Motorcraft 2150 2BBL Carb Rebuild- Welch Plugs?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
47 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Motorcraft 2150 2BBL Carb Rebuild- Welch Plugs?

Bulletproof250
Updates:

1. Bill, The auto-parts guy had to look in the "Book" remember those things? Remember when they had the 5-foot-long binder of manufacturing catalogs, on top of the parts counter? That's where they found the PN we needed. Good thing too, I went to a another place (typically my "go-to") and they said "it's not in our system", "so we can't even order it".

2. The Vaccum leak is finally solved, Brake booster hose, and NEW CLAMP. I have all of the other vacuum lines disconnected except the vacuum advance on the Dist.  Since my EGR is blocked off, Is there a Dist. Adjustment that needs to be made? I thought I'd seen something here.

3. Idle is straightened out, It seems about 1 3/4 -Turns on the mixture screws is about the sweet spot. I'll going to do some more test driving before I make any rash decisions.

4. New Tires, on refurbished Aluminum Modulars this week.

5. I can'r believe that the summit had the exhaust Y-Pipe walker 40555, and my Local guy, again could not order it.
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not Bill, but I'm 99% as old as he is () and I sure remember the counter-long set of books.

Anyway, glad you found the vacuum leak.  And 1 3/4 turns out is pretty good.  

As for the distributor curve, yes it probably needs to be adjusted.  I say "probably" because if you don't have pinging then I'm not sure I'd worry about it.  And if you do only when you are under a heavy load, like pulling a trailer, you should be able to fix that by pulling the vacuum advance line and plugging it.

This all has to do with the way EGR works.  Inert gas from the exhaust is added to the air/fuel mix via the EGR valve during times when you are just cruising, which is usually when you have high vacuum.  The inert gas slows the combustion process, so they advance the timing via the vacuum advance in order to compensate.

But if you block the EGR plate off there's no inert gas, so the combustion process goes much more rapidly and you can have pinging.  So if you have pinging you can do one of several things:

Retard the initial timing, but that will hurt your MPG and performance at all times

Adjust the vacuum advance.  Many of the vacuum advances are adjustable.  If yours isn't then one from Crane Cams would solve that problem.

Pull the vacuum hose and plug it if the problem is only during times when the engine is under heavy loads.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Thanks Gary.

I must have looked one more "older" post back. LOL (meant no offense Bill)

Seriously though, both of you have helped greatly. My truck is going to be great, and I have to thank this forum, as is well attended with knowledgeable people.

Keep it up.
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Ok, first item, vacuum advance is not functional under heavy load, which is low manifold vacuum. Pinging under those conditions can be addressed by tightening the spring tension on the mechanical advance weights.

Pinging under light load is vacuum advance related. If your vacuum advance "can" has a hexagonal section just right in from the nipple, it can be adjusted. A 1/8" Allen wrench is used, clockwise increases the total and lowers the required vacuum, counterclockwise decreases the total and raises the required vacuum.

On the catalog rack, when my son was running the SPI warehouse in Linthicum Heights MD (Gary knows him) his first demand was a full set of printed catalogs for all lines they carried. He will be 43 this year, but spent a lot of his time in the parts business, he is now IT manger for Olympus Foreign Parts.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Well in that case Bill, I guess I've got to get the exhaust fixed soon, it's pretty loud in the cab,  just imagine the condition of the floors (think road salt in the northeast every winter for 25-ish years) But I'm not sure that I can even hear if the engine is pinging. Any tips?
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
As Bill knows, the terms "heavy load" and "light load" are subjective, and what is "heavy" for one vehicle and load might be "light" for another.  Big Blue, with the 460, 1:1 top gear, and 3.55 rear gears would pull enough vacuum at part throttle when towing my heavy car-hauler trailer with a vehicle on it to ping.  I know 'cause I pulled the vacuum advance hose and plugged it and the pinging stopped.  But w/o a trailer he didn't ping with the vacuum hooked up.

So if your engine pings then do as Bill explained and adjust the vacuum advance.  If not, don't worry about it.  But, you'll need that exhaust tamed in order to be able to hear the pinging.  But younger people and women hear pinging better than men, and especially old men.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Oh, great! Maybe that’s why I think my truck doesn’t ping! I’m assuming the hearing aids will help!

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona