classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mufflers - Flowmaster FlowFx vs. Magnaflow

Machspeed
Administrator
I'm in somewhat of a quandary in selecting mufflers for my truck. Currently running some old Flowmaster, 40 series, I think. I like the sound at idle but that's just about it. Gary said he had a set and they sounded flatulent. That descriptive best describes how mine sound.

I had been looking at some Magnaflow's but the guy that is doing the exhaust work for me said Flowmaster makes their own version of the Magnaflow. These are both straight through mufflers and I wouldn't think they'd sound too much different. The big thing is, the Magnaflow's are $115 each and the Flowmasters are $47. And, I gotta say, upon inspection, I was very impressed with the Magnaflows. These too are stainless. Was wondering if anyone could confirm that these two, straight through mufflers, sound the same or close to? 

Below is a video of a truck that is configured just like mine will be.... headers, true duals, X-Pipe, routed out the side. I really like the sound of this truck.

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mufflers - Flowmaster FlowFx vs. Magnaflow

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wasn't aware of the new Flowmasters until you mentioned them today so obviously can't give you any input on your question.  But with the money you have in your truck I think I'd go with what you know gives the sound you want - Magnaflows.

And, by the way, those Magnaflows on the truck in the video are probably shorter than the ones on Big Blue.  I say that because the sound is different.  Sharper.  Not better or worse, just different.  But both that truck and Big Blue sound good.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
That "sharper" sound may be because of the X-pipe.  An X-pipe will produce a more "exotic" sound.  An H-pipe is a bit more old school and will produce more of a classic "rumble."  

I went through all of this years ago when I was deciding on an exhaust system for Lucille.  

Here is cool video that demonstrates both configurations with a Magnaflow muffler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ww2sHY8HB4watch?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point.  And for the record, I have an H-pipe on Big Blue.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Good video, Rick. Thanks for the input.

Well, pulled the trigger on a couple of Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers. Found them on Amazon for $40 each. Got those and a couple of V-clamps. After much web surfing, read that the two mufflers sound nearly the same. Figure if I don't like them, I can cut them off and will only be out $80. Went with these open style mufflers because of the sound, less likely to drone over the chambered type mufflers, and less restrictive. That is what I've read, anyway.

When it all goes on, I'll post again. Maybe do a video somewhat like the above that I posted.  

Thanks again for the input, gentlemen!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Can't wait to hear the new system.