classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking For Organizational Help On Documentation

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I need help!  (Yes, y'all knew that, but if you are here then maybe you do as well?)  This site needs re-organized.  And I need help in doing so.

The person(s) doesn't/don't have to do all the work, but we need someone(s) to come up with ideas to make things easier to find.

I'll give you an example.  The 1980 instrument bezels are a one-year wonder and Ralph came up with good pics of an 80 vs an 81, shown below.  In them you can easily see that the turn signal arrows and Seatbelt/Brake warning lights have swapped places.  That means you will get wonky results if you use an 80 bezel on an 81+ truck or vice versa.

So I want to update the documentation with these pics, and I've found that similar info is in three places:

Documentation/Interior/Dash: There you will find that the instrument bezel is base part number 044D70, but not much else other than the part numbers of the glove box.

Documentation/Electrical/Gauges: Here you'll see part numbers for the gauges as well as the printed circuits, but nothing about bezels.  But on the Printed Circuit Pinouts tab there are the pinouts for the 1981+ connectors to the gauge cluster as well as this statement: "These are the pin-outs for the printed circuit connections to the gauges.  However, this is for 1981 - 86 trucks as pins 17 and 18 are swapped for the 1980 trucks.  In fact, if you want to use a 1981-86 cluster in a 1980 truck you need to read this: HOWTO: 81-86 gauge cluster in 80 model (gauge models ONLY!)"

Documentation/Interior/Instrument & Radio Bezels: Here we have the part numbers for all of the various bezels, but no pictures and no mention that while the 1980 instrument bezels will fit an 81+ truck they won't work properly.

So I need HELP!  I need someone(s) with good organizational skills to help me rationalize things.  Any takers?  Please!

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking For Organizational Help On Documentation

85lebaront2
Administrator
I can probably help you with it, at least some of it.

Isn't it fun how this stuff evolves, at Least Ford is reasonably consistent on circuit numbers and colors on wiring, problem I usually run into is the change from dots and hash marks to stripes. I was sorting through what seems to be a 1987-89 5.0L engine harness I found while searching for pieces to send the Steve for his "Feep" project. I know it is a 5.0L harness due to the presence of a knock sensor plug, I know it is 1987-1989 due to the obvious TFI and SPOUT jumper plug near the engine front (remote TFI started in 1990) and the 4 8-pin plugs as that was only used 1987-1991, 1992-1997 has the 40 pin square plug next to the PDC, 1985-1986 5.0L EFI had the two part harness with the EEC and EEC power relay under the dash.

Let me know what you would like done.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Feep!  I'll hit him with that tonight at church.  

Which reminds me that he texted night before last to ask about the bulb that was in the OD switch you apparently sent him.  I'm guessing the bulb is out and he's looking for a replacement.  And today I was supposed to look at presumably the same switch I took out of Huck, the 1990 half-truck. I forgot, but we think we can replace it with an LED.  And we'll figure that out together as I need it as well.

Anyway, this stuff does evolve.  As does my understanding of how to put things on the website.  Early on I made individual pages, but now I know I can put tabs on pages.

So, that brings me to what I think needs to be done.  Let's start with the immediate problem, dash bezels/gauges/wiring, and I'm wondering if we could consolidate things onto one page.  But I don't know where to put it.  Nor what all to put on it.

Can you, or others, come up with ideas on that?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I would think similar to how you did suspension, Break it down with tabs, Bezels, and the variations on them. I believe the fresh air vent option and the AC may be the same, but it might have varied by year. Then Gauges with the options, at least as far as I know the only real variation is with or without tachometer. Finally wiring, I am not sure my AllData has the connectors for the cluster on the early ones. What I do, is like the EEC connectors, an Excel spreadsheet with the pins identified as Ford did, then circuit numbers and colors.

The OD cancel switch is the same one you have, it came from "Big Ugly" the 1990 F250 parts truck. Look up the bulb for a 1990 F250.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, Ralph has added fuel to the fire with this 1982+ bezel, although by the color he probably knows exactly what year it is.  In any event, we need some ORGANIZATION.  And I'm not getting there.