classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NOS Radiator - Will it fit my Bullnose?

Bronco638
Hey Everyone,
I recently acquired a 1980 F-150 Flare Side. The original powertrain was a 351M & C6. The 351M is gone so I've decided to go 302 with an AOD. Since I'm going Windsor block, the C6 won't work (so it's good for a core or it's off to the local wrecking yard, or both).

Locally, I found an NOS radiator (the O.E. radiator is gone, too). The seller shows a partial part number (via picture) of: E2TH-   BGA (which is stamped on the top). I know that 8005 indicates radiator but the prefix is throwing me as is the "BGA".

So, I reached out to Gary thru the Contact form. He was kind enough to quickly reply but asked if I would start a thread on this so others could benefit.

Gary was able to de-code what I sent him to: E0TZ 8005-Z

I checked the Documentation > Cooling Systems > Radiator Part #'s page and sure enough, that radiator will work in a 1980-84 F-100 thru F-250 with an automatic transmission and Super Cooling. In fact, it appears as if it's the only radiator part number Ford lists for any F-100 thru F-250 regardless of transmission or cooling package.

I hope Gary will jump in here and let us know how he was able to determine the Ford Part Number based on the little information I provided to him. He mentioned he was travelling so it may be a few days.
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NOS Radiator - Will it fit my Bullnose?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, any number on a part is not a part number.  

And what you provided, E2TH 8005-BGA is proof of that as "TH" in the prefix doesn't fit with part number nomenclature.  Nor does the "BGA" in the suffix.  Given that it was on the part then it will be an ID #, and the only way to find a part number when given the ID # is to go to Ford's master cross-reference book.

I happen to have scanned in the 1985 book and have it on my One Drive in sections given the massive size thereof.  (There are about 650 #'s per page and over 1,000 pages.)  So I downloaded the 579 Mb file and searched it for that ID #, which is shown below.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome to the forum.

I have to ask why the NOS radiator are they giving it away?
If not do you want to trust something that has been moved around a bunch as old as this is where you can end up with leaks from cracks.
I know you are not going for a 100 point show truck if you are swapping out the motor for a different one the truck never came with so why the NOS radiator?

Me I would look into a new one that would fit your truck with the motor you want to put in it.
If the 80 did not come with a 302 then look up 81 or 82 with a 302.
If you go much later the way the radiators get mounted changed.
Just my .02
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Radiator changed in '85.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
If you're going with a 302, you're going to want to change the perches on the frame as 351M/400 perches are at a different angle and your engine won't fit them well, if at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Hey Dave,
I wouldn't say they're giving it away but the asking price is pretty much the same as aluminum radiators I see on Jeg's or Summit. This one is Super Cooling (3 core) whereas the after-market aluminum ones are 2 core. My truck has factory AC so having the extra core is a plus.

This radiator is still in it's original box and has never been used. The owner purchased it for an old project and never got around to finish said project. Based on the dust on the box, it's been sitting in his attic a LONG time. He says he has an NOS front bumper for a '73 F Series truck, too.

From what I can tell (based on info here), this radiator will fit my truck and will work with the 302. And, since it's the same price as something brand new, why not?
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
This post was updated on .
If you're going with a 302, you're going to want to change the perches on the frame as 351M/400 perches are at a different angle and your engine won't fit them well, if at all.

That is contrary to what I've seen based on comparing my perches to ones that supported a 302. Here's an image of the engine compartment of my truck:

Here's a screen capture from YouTube of a guy that pulled a 302 out of his F-100:

Those perches look the same as mine, IMHO.

Edit/Update: I see that there's more info HERE.

So, what's the difference between the E0TZ 6028-C (302 passenger side) and E0TZ 6028-A (351M passenger side) and E0TZ 6029-C (302 driver side) and E0TZ 6029-A (351M driver side)? They sure look very similar.

Edit/Update 2: Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has the perches for 302-351W, 351M-400 but makes the distinction that those are for 4WD only. They say there's a difference between 2WD and 4WD frames. Ford doesn't make that distinction.

I guess this is going to boil down to a test fit with engine and transmission. I plan to at least have the sheet metal forward of the firewall off when I test fit the drivetrain. I may even opt to have the cab off, too. It'll make install/removal (if necessary) simple.
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I cannot say for certain that they won't work. only because I have not put a Windsor in place of a 385 series. I have replaced perches many times though, usually putting a Windsor in place of a six. in the two pics the passenger side does look different, but it could be the picture angle. they stamped them with what they were intended for, and the differences may be small, but ford did not make so many different ones unnecessarily.  my only caution is to put known parts in first while the bay is open. these are held in place by serious rivets, and we have removed them by torch or grinder. four on the short side and five on the long. a couple bolts too. the ones on the driver side are shared rivets with the I beam bracket underneath. yet not all. look closely to determine which can stay as they should. these are going to be much more of a job as an afterthought.