classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
54 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lubricant Resource?

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, the chart displays fine on my phone in horizontal mode. In vertical position the wrapped text gets a little ridiculous since it wants to display the whole width in smashed columns instead of scrolling.

Is the E4OD going to be included at some point as it is another popular retrofit?

I did not see the gear oil transfer cases on the chart, or is that what you were talking about needing to add lines to the spreadsheet? Would it be beneficial to name the t case models used 80-86 to clarify which ones get that fluid?

It probably needs its own chart, but I still think a list of capacities would be helpful.

And THANK YOU for all the work you put into this!!!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Jonathan - Which chart, the Tables, Spreadsheet, or Word Doc?  Or, can you not see the document on the spreadsheet and doc tabs?

And, we do need to add the E4OD, which means yet another row will be needed.

As for the gear oil, I haven't gotten that far as I didn't want to put more effort into a table that may get ditched.  But I do agree with need to call out the t-case models as their lubes vary.

Boy, this is getting more and more complex.  Which may be why it doesn't already exist.  But, it'll be worth it.  And, you are welcome.  

EDIT: My iphone, running Safari on iOS 10.x sees the spreadsheet and Word doc just fine. This iPad’s Safari on iOS 11 doesn’t see either of them. Just gives a white space. But Chrome on iOS 11 sees them just fine. 😳

And, I’ve discovered that the way I was doing the Word doc, meaning dropping the spreadsheet onto a page in the doc,isn’t going to work. That’s because it renders the page into an image and Google won’t be able to find the words, meaning you can’t find them via a search. But, the spreadsheet does present them as words and they should be able to be found.  Given that and how cleanly my pdf software creates a spreadsheet from a document I’d say that’s the way to go.

And, that gives me an idea. On the Transfer Case page and the Manual and Automatic transmission pages there are tables from the parts catalog of which transfer cases were used when and in what trucks. But they are all jumbled up and there seems to be little logic to it. However, I could output those pages into a spreadsheet and sort them by t-case and then year and then model and we might have something. Thoughts?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I've turned the corner on how to do the documentation - spreadsheet.  I've put the lube section of the 1985 owner's manual on the Using Spreadsheet tab of the Lubricant Specifications page.  And I've tested it with these results:

Windows machines running Chrome - works well

12" iPad Pro running Safari on iOS 11.0.1 - works well

iPad Mini running Safari on iOS 11.0.2 - cannot see the spreadsheet at all  

iPad Mini running Chrome on iOS 11.0.2 - works well

iPhone 6 running Safari on iOS 10.3.3 - works well

So, please go check it out yourself and let me know how it works for you.

If it appears to be working well then I'm confident this is the way to go as Google should be able to read the text so we'll be able to search for the info - in a few days after Google crawls the site again.  And, I can do things with the spreadsheet, like inserting rows or columns, changing widths, etc to get the info usable.

What 'cha think?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
The table displays well in horizontal mode, the spreadsheet displays and scrolls well, the word doc is cut off even in horizontal and cannot scroll. I like the spreadsheet view on my iPhone.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it is working.  Let's see, you have an iPhone 7?  What iOS are you on?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Glad it is working.  Let's see, you have an iPhone 7?  What iOS are you on?
10.3.3. I'm nervous to upgrade to 11, I've heard things about battery drain 😬

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm running it on the iPad and haven't noticed any battery drain problems.  But I have noticed that it is a bit slower - I think.  And I haven't upgraded the phone as my app that keeps my gas mileage records doesn't run under 11.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I just learned another way place PDF's on the website.  Check out the Using PDF tab that replaced the Using Word Doc tab.  I think that Google can find the words/numbers in it, but we won't know for sure for several days.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Well, I just learned another way place PDF's on the website.  Check out the Using PDF tab that replaced the Using Word Doc tab.  I think that Google can find the words/numbers in it, but we won't know for sure for several days.
That works nice Gary, I hope google searches work 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I just added the new way to post PDF's above the old way on the BW1345 tab on the Transfer Case page.  Which do you like  best?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I just added the new way to post PDF's above the old way on the BW1345 tab on the Transfer Case page.  Which do you like  best?
I got a prompt asking for permission to your google drive.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, I forgot to make it public.  But it is now.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Okay Gary, I can see both formats now. Both work just fine, but I like the new way slightly better. For one it displays just ever so slightly larger, and second it has a little grey border around each page which makes it easier to keep track of which page you are on as you scroll through. At least this is my experience on my iPhone 7 plus.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks. Those are my observations as well. But I’ll give you another. On my iPad mini and iPhone you can’t use the full screen option on Scribd. It says that’s not available on that document, although it works on a Windows machine. But the Google approach does work for full screen. 👌