My first car show ever

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My first car show ever

rcarlisle
We took Walter to the local car show on 10/9/2021.  Entered in the 76- 99 car & truck class.  Shoulda done Rat rods - would have fit better after I saw the judging.   But was mainly there for the fun and swap meet.  Very laid back.  

Had to fix a leaking heater hose before we could go - 5 minute fix.  But it had sprayed the engine compartment Friday night; looked like we blew the motor, lol.  

But you can see on each side of me are much nicer cars.  It was fun.  They said I had to raise hood or lose points.  I had it closed to see the Explorer emblems since you don't see them a lot.   The interior is the star of this build.  

I picked up a set of headlight doors from a guy I know.   they might be this much >||< better than the ones I have.   I'll use the best ones, and sell or pay forward the leftovers.   Also found the nice 1981 tag for $15.  

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My first car show ever

Gsmblue
Nice, hope you had fun!  I am hoping to do the same next year. The weather has turned here and it is too cold to be sat out :)
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Cool!  I enjoy going to shows, but haven't for a while so need to get started again.  It is fun talking to the other owners - even if you don't win.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I have only been to 2 shows, 1 you paid a fee and other people choice, that handed out prizes.
The others I have gone to are Cars & Coffee where you show & share with other gear heads.
I never go looking to win anything but did at my first show, the paid one.

2 weeks ago I volunteered at the club that has let me tag along to other car outings with them and had a look at the judging sheet just to get an ideal what they look for / at.
I did ask if other clubs use the same sheets or things they judge and they did not know.
I would like to see if I can look at or get sheets from other clubs just so I know what they are looking at.

BTW yes hood up, if you have a car with a truck it should be open also or loos points.
The sheet I saw they gave points for jack & lug wrench, if you had a display of any type.
I have a photo book of the rebuild and a 1 page description of the truck & mods I did as you cant see them unless you know the trucks. Models, stuff toys and like what I have are all displays.

As for them really nice looking cars on either side how often do they drive them?
If it is like 1 guy I talked to at the paid show he only takes the truck out for shows after dusting it off before. After the shows he stops for gas on the way home and back in the garage.
His words "I dont enjoy the truck like I did before all the work".
I had more miles on my truck in 2 years than he had in 5 years since his truck was finished, it was a vary pretty truck.

The other thing that shocks people is that "I" did all the frame off rebuild work, not many can say they have done the work to their rides.

Go to shows to share and talk with other gear heads.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Sometimes I kinda wish shows had a "daily driver" class for those of us who restored our vehicles and continue to actually use them. I know it kinda defeats the purpose of a car show... but I can't afford to render my truck a show-only truck, and to progress much farther than it is (other than maybe dash/uphostery/vinyl floor replacement), I'd be making changes that would render it "too nice to daily drive".

Just a thought... although I haven't been to many shows, and have only been part of one show (Gary's show this year, in fact!).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Yeah, after investing a ton of time and money in a project and get it where you want it, you don't want to drive it. I worked on my truck for about a year and while I really enjoy the new feel, I don't like driving it in the elements, nor am I so eager to go throwing stuff in it anymore. I can relate.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I invested several tons of money in Big Blue and then drove him to Colorado and back to go offroading.  Oh yes, and won Best Upgrades in some obscure truck show before going.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I invested several tons of money in Big Blue and then drove him to Colorado and back to go offroading.  Oh yes, and won Best Upgrades in some obscure truck show before going.  
Yeah, want to see you do that with Dad's Truck.....

Speaking of Dad's truck, you need to put Blue on the shelf and get after it!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, that's not gonna happen with Dad's truck.  It will be a trailer queen - when done.

As for placing Big Blue on the shelf, I hope that can be done in the next 12 months.  I have three projects I want to do before then, inc the EFI, the rear & front view cameras, and the bumper/spare tire mount.  But the latter can be put off easily.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
Yeah, after investing a ton of time and money in a project and get it where you want it, you don't want to drive it. I worked on my truck for about a year and while I really enjoy the new feel, I don't like driving it in the elements, nor am I so eager to go throwing stuff in it anymore. I can relate.
Try a 4 year cab off frame rebuild! I built it as a (vary nice) driver.
I dont really like taking the truck out in the rain, most of what we get here even in winter, as it gets dirty and harder to wash and in winter colder! If I take it to work or out for dinner and it rains oh well.

I am careful of what I put in the bed not to hurt the tail gate or the painted sides, floor has bed liner.
Going to load up the weekly trash for the dump in a few.
Tomorrow I am going to load up 2 or 3 canopies and my car show chairs for a gathering for pets we volunteer / foster for.
I also used the truck to / from work last week 370+/- miles.

Got to enjoy it wile you can
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
You're talking about your Red/White stepside, Dave? Yes, very nice truck! I'd have a hard time hauling trash in that fella and it would never see the elements. I do my best these days not to drive my truck in even the rain. Wouldn't you know it though, after the Truck show we had I got in a huge down poor leaving Skiatook.....argh. Then, yesterday got caught in more rain going out of town for a scheduled tire change.

