneuver around (have to remove the passenger header to get to starter, as an example) and more difficult to attach because of the bolt alignment (quite a few of the bolts are so close to
the header tubes that they are difficult to turn.  Do you have other reasons you won't use them?

Steve
Steven A. Gauvry - 1985 F150 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are asking Bill, but he said talk to me, so I'll chime in.  

For whatever reason, it appears that no header manufacturer can get their product to truly fit.  I have the Cadillac of headers, L&L's, that cost over $600, and they don't fit.  In fact, the driver's side header is against the frame on Big Blue.  So, when you give the engine some gas and it torques to the right the header comes off the frame - until you let off and it slams back against the frame.  

I don't know that ALL headers don't fit, but I've read too many stories about them not fitting that I'm starting to believe that's the case.  However, other than hitting the frame, mine are fine.  L&L's have a very thick 1/2" flange, and that seems to cure the perennial leakage problem that most headers have.  And I don't have a problem getting to the starter with them either.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Steve, here are some pictures for you, I could not find a male/female two pin set for the 0.110" pins. I did find a 4 pin pair for those that would work nicely and I would simply use all 4 0.110" pins. A little redundancy is always a good idea, ask NASA.

Two pin female connector, probably fits ACT, ECT, or similar.

Four pin female weatherproof connector.

Four pin male weatherproof connector, note the red seal ring.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Those would work nicely.  How much do you want for them?
Steven A. Gauvry - 1985 F150 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Steve, figure $5 + shipping. I will throw the male/female electrical connectors, 4 each in with them. What you might want to do, since you have the later style negative cable anyway, is put a ground lug on the small pigtail and connect it to the inner side of the fender and when you make the chassis side of the EFI system ground attach it there. That will also help with the abysmal ground system on these trucks. Do you still want the vacuum valve set, or were you going to a newer computer? If you want it I will box everything up together. It may be a couple of days, ole man winter is trying to hang on for a couple more weeks.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413