Megiddo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Megiddo

Megiddo
Megiddo is my 84 F250.  He is a farm truck that set unused in a field for many years in the Texas sun.  I bought it from Craig's list sight unseen.  Probably a mistake.  I've spent the last 4 years trying to him into a reliable driving condition.  I live in New England now and have very limited salvage part options since most trucks this vintage have rusted away long ago.  I got a lot of good tips at the other forum from names I see here now.  Thanks for the help.

I think I'm about done mechanically but haven't done any paint or body yet. I had to rebuild the wiring harness from the heat stressed, brittle insulation.  I had the differentials rebuilt (to 3.55).  I swapped in a ZF5-42 and rebuilt transfer case.  Last year I pulled the 2V motor and had it rebuilt to close to the 351W HO specs, that's really just the cam and 4V carb, but I bumped the compression up to 8.6 with new pistons.  The P.O. pulled most of the smog stuff off, so I continued and "upgraded" it to simple 1960's technology with a new Pertronix distributor, Edelbrock intake and Holley carb.  I've got shorty headers to dual exhaust.  I've also rebuilt the heater box and put in a new steering gear box.  I haven't hooked up the air conditioner yet, but I haven't needed it either.

This is my first automotive project since high school, and that was before this truck was built.  I'm having fun with the project and enjoy driving the truck, but my wife still won't ride in it.

Tom
1984 F250 4x4 351W  ZF5-42
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Megiddo

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Tom - Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Megiddo is an interesting name.  As I'm sure you know, there was a city in Bible times called that in what is now northern Israel.

As for buying a truck sight unseen, and especially one that wasn't drivable, I can only shake my head.  But, if you are now almost done with the mechanical bits you've done well.  There can be many, MANY things to fix on something like that.

Concerning your wife not being willing to ride in it, yet, I'll bet she will at some point.  My wife, of 52 years, even suggested we take Dad's truck from OK to DE and back years ago.  And we are leaving soon on a trip to southern AR in Big Blue.

Last, where in New England?  I ask for two reasons.  First, because I've been all over NE.  Second, because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
im curious about where in new england also. many family members there. my father for one.  and yes the rust belt has consumed many of our trucks,
Reply | Threaded
|

Megiddo
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,
I'm in 03053, but grew up in Tulsa.  My Brother-in-law did "inspect" the truck before I bought it, but I've come to question his judgement.  'Megiddo' was a chariot city that was abandoned and the sight of many battles.  That seemed appropriate for this truck, plus it kinda sounds like a south Texas ranch hand.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Tom - You are now on the map.

Tulsa, huh?  Guess you know I'm in Skiatook.  Maybe you could schedule a trip "home" for Labor Day weekend and come up to the show on that Saturday?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Megiddo
I'll keep it in mind, but Labor Day is usually a day of labor for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Megiddo
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Welcome, Tom! Good name for your truck; I like it. Curious why your wife won't ride in it?
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Megiddo
It's probably her first hand knowledge of my technical competence.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
own it bro
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Welcome aboard!

I'm a big fan of the 5spd swap in a Bullnose truck. It's almost all plug N play, and it's a welcome addition.

I've spent a lot of time in NH. We used to hit Laconia Bike Week every year, and have been to the top of Mt. Washington a half a dozen times as well.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Megiddo
My wife definitely wouldn't ride in Megiddo to the top of Mt. Washington!

I got a lot of good advice on the old forum for the ZF5 swap.  The only thing I worried about was moving the crossmember back 2 inches.  I had the holes on the upper brackets slotted out so I could put the front bolt in the back frame hole and drill fewer new holes.20190914_111600.jpg.
There is a local shop that cut my rear drive shaft down.  I found a longer front shaft from an '89 in the junk yard.