24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Muffler

rshemmy
This post was updated on .
Hello everyone,

I have a 4.9 1985 and was wondering what glasspack muffler I should get. I want something that sounds deep and low. I also don't want it to be obnoxiously loud. Any help would be appreciated.

I want to make my truck sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXLoKNqUjTo
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Muffler

Rusty_S85
Glasspack wise I have a Thrush glasspack on my truck and on my Mercury.  Its a mellow sounding exhaust note that isnt excessive.

I how ever wont be reusing it on my truck how ever, I will be running a Magnaflow XL 3-Chamber muffler instead.

This is the model I got on my truck and Mercury they come in various sizes.

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/mufflers/thrush-glasspack-muffler
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

rshemmy
Thanks. How do magnaflows sound?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by rshemmy
Well the first one you dont know if he is running log or EFI manifolds as I believe that will make a difference.
I am guessing no cats on either as that will change the sound so if you need to run one for smog just know that.
What intake & carb they running?
The other thing is where can they get replacement parts?

I have run EFI manifolds and no cat and full system out to a factory tail pipe.
First system was stock big round muffler and it was way to quite but it was free off my parts truck.
When the inlet to the muffler pulled out I replaced it with a factory 94 system as the pipes are bigger than the 81 pipes.

The only thing I did different was a muffler change from the big round factory one to a Thrush welded muffler. I like the sound, dose not sound like a tractor like the first video.

When in high school I and a buddy ran glass packs on our straight six vans and there was no change good or bad.
I also had a Toyota LC with a straight six, header (3 to 2 outlets) to made Y pipe, turbo muffler and tail pipe. Truck also ran a Holley v2 carb  with adapter to the factory intake (v2).
It sounded good, not like a tractor but you got to a certin RPM and it would bark. I was a lot younger then but I dont think it was so bad and I took that truck on some long trips back then.

So the point is you need to look at the whole system start to end.
If you dump at the back of the cab you can get sound inside that you may not like.
I say run it all the way to the rear bumper.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I run Magnaflows on everything. Took a Flowmaster off of Rusty as it sounded flatulent and put a Magnaflow on. It sounded great on the 351M.

And I’m running dual Magnaflows on Big Blue and love the sound. But there I have full length headers, a crossover, and full length 2 1/2” pipes.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rshemmy
Sounds nice. Do the magnaflow mufflers have a low tone? And if you have any knowledge, how do they compare to the sound of thrush glasspacks?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, large Magnaflows have a low tone.

And a long time ago I ran Thrush glass packs on a 348 Chevy. Sounded good but raspy.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
rshemmy wrote
Thanks. How do magnaflows sound?
I couldnt say, I havent got my new engine in the truck yet to hook up the new exhaust.

Online they sound pretty nice.  They have a more late model sound.

Some reference material I saved on youtube.

Bronco w/ 302 no cats, 3" exhaust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjVI8nkEwI

66 Mustang 289 2V, dual 2" exhaust Magnaflow XL 3-Chamber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYYNp0Y0IAA

61 Tbird 390 FE with XL 3-Chamber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-a9bHbSmCU

Crown Victoria XL 3-Chamber 2 1/4" exhaust no resonators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLtRmeFyo8Y
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
On the converters, I found out that it doesnt change the tone as much as it just lowers the decible.

I have the same thrush on my 302 and my 351W, 302 has no converters while my 351W has dual converters after each manifold.  They sound exactly the same just the truck is a bit louder than my mercury.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
rshemmy wrote
Sounds nice. Do the magnaflow mufflers have a low tone? And if you have any knowledge, how do they compare to the sound of thrush glasspacks?
Not mine but this is how my truck when it was running sounded with the thrush glasspack with a 302 and no converters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWHlXqZNPc
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, large Magnaflows have a low tone.

And a long time ago I ran Thrush glass packs on a 348 Chevy. Sounded good but raspy.
Mine wasnt raspy but I think that is more dependent on engine and firing order.

I do plan on getting some good video of my Magnaflows cause so many online for the ones I have seem to be raspy or they pop.  Ive never heard a magnaflow act like that before.  I suspect they may have a bad running engine or they have an air pump hooked up but gutted the emission systems.

