Msd wire routing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Msd wire routing

Ifitaintbroke
Running into an issue installing my 6al. I ran all of the wires together, in one large harness, to the box. Box is mounted in the cab under the driver's seat. Then, I noticed in the instructions that the trigger wires are supposed to be run separately from any other wires. Called tech support and they said that the trigger wires should be at least 6 inches away from any other wire. Problem is there's no physically possible way to do that. My observations: if that's the case, then why do all the wires enter the MSD box at the same point? That doesn't make much sense. They're already touching each other AT THE BOX. Also, I'm using the white and red wires and a Pertronix module. Observation on that: the white wire is a trigger wire, meant to send a signal to the box. The red wire is not. If I understand correctly, it is simply a power wire. Obviously MSD intended them to be run together because they share a piece of shielding. So, why is it ok to run that power wire next to a trigger wire, but none others? I'm sure most of you on the forum have had cd boxes before. Is it really that big of a deal? Is it likely to cause a miss? Opinions please!
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Msd wire routing

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't really speak to the Pertronix unit's wiring, but I can speak to the issue of running wires in parallel.  The longer the wires run in parallel the more coupling there is between them.  So the wires entering the box together doesn't really matter, it takes distance to effect coupling.

But if you run the sensitive wires in a shield and ground one end of the shield then you can run them parallel to the other wires.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
What kind of shielding are you referring to? It would have to be metal right?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it would typically be metal.  I used this stuff from Amazon on Big Blue.  It is tinned copper and can be opened up for about any size of wire run.  But running under the truck I'd put it in a piece of split loom to provide some protection.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Looks good! Guess I'll be trying that then. I'm assuming it should shield the trigger wire well enough to run it in a harness with the others?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it should.  But a shield really shouldn't be grounded in more than one place.  The reason for that is because no two places on a vehicle will be at exactly the same voltage.  So if you ground it in two places you'll have a current in the shield and that will induce a signal onto the wires inside.  It may not be much, but you aren't supposed to do it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Thanks, Gary. I just ordered some. I thought I had gotten myself into a huge nightmare. I wonder though, do most people who put in an Msd box go through all this trouble? I doubt it. And that's probably why so many of them have issues.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm guessing that most people don't put the box under the seat, so their wiring is a lot shorter than yours.  And it is the length, plus proximity, that does the coupling.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Touché.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Also, underwood heat and vibration cause problems with longevity. Hopefully I've eliminated that.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ARM Ashby
On my 86 f350 I mounted it in same place as ordinal DS2. I mounted it on a 3/4" aluminum. Been in service 10 years. Just had to replace pulsar in dist. I am using stock ford dist. I also use MSD Blaster 2 coil. Stock coil wont last with MSD. I have same system 6AL in 3 trucks with same results. One in been service 20 plus years. I live in the High Desert in Calif.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
That's very impressive. How did you run the trigger wires?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

techguyfropalcs
In reply to this post by ARM Ashby
I will probably be doing the same thing for my 300. What pulsar would you recommend?

Caleb K

1986 F150

• Supercab
  • XLT Lariat
  • 8' bed
  • 4wd
  • 302 V8
  • AOD

1980 F100

• Ranger
  • 300 L6 (4bbl intake & EFI exhaust manifolds)
  • AOD swap
  • 4wd Conversion (upcoming)
  • 8' bed

Reply | Threaded
|

ARM Ashby
I left the original Ds2 wiring in place and ran MSD wiring with it. If you use DS2 Dist. MSD has adaptor #8869 from Dist. for straight plug in to MSD. If you use Blaster2 coil mount it straight up, it is oil filled. I mounted it in same place as original coil with some easy bracket mods.