These things remind me of what the GOOD BOOK says about things...Matthew 6:19-20
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just back from a trip to Michigan to see the trees turning.  And I think there's a minor edit needed for that passage: "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures in Michigan, where rust destroys even new vehicles, much less the old..."  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yes, I'm sure.....
John

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Machspeed wrote
You're talking about your Red/White stepside, Dave? Yes, very nice truck! I'd have a hard time hauling trash in that fella and it would never see the elements. I do my best these days not to drive my truck in even the rain. Wouldn't you know it though, after the Truck show we had I got in a huge down poor leaving Skiatook.....argh. Then, yesterday got caught in more rain going out of town for a scheduled tire change.

These things remind me of what the GOOD BOOK says about things...Matthew 6:19-20
Yep that's the one

If you look close you can see a load of cardboard ready for the "trash run" think the trash  was under it.
I also used the truck to pick up a raised flower bed for the wife, I use it!

They are doing work next door at work and the trucks going in & out have tracked clay down the street.
Wouldn't you know Friday just as I was ready to leave they sent the water truck down the street to "wash" the road. They did not do a good job and I had to drive over it and yep it got on the truck even going slow. I should wash it but its not too bad.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
WEll, it helps if I set the notifications to let me know you guys are replying.  Duh.  

THanks
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It is fun to be part of the show.  I did have two guys studying my engine compartment intensely.   My duraspark box is plugged in to two plugs, but the power (?) is not plugged in.   They are working on a 79? and couldn't figure my setup out.  I have some sort of cheap chinese distributor that isn't wired to the DS box at all.   I can unplug it all and truck runs same.   I leave it plugged so the plugs don't get corroded./

They were having the issue I've seen where truck doesn't start till they let off ignition.  I've seen that issue before but never taken the time to read the solution(s).   I did tell them to ask here.  

Next time I'll enter in the Rat rod class - I mighta got something there.  But really, who cares?  It was a fun day.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I've been to 4 cruise ins this summer and this paid show.   It would have cost $21 for wife, son, me to get in  to show/swap meet buying tix.   But doing the show was $15 and they let us all in.  

The cruise ins are fun, ride a couple times and park to go hear the band.  This is a pretty big deal apparently.  https://www.hotnightshotcars.com/  They have a great turn out and have had real beach bands all summer.  Last two were the Catalinas and the Part time party time band.    The town supports this thing big time.

Went to the local yesterday (Sunday).  They changed this one to Sunday and it was still heavily attended.  

Hood up you can't see the Explorer hood emblem, which is apparently a rarer thing with these trucks.  I get lots of questions about it.   But yeah ok.   If being judged, hood up.   My money was spent on the interior.  Engine bay is just clean and sorta stock.  Wiring is stock but some mess from the engine replacement.  So you get to see it has and engine, I guess.  

Over winter, will be building a plastic model of truck.  Maybe work on some sort of display.  

And finally, I'm not sure, but I may agree that it's not quite the same fun factor now that I consider it "done".    This truck is ours for truck stuff, but it turned out to be worth fixing on as well.  Wife says she no longer feels the need to shower after riding in it.  I guess we go to V3.0 now?  

The Charger on the left is def not a driver - how much could you drive it without being afraid of damaging it?   I think the orange car is a tribute?  And it was a bit rougher than it looks when you see it up close.   Orange car owner was driving on a dealer tag and said he traded a Harley for it.  You might could have some fun with it.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
My truck is less "fun" now that all the major things I want and can afford to do are done.  I do want to find a set of 5 hole alloys for it someday.  I have other car people looking as well.  

Paint?  Nothing more than some home applied stuff maybe - I may do the top this fall to stop the rust up there.   Truck lives in driveway, not the carport unless it's going to be really bad.  

I still don't mind using it as a truck.   That was the plan all along and we're sticking to it.   Just a nicer interior when we are in it.  It doesn't smell bad anymore after the carpet and upholstery.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I don't plan to go out in truck if it's raining, but if I get caught, that will be okay.   I don't HAVE to drive it.  And if it were going for wood for home project, probably wouldn't go in rain anyway.   Just seems to me that trucks driven are many times rustier than undriven trucks.   My Kona is much safer in foul weather than the truck would be.  

I stopped and looked at an 86 last week that has been parked in man's driveway for years.   No rust at all showing.  It's that sky blue and you would see any rust comeing through.  I have been wanting to see if it was available - it's not - he was putting tires on it to give to son.  Arghhh.   Woulda been a good truck.  Point is, no rust and it hasn't been driven in years.  

I think I'm caught up now and have notifications enabled so I will know when you guys reply now.  Duh.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've toyed with trying to force notifications to be enabled on threads where we've posted.  Doesn't make sense that we can post and then not be notified that someone replied.  Will work on that, but after we migrate to the new servers and I sort out all the problems that creates.