Love my truck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Love my truck

IowaTom
I've had my truck two years now and after many challenges and posts here - with your super helpful answers - knock on wood, I think most of the bugs are worked out and I really enjoy driving the truck.  In fact, I've gotten to where I no longer hold my breath on start-up or go dry mouth in traffic!  

Replaced a lot of stuff when I first tore into the project, and had other issues pop up, alluding to that "peeling an onion" characterization Gary mentioned.  Thankfully, now she shifts fine, stops great and after replacing the column with a good rebuilt tilt model; starts great and is comfy to drive.

This one's a keeper.  I've owned a few Rangers in my time but glad my neighbor had this ol' girl to sell when I came over.

The last thing I had done was windshield replacement and I let professionals do it.  The old one was delaminating around the edges and it leaked terribly in rain.  Took her out in a driving rain this morning and was delighted when nary a drop got in.

I could go spend a ridiculous 70K on a new, big ugly something that does everything but blow my nose, but I'd never have the fun and sense of accomplishment I get with my $3,500 investment in my almost 39 year old Ford.
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Love my truck

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It really is fun when you get essentially through peeling the onion.  I say "essentially through" as there's always something - like the Blue Top box I'm installing now.  But I've sure had a lot of fun with it, and know what you are experiencing.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by IowaTom
I totally agree with that about new vehicles. To me, they don't even look good(except the Mazda MX-5 Miata), and they sure don't look like any fun to drive or own. Nobody that I know who has them really likes them, and they all wish they had their old truck that they are still kicking themselves for getting rid of. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for the effort I've put into this old bullnose, but when it's done it'll be just like I want it.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
IowaTom wrote
I could go spend a ridiculous 70K on a new, big ugly something that does everything but blow my nose, but I'd never have the fun and sense of accomplishment I get with my $3,500 investment in my almost 39 year old Ford.
Well said I even like driving the pick up more than my 02 Durango as I bought it new and did no work to it unlike the pick up, full cab off rebuild.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's another perk that hasn't been said.  Everywhere I go in Big Blue I get someone giving me a thumbs-up.  

And the other night a young lady and her boy friend came by trick-or-treating and she said to her boy friend "This is the guy I told you about with the pickup."

I don't get that with my new truck.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
There's another perk that hasn't been said.  Everywhere I go in Big Blue I get someone giving me a thumbs-up.  

And the other night a young lady and her boy friend came by trick-or-treating and she said to her boy friend "This is the guy I told you about with the pickup."

I don't get that with my new truck.
I stopped in for parts when fixing the bucking issue and when I walked in a mon & son were walking out.
When I came out they were waiting and the son wanted to talk about the truck.
He was 13 and into the older cars & trucks.
I had my picture book I take to shows to show them all the work that was done.

I told them he should get something he likes that dose not need a lot of work, could get over his head and give up. Build it the way he wants not the way others want him to build it.
Also if they had classes at school to take them. Also if he knew anyone that has a shop or works on cars & truck so spend time with them and help when he could as he could learn from them.

We talked for about 30 mins. I also told them of car shows around the area and how to look them up. Maybe we will have new blood keeping the old iron going
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's neat, Dave.  New blood!

I really should do a picture book.  I have all the pics, but haven't printed any of them.  Instead I rely on the info card I've printed to tell everyone what I've done to Big Blue, and that seems to be enough to win "best modifications".  (Or maybe it should be "most modifications"?  )

But your advice is very sound.  Build it your way, but do some research before starting to figure out what "your way" really should be.  And join a forum.

However, there are forums and then there are forums.  Steve Fox/Foxford33 was over yesterday and he was bemoaning the fact that the people in the Jeep Wagoneer forums are the "buy it" rather than "build it" types.  He is going with a Ford drive train in his Wagoneer and will need to interface a Ford speedo cable with the Jeep speedo.  

The Jeep speedo has threads while the Ford cable has the white plastic snap that latches onto the speedo.  But it turns out the Jeep speedo has the exact same threads as a Ford speed sensor.  But no one in the Jeep Wagoneer forums has figured that out.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Yes forums / internet for information and what you may want to go after to build.

That "other Ford forum" has a lot of different years from day 1 of ford up to the last truck that rolled off the line.
I look over all of them, well not so much the new stuff, to see what others have done and maybe steal a clue or 2 from them.

Then again someone has to be the first to do something that has not been done or posted of.
Take the ribbed bed floor of my flare side. I dont remember seeing that posted any where before.

The rear dual tank I have seen but the posts did not really go into all that it took to make it happen.

The "floating" bumpers, no bolts showing, front & rear is more of a 50's thing my dad said they did back in the day. Sorry to say he is not with us to see I took his clue on them.
And my flare on the front bumper was to add the fog / driving lights in the bumpers like the new stuff has.

You cant limit yourself to just the years your car / truck was built to make it your own.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
FuzzFace2 wrote
That "other Ford forum" has a lot of different years from day 1 of ford up to the last truck that rolled off the line.
And a LOT of annoying and distracting adds and videos popping here and there.

I heard somewhere that, in its past, this site was similar to Gary’s forum… before somebody “sold” it to some web moneymakers.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, from what I've heard the "other" forum had no adverts originally.  But by the time I joined in 2010 there were adverts.  And yes, it got sold and that's when the adverts popped up.

My intent is that this forum will never have adverts.  I've instructed Janey and our kids that they need to keep up the various things that make it tick, and never sell it.  But I really need to write that into my will.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Tom, that's the way I feel, one thing I don't like about the newer trucks is the nanny state mandated "options". Darth has no ABS, no air bags, I did add outboard shoulder belts in the rear (holes were already there). I have an aftermarket radio my son gave me that has hands free telephone capability.

I have updated the things I feel were improvements, like the later speed control, complete 1996 HVAC system that was designed for R134a, an E4OD transmission replacing the C6 (which would have needed a full replacement due to the rear sprag clutch race loose in the case), updating the engine from a carbureted dual air pump setup to a 1996 CA spec MAF/SEFI system, but still non-catalyst.

Interior has a 1995 dash and steering column and will have a nice refrigerator/freezer console from a 2009 Ford Flex. Front seats are Lincoln Continental 12 way memory for the driver, just 12 way for the passenger. I installed a remote keyless entry with number pad. Rear seat is from a 1996, along with the power sliding rear window.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
My intent is that this forum will never have adverts.  I've instructed Janey and our kids that they need to keep up the various things that make it tick, and never sell it.
What else to say, thanks Gary!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
We're gonna need some pictures of that console install!
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.