classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Motorcraft spark plug confusion?

TheGeneral
Hi everyone,

1985 F150/2wd/manual/stock ignition, inline 6 here.

I am doing a tuneup.  After 2x tuneups with Autolite copper cores I am trying to find the right Motorcraft plugs to see if I can notice a difference, but I just realized my Chiltons has a different plug than what I am told I have to special order at all three local shops (SP-420A I think)

From what I have read regarding the topic:

1.)  most people who know their trucks well, say the Motorcraft coppers are the best for the inline 6 (assuming stock ignition/distributor)

2.)  some people use a plug that goes a little deeper into the engine for better combustion (I am willing to try this)

3.)  some people use a Motorcraft plug for the EFI's on their carbed engine, just fine.    

hopefully all reasonable?

So, Chilton's 80-96 (ugh) specifies "BSF44C or equivalent", yet online auto parts stores say this will not fit my vehicle!
Does that mean it's for the 87 and up EFIs?  

The only thing close I can find that's Motorcraft is "BSF44CA" (local Autozone) and the reviews are people with 89/90/95 trucks!  I'm confused.    Sure would like to buy and try...

Is this a matter of threads/hex dimensions?  I can't find much info.  Thanks for anyone that chimes in.

Cheers, Bell

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Motorcraft spark plug confusion?

85lebaront2
Administrator
What does the emission label say for spark plugs? For example, Darth's says ASF-42 gap .044-.046
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
"BSF-42   / .042-.046"   why do I always forget to look at my labels??
  TY

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
I see, the BSF-42 is now the SP-420 I have been told I need and is not local...

So, next question would be, would I be able to use the 87-up EFI type copper plug, and would it improve performance at all?  I am trying to rule out poor quality spark plugs for a bit of stumbling I have...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think David changed to the later plugs, so I'm going to tag him.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
In reply to this post by TheGeneral
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?186716-SP450-vs-SP450A

mb757 had the following information regarding spark plug naming convention!  Super helpful.  

"The long part number on the spark plug from Motorcraft will tell you quite a bit about the plug itself, for example ASF-42-C breaks down with the ASF is the seat and thread size ASF is a 14MM tapered seat, BSF is an 18mm tapered seat, AGSP is a 14mm gasket style seat. The 42 is the heat range a cooler plug would be a 32, 22 and so forth, a 44 would be the same heat range with an extended tip. The suffix of a C would be a copper core, P would be a Platinum, and a FM would be a fine wire platinum and so forth. I like to use the long number but the short number causes much less confusion and your chance of handing out the wrong plug are a lot less."

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis