My "little" project

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
73 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My "little" project

PetesPonies
Paint was lacquer. Lacquer never chemically cures. When you spray more lacquer over lacquer all ready there, it loosens the old paint and mixes. Enamel won't even do that, much less urethanes. They go through a chemical curing. I could prime the car in black primer and spray it white. It might take an extra coat. Tinted primers are used when working with transparent paints. It can save a coat of expensive paint. But if it isn't transparent, it isn't needed.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Put the painted bed on today.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Lookin' good Pete! Are you doing a plastic bed liner or a roll on?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Looks great!  

But did you use straps to lift it?  If so, I'm curious why.  I would have thought you'd use the rubber pads on the lift to raise it, so I'm seeking to learn.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Yes does look great.

Gary Lewis wrote
Looks great!  

But did you use straps to lift it?  If so, I'm curious why.  I would have thought you'd use the rubber pads on the lift to raise it, so I'm seeking to learn.
Gary I am thinking you cant lift it from below as where would you put the rubber pads?

You can't lift from the lower bed side as they are not stiff enough and would fold like a wet paper towel.
I am guessing he lifts at the stake pockets with straps around the arms.

I do the same on my flare side but my straps go around the rafters and down to the bed stake pockets.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - Maybe I got lucky, but I've lifted on the bottom of the bed sides.  Both with the lift as well as carried a bed from the front of the shop to the back.  And didn't have any problems with it folding or bending.  But I can see the issue.

As for lifting from the stake pockets, that would solve the bendy problem, but now you have the potential for sway.  And then the bed could hit the cab.  Perhaps if you keep the straps really, really short?

As said, I'm seeking to learn.  I'm not anticipating picking up the bed, but the cab on Dad's truck.  That's so I can drop the engine and tranny in as a unit and install the rear cross member, which has to be positioned and new holes drilled, so I need the cab out of the way  But, I want to ensure I don't damage the cab or the bed in the process.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Lifting the cab with the pads under the stiff rockers is fine, heck I even supported mine on horses under the rockers with out issues.

As for lifting with straps and sway I don't think you can get any longer than mine from the rafters, have to use a 6' ladder to put the strap over the beam, so they are pretty long and never had issues with sway.
I also have to lower 1 strap at a time so I lower the bed as close to the frame as I can before I push the truck back under it.

I also think (been a long time since I played with the bed / floor) I only had to deal with the floor. Once on the frame I then use the straps to help hold a side till I get the front panel bolted to it. I can then bolt the 2nd side to the front panel and then the sides to the floor.

But to be safe I hang a moving blanket over the back of the cab just in case.

But on a style side bed you could hang a blanket over the bed so not to hurt the cab paint.

Come paint time I plan to paint the bed apart then bolt it together and store it in the house garage (don't tell the wife her car has to go outside) till the truck is painted. I hope I can move it on the trailer for the garden tractor. So I think a blanket on the bed when installing it on the frame for the last time (I hope) will work using the straps.

It's what has worked for me so far.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Lifting with straps works great, easy peasy. A bed certainly could be lifted by the channels under neath. BUT, you have to lift it to get it in under the channels. Then when sitting down on the dolly, you have the same issue again. Then twice more taking it off the dolly and back on the frame of the truck. Straps, it's easy. One man job, did it with no help.  Here's a pic of it sitting on the dolly.

Also, figured something out that is Bullnose related . . the early tailgates, I think 1980, '81 and maybe '82 Bullnose, use the same tailgate pivot bushing as the early Rangers. This is significant because the bushing are made for these Bullnose tailgates. Carpenter has them. But no one advertises them as fitting the early Rangers as well. And none of the early Ranger people I spoke with knew this. So there  :)

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - You are right about the "Insert (Tailgate Hinge Opening), aka pivot bushing.  Except, it was used 1983-86 on the Bullnose, and 1983-88 on the Ranger, as shown here: Exterior/Beds, Tailgates, & Components.  (However, that part didn't show until just now, and as I added it I left the Ranger application info in just for you.  )

As for the straps, what do you hook them to in the stake pocket?

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Just the lip of the pocket. The weight of the bed is enough tension. The hook is held in tight.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Tailgate painted and installed. The bushing is the trick :)  
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Again, I love the colors!  It looks so sharp.  So crisp, and so period-correct.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Yes looks nice.
How did you do the lettering on the gate?
Paint the blue then tape off the letters then the white?
When do we get to see it out side to get the full effect?
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have a '53 Emblem on the front fender and '53 hubcaps. The grille is going to be a '64 . .so I'm trying for even older  :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Yes I sprayed  the top part blue as well as the letter areas. Then taped off and sprayed it white. Then sprayed clear. I should have used an intercoat clear after the blue. It would have made it easier, or less chance of a boo-boo. I have to finish the grille, before it's done. Then it will be outside  :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I brushed a bedliner in the bed, then used a drop in under rail bedliner on top of it. The bed had some pretty good sized dents  and to me, wasn't worth the effort to try and remove. The drop in liner does the trick. But I wanted to protect the metal, hence the brushed in liner. Then added the tailgate protection and tool box.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Beautiful! Want to do my truck?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - It looks wonderful, and will last a lifetime.  Well done.  

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I'm finishing the grille and front bumper now. Thats the only things holding me up from driving.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Man, if I were that close on Dad's truck, which I can't even imagine, I'd be chomping at the bit to get it on the road!  So, I'll bet you are as well.