I do have a video of my truck from the interior, its just crank up, rev a couple times and idle in gear.  You can hear the exhaust but it wasnt done as an exhaust video.  I will have to upload that as a comparison video on my EFI thread.  I hope the Magnaflow doesnt sound horrible with headers and my build cause I have heard enough at work to know they are very mellow and they have a nice late model sound to them over flowmasters that are super raspy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can hear Big Blue’s exhaust here: https://youtu.be/uZFw0Myh6WY

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Didnt take as long as I thought it would.

This video is from 2016, I didnt take it as an exhaust video but you can hear the exhaust from inside the cab with the driverside door open.  Stock rebuilt 302 no converters but rest of the emission systems are still in place.

https://youtu.be/nQ_j7FXPbfM

When I get the magnaflow installed I will do a follow up video and post it on my EFI thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
You can not compere a v8 to a straight six even using the same muffler, the op has a 300 six.
I believe a larger dia. pipe also makes a deeper sound.

I know down here the red necks like the loud raspy sound that just goes right thru you.
They cant be running a cat or muffler and most likely small dia. pipes.
I am afraid to get to close to them to look as I might catch something not good!
All it dose is make noise and to make it worst they put a 4" or 5" dia. (or bigger) tail pipe tip end on that acts like a megaphone
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

rshemmy
I’m deciding between a magnaflow and a thrush for sure. I’m still a bit unsure about which would sound better on my 300 (lower tone). We had some exhaust work done before and I believe the new pipes are around 2.25”. No cats either. I hear some people saying thrush are raspy and magnaflow can be raspy. What would be lower toned on my rig? Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In my experience a large Magnaflow will have a lower tone.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
You can not compere a v8 to a straight six even using the same muffler, the op has a 300 six.
I believe a larger dia. pipe also makes a deeper sound.

I know down here the red necks like the loud raspy sound that just goes right thru you.
They cant be running a cat or muffler and most likely small dia. pipes.
I am afraid to get to close to them to look as I might catch something not good!
All it dose is make noise and to make it worst they put a 4" or 5" dia. (or bigger) tail pipe tip end on that acts like a megaphone
Dave ----
Larger pipes also are quieter in general.  That was something I learned first hand at work installing 3" exhaust on customers cars I thought they would be crazy loud but in fact they were slightly quieter and didnt get louder.

You are right a 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder wont sound the same with the same muffler.  I missed where he had a 6 cylinder.  Still if I had a 6 cylinder I would probably look at thrush and magnaflow as it seems like those sound good on 6 cylinders as well.  Other brands seem to sound a bit tinny when used on a 6 cylinder.  I know Flowmaster makes a muffler just for 6 cylinders but I avoid Flowmaster as they always have a raspy sounding exhaust and they do love to drone in the cabin at highway speeds.  I never had a drone with my thrush on my truck or on my Mercury.  Im hopeful the XL 3-Chamber is the same way, shouldnt be a problem with my truck as the muffler is situated under the bed but I still dont want a drone of any kind.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Just to put my 2 cents in. I recently put a Flowmaster on my 4.9. I paid a the higher price because I wanted that killer sound. At the end of the day, it's still a 6 cylinder and runs really quiet. If you want that killer sound, it think it will take more than a muffler to do it on the 4.9. If I had to do it all over again, I would have put my money elsewhere.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I will add mine, if want a "sporty" sound on a 6, use the EFI exhaust manifolds, or a set of headers and run duals, it will sound like an old E-Type Jaguar, or Austin-Healy 3000. A flat 6 with duals sounds like a Porsche 911.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Powerman5K wrote
Just to put my 2 cents in. I recently put a Flowmaster on my 4.9. I paid a the higher price because I wanted that killer sound. At the end of the day, it's still a 6 cylinder and runs really quiet. If you want that killer sound, it think it will take more than a muffler to do it on the 4.9. If I had to do it all over again, I would have put my money elsewhere.
What manifold are you running, factory log or EFI

85lebaront2 wrote
I will add mine, if want a "sporty" sound on a 6, use the EFI exhaust manifolds, or a set of headers and run duals, it will sound like an old E-Type Jaguar, or Austin-Healy 3000. A flat 6 with duals sounds like a Porsche 911.
Well the EFI and the welded Thrush I cant say sounds like any of them, well maybe like the flat 6 as I have not heard many of them or it did not trigger a sound I would remember like the Jag or Healy it is a sound you dont forget.

I have to say at idle it is more like a v8 outside. I cant really say what it sounds at speed outside the truck as I have not been outwith someone driving it.
Dave ----
Dave G.