Locking Hood Release Restoration

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Locking Hood Release Restoration

MotorsportXLT
Hello, so just last week i found a locking hood release cable in my local junkyard. It for sure needs a restoration. I found the write up on FTE, but all of the pictures are gone. I am hoping that who posted it on FTE is on here. I attached the link on the bottom.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1086424-broken-how-to-repair-locking-hood-release-cable.html

Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1989 F-250HD XLT Lariat Super Cab
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Locking Hood Release Restoration

salans7
This post was updated on .
Hi Chris, I'm the one you're looking for.

I wrote that many years ago, and I believe those pictures are long gone as I have not been able to find them on any of my memory cards from the time I wrote that. I will check again just to make sure I didn't overlook them somewhere. I will reply with whatever I can find. I believe another member here has made the repair as well, but I cannot recall who, or whether they took detailed pictures.

*EDIT*

I looked through all of my memory cards, and found one that has a corrupt file system, and I believe the pictures are probably on that one as they are not on the others.

Here's one of the photos I was able to salvage. I have a working original locking hood release in my new truck, so I will use that to reproduce some of the pictures so that we have a working how-to here as these locks come up for question every once in awhile.

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
Just curious... What goes wrong with them? My '81 has one, and it works perfectly. I'd like to keep it that way!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
myrl883 wrote
Just curious... What goes wrong with them? My '81 has one, and it works perfectly. I'd like to keep it that way!
The cables break or fray, or they get cut in the engine bay and the whole cable needs to be replaced. I think the cable was cut on the one I had for my F150, hence the need for replacement. The one I bought for my F350 works fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
In reply to this post by salans7
Thank you so much! I would really appreciate that! My dad has one he wants to rebuild for his dentside.
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - You may not have seen his how-to here.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by MotorsportXLT
I swapped the cable from a non-locking one to my locking one here since the non-locking cable was in good shape.
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p46162.html
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
kramttocs wrote
I swapped the cable from a non-locking one to my locking one here since the non-locking cable was in good shape.
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p46162.html
Would you be okay with Gary adding some of your pics and descriptions to the how-to I wrote, specifically the ones showing how you replaced the retaining ring since I wasn't able to show that part? I would like to see you get credit for your contribution as well since it is very detailed.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
No need for any credit at all. Feel free to absorb them into your guide - thanks a lot for putting that together.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To be honest, I'd forgotten about yours, Scott.  Sorry.  I fully intended to save it to a page in the documentation section, but forgot.  

Shaun - Can you do the integration and then show me what changed?  What to add?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Will work on it now.

Thanks Scott!
Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
In reply to this post by MotorsportXLT
Thank you so much for posting this! I will be rebuilding one soon!
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning