classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Motor Trend: Lightning Too Fast For Drag Strip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thought you guys might like this: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-yearlong-review-update-4-drag-racing/?eml=organic%3Aeml%3Abrz%3A051623%3Aford_lightning%3Aarticle%3Aprint%3Amtod&utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mtod_print&lid=d1wsart2qim4
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Motor Trend: Lightning Too Fast For Drag Strip

JimJam300
$80k

Our fleet (local govt) is going electric to prepare for California's EV deadline before it hits, and the bosses are getting Lightning Pro pickups. And yeah they are totally ridiculously faster than they ought to be. It's gonna get silly when they start passing them out to the worker bees with ladder racks and such.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
I can only imagine the horror in the cities, at the drag strips, I mean stop lights.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
«After some questioning from a confused track coordinator assuming I was lost...»

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
I learned to drive electric in 2018, when I bought my Chevy Volt.

I also drove the Tesla of a friend.

If you wanna go far, you have to go smooth.

True it is exciting to crush the pedal to the floor and feel as Maverick compressed in his Super Hornet seat.
But this is the best way to drain the battery so fast that you'll have to walk half of your trip.

I really enjoy my Volt, I do not experiment the "range anxiety", since it is a chargeable hybrid.  No more battery, just continue on the gas.
It's economic, (76 MPG average, for my 5 years driving it).
But you always want to extend your electrical range to its maximum, it's a challenge.  So you develop a different way to drive.

You learn to drive softly.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
BigBrother-84 wrote
I learned to drive electric in 2018, when I bought my Chevy Volt.

I also drove the Tesla of a friend.

If you wanna go far, you have to go smooth.

True it is exciting to crush the pedal to the floor and feel as Maverick compressed in his Super Hornet seat.
But this is the best way to drain the battery so fast that you'll walk half of your trip.

I really enjoy my Volt, I do not experiment the "range anxiety", since it is a chargeable hybrid.  No more battery, just continue on the gas.
It's economic, (76 MPG average, for my 5 years driving it).
But you always want to extend your electrical range to its maximum, it's a challenge.  So you develop a different way to drive.

You learn to drive softly.
They gave me an E Transit at work. I don't drive far enough in a day to worry about running out of juice, but running the electric heater will turn 130 miles of estimated range into 90. Laying off the brake pedal helps too by not sapping potential energy from regeneration. It's really easy to get carried away when driving an EV, not only because of the aforementioned speed, but they're all drive-by-wire and there's no shifting. Whenever you hit the skinny pedal it feels like you're in an endless powerband of a gas engine, and the vehicle feels lighter than it actually is, which makes it difficult NOT to whip around corners and floor it in the straights.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
You think these are scary to be out there, I saw a new hummer out this morning.  9000# soccer mom special with a 3 second 0-60.  My daily does it in 3.8 and that's already scary fast, people are going to cause some serious damage when those don't act the same as their tahoe.