Manual Transmission Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Manual Transmission Question

secretmoose
Already introduced myself in the newbie section.  Have a question about what transmission I have, where to get parts and how on gods green earth to fix the spoon in a bowl of noodles shifter feel. Vague gear selection is being kind.  I think it's an MROD but my only other experience working on older Fords is a 1996 Bronco that my son and I have been rebuilding and that's an auto.
In or around Austin, TX
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Manual Transmission Question

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not been around the M5OD, and since I don't recognize that tranny maybe that's what it is.  But, is the tranny original to the truck?  If so you can ID it from the certification label on the driver's door jamb.  Decode it at Documentation/Specifications/Certification Label.  Click on the "C" that is in the sample certification label for the transmission code, or go directly there at Documentation/Specifications/Transmission Codes.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by secretmoose
That looks like a 4 speed toploader from the pictures, but I don't recall seeing shift linkage like that. Mine was in a 1966 Mustang and the linkage was rods with threaded sections for adjustment.

It may be an overdrive version for a truck, similar the the SROD.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
secretmoose wrote
Have a question about what transmission I have, where to get parts and how on gods green earth to fix the spoon in a bowl of noodles shifter feel. Vague gear selection is being kind.  I think it's an MROD?
That would be the "SMOD" 4spd OD trans. Should be code "B" under Trans on your certification label. Relatively uncommon trans.

https://www.f150hub.com/trans/t170-smod-srod-tod.html

There were two "early" Bullnose 4spd OD transmissions. The SMOD had the three side mounted ("SM", of the SMOD) shifter linkages, and the SROD had the single rail shifter (SR) with the shifter mounted way at the back of the transmission. The quick way to ID that you have an SMOD or an SROD is that the shifter is way back by the bench seat, in the rear of of the tunnel cover like yours is. Then you look at the linkages to determine SR or SM. The later 4spd OD trans was the TOD, but it was an aluminum trans, and the shifter was forward in the tunnel cover, like a regular/common/current manual shifter.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good job, Cory!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Good job, Cory!  
X2
I like the break down of the SM & SR as it makes more sense to me now (yes I can be a little slow on the pick up )
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I now better understand SM and SR.  But my pickup's not slow - it has a 460, and I'm the first one to the next gas station.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, I now better understand SM and SR.  But my pickup's not slow - it has a 460, and I'm the first one to the next gas station. 
And maybe the last one to leave?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Actually, not always.  With the 90's tanks and fillers I can pump it in pretty fast.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
X2
I like the break down of the SM & SR as it makes more sense to me now (yes I can be a little slow on the pick up )
Dave ----
And the SROD was used in 4x4 applications...it's very easy to spot because it's kind of funky looking. The trans shifter and 4x4 shifter are side by side, and the 4x4 shifter is on the RIGHT of the transmission shifter.
I think they were pretty rare to begin with, and you won't see them much (if at all) after about 1982.

Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
So mine is a trans code B and is the SROD. So it could be either SMOD or SROD with a code B or as Ford calls mine on the report they sent me 4-Speed Clark Manual Overdrive Transmission.
Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
81f100custom wrote
So mine is a trans code B and is the SROD. So it could be either SMOD or SROD with a code B or as Ford calls mine on the report they sent me 4-Speed Clark Manual Overdrive Transmission.
Ya, I forgot about that Clark Transmission bit. As far as I'm aware, that's a mistake in the Ford documentation. I do remember Gary talking about it a couple years ago...I think he found some info to confirm that it was indeed a documentation error.

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I had a T170 RTS (TOD) in my '84. Everyone says the T170s are common, but from my personal experience they aren't. I think people like to use them in old Ford rods because they are really short for a transmission with an overdrive. Anyway, I did find this guy up in the Northwest who knows a lot about them (at least he did the TOD). Might be worth reaching out to him for parts and/or advice.

http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/

LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

secretmoose
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Thanks for the clarification and all your responses.  So it is indeed what I thought, an SMOD.  Interestingly enough it has a trans code of F, which I believe is a T18.  Apparently it's led an interesting life.  Does anyone know where I can get parts for it?  How to take the slop out of the shifter?
In or around Austin, TX
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I've bought some parts from a couple of places with decent luck:

https://www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com/tremec-t170-srod-rug-rts-t176-t177-heh/ (bought diff and transfer case parts)
https://shop.midwesttrans.com/ (they modified my ZF5 shifter to make it short-throw)

Also, this place sells an overhaul kit: https://www.drivetrain.com

I don't know why your shifter is sloppy. Sounds like it's a symptom of a bigger problem.

LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

secretmoose
Thanks for the links!  I thought I'd ask here before I start tearing things apart.
In or around Austin, TX
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've purchased from Midwest Transmission and gotten good parts and good service.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
secretmoose wrote
Thanks for the clarification and all your responses.  So it is indeed what I thought, an SMOD.  Interestingly enough it has a trans code of F, which I believe is a T18.  Apparently it's led an interesting life.  Does anyone know where I can get parts for it?  How to take the slop out of the shifter?
If the truck originally had a T18, that probably explains the cover over the original shifter holes in the tunnel cover. Maybe they came like that from Ford in the 3spd w/OD trucks, I don't know. I guess that begs the question, what year is the trans that's in it now? They're probably all the same anyway, between 1978-1982 or however long they existed.

Getting parts for that transmission is one thing, but getting parts for the shifter is a whole other story. Call one of the places that specializes in Ford "Toploader" transmissions, and see if they can direct you.

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/

You have what I think they call a Toploader Imposter ha!

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm

You can probably buy a Hurst shifter for it...that would make it shift NICE, but it will in turn make your wallet feel quite loose and sloppy...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
It's funny you mention the M5OD because it had notorious shifter bushing issues. If you have the time/money/concern or a desire for horsepower I'd swap out the SMOD honestly. You have a ton of options if this is what you choose. I am biased though.

As far as parts go, they are likely going to be slim and none. I don't know how many parts are going to be shared between the SMOD and the rest of the RUG family but it's possible there are some. This might sound elementary but hopefully it's useful: find the part numbers for whatever it is you need, then search the part numbers rather than "SMOD parts". If your transmission is uncommon or forgotten in time it may not be on a parts compatibility list for items that go in like 30 different transmissions.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

secretmoose
Many thanks, that was the plan!
In or around Austin, TX