Motor doesn‘t start

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Motor doesn‘t start

Jochen1964
Would appreciate some of your initial thoughts and ideas around my current issue for some orientation on where to start looking
I have parked my truck for a week and wanted to start the engine but it doesn‘t fire up. The starter turns the engine, apparently the battery is ok but it looks like no spark or no fuel (or not enough). Tried it twice after a couple of hours with the same result. Fuel gauge shows 1/3 full. It‘s a 302 windsor EFI engine from 1986. Any thoughts on where to start with my checks are welcomed.
Thanks in advance
Jochen
Mein Laster: 1986 Ford F150 XL, 4WD, sgl cab, short bed, 302 EFI
Meine Katze: KTM 890 SMT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Motor doesn‘t start

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My first check would be for spark.  I'd pull a plug wire off a plug, stick an old plug in the wire, and lay the plug on the engine.  Have someone crank it over and watch for spark.

If it has spark I'd then depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail soon after cranking it to see if fuel squirts out.  Be prepared as there can be ~60 psi in the rail, so fuel could go everywhere.

If it passes both of those tests I'd then put a timing light on the #1 plug and see if the timing is at about 10 degrees before TDC.  If so, I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve to see what the pressure is.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
check all of these for sure. after that lets go basic. when you turn the key to on WITHOUT trying to start it. do you hear the fuel pump for a three second run? if not do you hear the fuel pump relay click on and off ? if not . is it a dual tank? switch tanks and try again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
In reply to this post by Jochen1964
Thanks for your valuable input guys. Will check accordingly and report back
Jochen
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Didn't all of the 5.0 EFI trucks have the inertia switch on the inner firewall? I'd be checking that "tout de suite" as my wife would say!

I'd also make sure to check all of the engine and frame grounds as well, especially with one of the EFI trucks.

I think fuel pumps are common issues with the old EFI trucks as well, no?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, Cory.  And it fits perfectly with Matt's suggestion of listening for the pumps to run.  If the inertia switch is tripped then the pumps won't have power.

Jochen - The inertia switch is by the passenger's left toes, usually just under the edge of the carpet.  There should be yellow wires to it, one of which is from the fuel pump relay and the other going to the pump.  It should be wired as shown below if you have a single tank, but it can be reset if it is tripped by pushing the plunger down.

And I believe there's a ground right at the battery's negative terminal that is for the ECU.  So you might check that as well.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
Had a go at the issue and she fired up immediately at the first crank. Drove her for the last 3 days without any starting issues … odd.
I might replace the pump relais though and I have your input in case the issue re-occurs. This however leaves me with a sense of uncertainty every time I need to start her.
Btw, Thomas kindly sent me one of the bullnose forum stickers. These are great. Thanks again Thomas

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got the sticker!  Thanks, Thomas.  

And glad the truck started, but I understand your concern since you don't know why it didn't start before.  That would worry me also.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
The story continued …. Last sunday she finally quit working whilst we helped a friend with moving house. The engine stopped running during the ride and I had to pull her off the street, fully loaded. The fuel pump is not working anymore and I will work on that when I am back from a week at the Spanish beaches. Will keep you postedECC56C36-C807-433F-9C14-33BA7469A1A0.jpeg
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!  So sorry!

But enjoy your time at the beach, and don't get too sun burned.