Muffler Suggestions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Muffler Suggestions

Powerman5K
Well, my muffler/exhaust system died today. The years of rust holding the joints together finally gave away!

I have the 4.9 engine. I'd like to put a muffler on that is aggressive sounding. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm afraid (with a 6 cylinder) that it will sound like a lawn mower going down the road. If that's the case, I'll just get a regular one. Thoughts?
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Muffler Suggestions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like Magnaflow mufflers, but I don't know what one would sound like on the inline six.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
Vibrant Ultra-Quiet Resonator!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1142

This thing is really impressive. I just had two installed on my true dual exhaust. Normally resonators change the tone of the sound but don't do much for the volume. This thing quiets it down to a very aggressive and low pitched sound without the crackle and the drone. I put these on where I had a Magnaflow muffler that was more than twice the size and these are quieter and more pleasant sounding than those. And these are tiny, like the size of a loaf of bread.

Don't confuse "quieter" for "quiet". Without the addition of mufflers on my 460 they are still loud (although quieter than the muffler they replaced). I'm going to add a set of Stainless Works Rat Traps to the end of the resonators to bring the volume way down (I have cut-outs for the neighbors).

Also Stainless Works makes really great exhaust. I learned about them from a guy who does exhaust for a Mustang customizer nearby. Not only are they 304 stainless steel, but they're packing is also 304 stainless steel, so it will probably be the last muffler you will ever buy. Also, the Vibrant stuff is 304 so when you weld all that together it looks amazing. It's probably a little too aggressive on it's own for what you're doing tho.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
So the resonator replaces the muffler? I'm ok with it being loud. I just don't want it to sound like a honda with a coffee can on the end of it!
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The sound I always liked on a 6 was a Jaguar 4.2L E-Type. They have a nice throaty drone.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I'm not an expert but I think normally a resonator goes before the muffler when it's installed, usually before or under the cab. I do know of at least one person who has their resonator after their muffler. Normally the resonator doesn't quiet the sound. This resonator does, though, some people run it without a muffler. I don't know how loud it would be on a straight 6, but I think it would be quieter than an aggressive muffler would be.

The sound is not at all tin can. The resonator is designed to cut off the high end pops and crackles and turn it into a nice deep burble. If it's too loud you can follow it with a small muffler, maybe even a race muffler, because that'll bring down the volume without otherwise affecting the sound.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm running a simple Magna flow glass pack purchased off the shelf at Oreilly's. I did this on a whim a few years ago just to see and it is not loud. it does NOT sound like a v8 for sure, but it does have a decent tone.
and yes, this is on a carbureted 4.9
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Hard to say how a muffler would sound.  One thing I noticed is Flowmaster tends to sound like garbage and have a very likely chance to have drone at highway speeds.  Flowmasters also tend to have a raspy cherry bomb sound to the exhaust.

Magnaflow tends to sound better and have more of a late model mellowness.

I personally have a 2 1/4" x 6" round Magnaflow XL 3 Chamber muffler that I wont be using on my truck as I decided to go all 2 1/2" to the tail pipe so have to buy the 2 1/2" version later.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I have a walker sound FX OE-replacement on mine. It's not aggressive though. Flows a lot better than the honda civic sized tin can a PO had zapped on!  Compared to the old the new unit gained me around 2 highway MPG, because the old one was that crap.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
One thing to note is that Walker makes Magnaflow. If you like Magnaflow, you'll like Walker, and vice versa.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Alright. All sounds good. Looks like I'm going in the Magnaflow direction. Thanks for all the insight.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Off-topic item ^ reminded me of: I actually work as a manufacturing/controls engineer for an exhaust OEM (among other things)... but all we make are Toyota exhausts (no aftermarket) . And at that, I work in a plant/department that doesn't make exhausts (although we do make pipe and stampings that eventually are made into such). What sucks as a home mechanic is that some of these companies are often suppliers (Walker was at one time, may still be?) or competitors (Tenneco's a big one there), and I often find my part buying habits following my personal opinions when such companies are involved, not the objective quality of said part.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Powerman5K wrote
I have the 4.9 engine. I'd like to put a muffler on that is aggressive sounding. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm afraid (with a 6 cylinder) that it will sound like a lawn mower going down the road. If that's the case, I'll just get a regular one. Thoughts?

I installed a Banks Monster cat-back exhaust system on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0L straight six engine and I think it sounds PERFECT.  

Here is a sound clip:
https://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/bullet/monster/banks.mp3
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
I do to an extent also. Walker and Monroe were Tenneco Automotive and a couple of others I believe. Since at one time my employer was owned by Tenneco (a) I get a check each month as part of my pension from them and (b) I do try to buy their products. I haven't needed a muffler in years, but Darth has Monroe shocks all around. They honored the lifetime warranty on my front shocks even though I had lost the receipt. Sears shocks were made by Monroe, and Sears did honor my rear shock lifetime warranty by replacing them with Monroes.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I took a video of my 460 engine running with just the Ultra Quiet Resonators. You can download the clip via this link for the next 30 days (I think):
Video Download

LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Sounds good. I like it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Sounds good, Chad. But let's put it on here so others can hear it easily:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Maybe I could be of some help

I have a Magnaflow muffler on Big Red and it's a 300 six with a couple goodies

https://youtu.be/O67oU_EBG18

And here is my old setup that I had when it had a Hedman Header, flowmaster and cutouts

https://youtu.be/rsnhAIXxiUg
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Thanks. That was extremely helpful!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Getting ready to pull the trigger on this purchase but have a couple more questions. What's the difference between a round and oval muffler? Going with a Magnaflow. Can anyone give me specific models that they use/like.