classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mechanical Temperature Gauge Connect

Socnarftrucks
This post was updated on .
The instrument cluster of my 86 F-150 302 is not working at all. So I bought a Bosch unit from autozone. Where in the engine block is this thing supposed to connect? Here?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mechanical Temperature Gauge Connect

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The same place where the factory one is.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
Thank you. Just making sure. Much appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think that water temp probes really need to be in the stream of coolant flow to get an accurate reading.  Some have said that they've put a tee on and then put both probes in, but I'm afraid that doing so will cause my probe to be in a dead pocket of coolant and I won't get a good reading.

So when I needed to add a probe on Big Blue so I could have one for the factory gauge, one for the aftermarket gauge, and one for the EFI system I ordered this thermostat housing that also has a place for the probe.  But that puts the probe after the thermostat, so now I have the factory gauge and the EFI system reading the temp in the block and the aftermarket gauge reading the temp of the coolant going into the radiator.  That means I can watch the coolant temp in the block climb until the thermostat opens and then watch the temp in the discharge climb rapidly.  Now I know if my thermostat is working.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
Great idea. I’d suppose I can put the probe on this port in my thermostat housing and see what happens.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that should work well.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I think that water temp probes really need to be in the stream of coolant flow to get an accurate reading.  Some have said that they've put a tee on and then put both probes in, but I'm afraid that doing so will cause my probe to be in a dead pocket of coolant and I won't get a good reading.
Sorry to threadjack, but while you guys are on the topic of coolant temperature sensors...I have a question as I was just studying this myself.

I have one of these 1983-1985 Mustang 302 aluminum intakes on my truck, and there are two (well, 3 actually) coolant sender ports. Front left corner of intake, and rear left corner of intake. Would it matter which one I used for an electric fan temperature sender and which one was for a temp gauge sender?

The head gaskets are designed to balance the flow so that the coolant doesn't just circulate in the front of the engine, so I assume it doesn't matter which port was used for each one, but wanted to ask the question just in case.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm using to control my electric fan yet...I'm just exploring options.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I haven’t had that opportunity before, so can’t comment definitively.

I was thinking, do you know anyone running one of these manifolds? It would be neat to use an infrared thermometer on all three ports to compare.

ETA: Nice manifold!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
sorry guys but i think you are missing something. is this an efi 302? if so , then the temp sender in the water coolant fitting to the heater hose is not for the guage but for the ecu. the temp sender for the guage is between the dist and the driver side cyl head with one wire going to it. that is the proper location for the temp pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
That is a nice looking intake!
Not a good, technical answer regarding differences in temps at each location but I'd see how the wiring flow works out assuming the gauge wire is part of an existing harness.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote

Talking threadjacking, I have a stupid question absolutely not relevant:
Cory, is this your kitchen sink in the picture??
On my side, I am a dead man if I dare tinkering something bigger than a clean bolt in my house.
Imagine a motor head!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
BigBrother-84 wrote
Talking threadjacking, I have a stupid question absolutely not relevant:
Cory, is this your kitchen sink in the picture??
On my side, I am a dead man if I dare tinkering something bigger than a clean bolt in my house.
Imagine a motor head!
Haha, no sir, that's not my sink...it's not even my picture, it's just one I pulled from the web of the same intake as mine.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary: According to Amazon this thermostat housing doesn’t fit my 86 F-150 with a 302. What engine did you put in on?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I put that on Big Blue’s 460, and didn’t mean it is right for you. But just A pic showing how I did it.