List Of Connectors, Their Locations, Pinouts, etc?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

List Of Connectors, Their Locations, Pinouts, etc?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guys - I was just looking for info on a particular connector and it occurred to me that it would be nice to have a list of connectors, locations, pinouts, references to it in the EVTM's, etc.

Does this sound helpful?  What all should be in it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: List Of Connectors, Their Locations, Pinouts, etc?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, there is a large foldout set of diagrams available (or was) that is more like a blueprint. It has at least partial connector PNs and locations. I had the 1986 and 1990 ones along with the one for the 1990 Town Car. Unfortunately in the rest of the frantic emptying on the stuff in Newport News, they were one of the casualties. Here is their site, but the list only goes back to 1995: https://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Yes.  That was what I was thinking would be the starting point for this exercise.

And those are available here: Documentation/Electrical/Wiring Diagrams.  We have both the '85 and '86 on site.  Here's a page from the '85 diagrams and you can see some of the connector info.  But they are scattered over the 16 pages of those diagrams.

But since I have those diagrams scanned in as pdf's I can zoom in and show some serious detail, like below.  So if we had a table of all the connectors with some info about them and where they are we could also include a link to a shot like the one below.

Thoughts, y'all?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, the numbers next to the connector face pictures are the harness numbers. 14401 is the dash harness, 9D930 is engine. You get the picture. I had started doing a spread sheet on those, but without the big wiring book I wasn't able to get very far.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, you are right.  So, if we got really fancy our table could include the name of the harness.  And if you wanted you could then go to Documentation/Electrical/Wiring Harnesses and see the part numbers - for those for which we have that info on the page.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This discussion is already paying benefits.  In wiring for the security system I wanted to tap into the DG/Y wire at the instrument cluster connector.  But I really like making SURE I have the right wire so wanted to know which pin that wire is on.

The EVTM shows that as C-208A, so I wondered which page in the wiring diagrams that is on and glanced at the screen I had open with C-326 showing.  Guess what - it is there just to the right.  

But there seems to be little rhyme nor reason as to why the connectors are on the page they are on.  C-208A isn't used on Page 16.  So wouldn't it be nice to have a table that shows something like:

Connector #
Physical Location
Color
# of pins
Circuit #
Link to an illustration showing pinout

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'll admit I am not yet seeing a big benefit of it over what the EVTM already provides but am looking forward to the discussion and result.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you know where all of the connectors are?  I don't.  And while the EVTM usually tells it isn't always on the same page where the connector is shown.  I have a file that has the whole of the '85 EVTM and I sometimes open it up and search for the connector just to find where it is shown.

This may be a huge effort, but I won't know until I try.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I guess what I am thinking is that it's going to be unlikely for someone to have only the CXXX number and not any other context/info on it that would let them know which section in the EVTM to look at.

That said, since the EVTM only shows what is relevant for that section, I can see the benefit of knowing what else is using that connector.
For example on the Digital Clock page C125 is an 8 terminal connector but only 4 are represented in the diagram. A quick way to see the other 4 would be nice.
For that a simple printout of the connectors and the diagram numbers they are in would be something I'd immediately print out and store in my EVTM.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have MULTIPLE questions so will post at least two times with the questions.

First, I'm not sure what you mean by "diagram numbers", Scott.  I think "diagram" is the same as "page" & "figure"?  If so, then is something like this what you mean?

The downside of this, apart from being difficult to get into a spreadsheet, is that it doesn't give the page # where the connector is used or shown in the wiring.  I know you know this, but for others the "figure" mentioned is an illustration of where the connector actually is.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Next question(s): What if we were to have the information above in a table we could edit and we added the page #'s in the EVTM where the connector is used?

But, if you like that idea, then which EVTM?  I'm working off the 1985 version, but were there connectors added for '86?  I know the page #'s will change between the years, so is this really helpful?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I should have been clearer but I was meaning just the page numbers of the diagram where the Connector is shown. So diagram # = page #.

Since the Component Location table you listed is already in the EVTM I don't see a need to recreate that information.

I am thinking of something simple like:

Connector              Page

C123                      45,50
C124                         44
C124                      33,18,12

(made up data)
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Last, ? for the moment: I've put up a test page called, oddly enough, Electrical Connectors.  It is currently last in the menu.  And in it I've added the illustrations for 18 of the connectors as well as a spreadsheet that shows what I was thinking would be the info we want.  However, in light of Scott's question and the subsequent thinking through of the implications thereof I've changed my thinking to include the information about where the connectors are used and where they show in a "figure".

Having said that, I need some help.  In that spreadsheet you can see that there are three connectors that plug into the fuse box and support add-on functions, like power door locks and windows.  These are C-416, C-424, and C-445.  HOWEVER, as shown below, in the EVTM they carry the #'s C1961, C1960, and C1962 respectively.

HELP!  What am I missing?  

Is this a case of two different sets of numbers for the same connector, one for the EVTM and one for the wiring diagrams?  (I haven't been able to find, yet, those connectors in the wiring diagrams.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Unfortunately just because a connector is shown being used on a page in the EVTM doesn't always mean that it is listed on that page in that table.  I can't give you an example, but I've had it happen many, many times where I couldn't find the connector I was looking for in a table on the appropriate page, only to find it elsewhere.

Which is one reason I have the '85 EVTM in one PDF - I can search it for all uses of a given term.

Anyway, that's why I think the all-up table would be good as you'd have one place to go to find all the info on any one connector.  So now I'm thinking the info would include the color of the connector, the # of pins, the approximate location, the pages on which it is shown in the circuits, and the pages & figures in which it is depicted.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That difference in connector numbers for the fuse box add-ins is odd.

Don't get me wrong - having it in an all in one table is going to be the best. I was just trying to avoid you having to recreate any data that is already in the EVTM. But that is based on my assumption that one will always have the EVTM in one hand (or browser tab) while referencing the new Connector Table as a supplement.

As a standalone document though, filling out anything and everything about the connector regardless if it exists in the EVTM makes sense
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not in a big hurry on this and am kind of testing the waters.  But many times I've wanted to know what to find a given connector and the page I was on in the EVTM didn't have it listed.  Or I wanted to know what other circuits were in it.

So I'm going to dabble with it a bit and see what I can come up with.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I really feel like the guy who's popping up hours after the party is over...
Anyway, better late than never, I suppose.

Gary Lewis wrote
Guys - I was just looking for info on a particular connector and it occurred to me that it would be nice to have a list of connectors, locations, pinouts, references to it in the EVTM's, etc.
Gary, I had exactly the same thoughts this morning, looking to identify a connector.

kramttocs wrote
For example on the Digital Clock page C125 is an 8 terminal connector but only 4 are represented in the diagram. A quick way to see the other 4 would be nice.
Ok, so mine isn't the famous C125, since it has only 7 pins.
I'm gonna post my question in a separate thread.

But about this discussion, would be nice to:
• Look at the EVMT and spot couple of connectors in the involved truck's area.
• Go to a "connectors specs" bible, where connectors diagrams are simply sorted numerically.

I don't think that any index or table is required.  Just each connector drawing (or picture) and the color code of each wire.

Gary, your test page looks enough for me.  Too bad C125 isn't listed.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - When I'm really old, not just sorta old like I am now, that table would be something I might be able to create.  But right now there are more important things to do.

Having said that, if someone wants to take it upon themself to do this I'd love to help.  I have a number of tools that would come in handy, but it would take a lot of time.  So for now it is easier to solve the problem one question at a time.