Medium Blue & Polar White Tu-Tone Color?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Medium Blue & Polar White Tu-Tone Color?

EasternOvertime
My uncle ordered his 1984 f250 new with a 2 tone paint scheme of medium blue metallic (3P) and Polar White (9D). As a tribute to his old truck I've been thinking about painting my 86 the same color but i'm struggling to find pictures of what it would've looked like. I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a visual on how these colors would look together? My uncles was the "Deluxe tu-tone" which the medium blue on the top half of the cab and lower part of the body with the white stripe running laterally down it. Is Polar white more of a cream or pure white? Is the medium blue dull or bright blue?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Medium Blue & Polar White Tu-Tone Color?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

But you may have missed the email I sent you asking that you go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an intro there.

We ask that you do that since we hold everyone to the guidelines and want you to have had a chance to read them, and that's where they are posted.

Please do that to give you every opportunity to have read them, and then we can pick up here.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
I see an introduction post at 12:00 est but I'm getting the same 404 error that you were a few days ago.  đź¤”

Welcome!
CT represent!  There are a few Nutmeggers here. Ron (Reamer) and Alex for sure.

Gary will ask if you want Storrs on the map.
You can see what other members are around.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I'm guessing that he deleted it, probably because of the orientation of the picture.  And I had this response typed in but it wouldn't go as there was no "parent":

Welcome!  And thanks for doing the intro.  

Nice truck, but you've run afoul of our antiquated technology.  The issue is that this software was written before all of the phones had cameras.  Back in the olden days it was obvious which way is up on a camera.  But it isn't so with a cell phone so they embed orientation info in the metadata of the pic, and most software reads that and reorients the pic before displaying it.  Unfortunately ours doesn't.

So the best way is to re-orient it in some application.  I do it in Photoshop, but most apps will do it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was wondering why the picture didn't open in Gmail.

That sounds like an attractive color combo.
I'd like to see how it turns out
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

EasternOvertime
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Jim - I'm guessing that he deleted it, probably because of the orientation of the picture.  And I had this response typed in but it wouldn't go as there was no "parent":

Welcome!  And thanks for doing the intro.  

Nice truck, but you've run afoul of our antiquated technology.  The issue is that this software was written before all of the phones had cameras.  Back in the olden days it was obvious which way is up on a camera.  But it isn't so with a cell phone so they embed orientation info in the metadata of the pic, and most software reads that and reorients the pic before displaying it.  Unfortunately ours doesn't.

So the best way is to re-orient it in some application.  I do it in Photoshop, but most apps will do it.

Hey Gary you are correct i tried to reorient the picture by manipulating the code with style="transform:rotate(90deg) but when i tried to post the new edit it would not let me post it. In fact i tried to create a new thread and it would also not let me post a new thread. Can you see anything on your end preventing me from editing?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You aren't able to create a new thread?  That is strange!  Please try again.

Reply | Threaded
|

EasternOvertime
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Gary,
I see an introduction post at 12:00 est but I'm getting the same 404 error that you were a few days ago.  đź¤”

Welcome!
CT represent!  There are a few Nutmeggers here. Ron (Reamer) and Alex for sure.

Gary will ask if you want Storrs on the map.
You can see what other members are around.
Thank you Jim for the welcome! and yes I'm fine with Gary putting Storrs, CT on the map.
Reply | Threaded
|

EasternOvertime
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
You aren't able to create a new thread?  That is strange!  Please try again.
I just tried again and still the same thing. Once i add in style="transform:rotate(90deg); to code it locks me out of posting and viewing new previews. It wont let me preview my changes to the image or let me post once i add in style="transform:rotate(90deg); I'm going to try without editing the code
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the problem is that this application uses “NAML” not HTML. Maybe if you tick the HTML box?

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by EasternOvertime
EasternOvertime wrote
My uncle ordered his 1984 f250 new with a 2 tone paint scheme of medium blue metallic (3P) and Polar White (9D). As a tribute to his old truck I've been thinking about painting my 86 the same color but i'm struggling to find pictures of what it would've looked like. I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a visual on how these colors would look together? My uncles was the "Deluxe tu-tone" which the medium blue on the top half of the cab and lower part of the body with the white stripe running laterally down it. Is Polar white more of a cream or pure white? Is the medium blue dull or bright blue?

Hi,

These colours come from the 1984 sale brochure.  Based on that, I suppose the general look of the truck should be similar than this picture.
Be aware that "Polar White" isn't exactly «white».  It's a little bit "creamy".

Do you plan to use the '86 or '84 paint pattern, for you tribute?  They are different.  For '86, the top colour is aligned with the bottom of the side marker light.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

EasternOvertime
BigBrother-84 wrote
Do you plan to use the '86 or '84 paint pattern, for you tribute?  They are different.  For '86, the top colour is aligned with the bottom of the side marker light.

Hey Big brother thanks for replying. I never realized the paint line was different until you mentioned it. Now i'm not sure what i want to go with LOL. Decisions decisions... Is the 1984 polar white less cream than the 1980-83&85 wimbledon white or is it vice versa between those two? My 86 is currently colonial white and its too much of a cream for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

EasternOvertime
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
BigBrother-84 wrote
  For '86, the top colour is aligned with the bottom of the side marker light.
The weird thing here is that from 1980-84 they were inconsistent with whether it was above or below the side marker. In 1985 it looks like they exclusively only painted below the marker. This is very apparent in the 1983 brochure where they have two tu-tones side by side with opposing paint schemes of that nature.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The brochures are notoriously incorrect.  They frequently put wheels or other things on a truck that weren't available.  But the paint break has been consistent from everything I've seen, and the change happened in '85.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by EasternOvertime
EasternOvertime wrote
BigBrother-84 wrote

Hey Big brother thanks for replying. I never realized the paint line was different until you mentioned it. Now i'm not sure what i want to go with LOL. Decisions decisions... Is the 1984 polar white less cream than the 1980-83&85 wimbledon white or is it vice versa between those two? My 86 is currently colonial white and its too much of a cream for me.
I dont know on the cream / white color but the first coat of Wimbledon white on my truck I saw "cream"? But after the Candy Apple red went on it looked more white than cream.

The other thing is the 2 may be the same color by shade just called a different name.
The only way I know to check this out is to find someone that has the mining codes to see if they both use the same colors and amount.
You can try and find the color chips like above and put the 2 together to see but it is the mixing codes that make / break the tint.

I think being your truck is white already I would use the white code you have and just go with the blue color this way you have the right code on the sticker for half the colors on the truck.

Dave ----
transplant from CT 8 years ago
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100